Dick Winters up for the Medal of Honor?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Post Reply
User avatar
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Australia

Post by Willhelm Gruber II » Tue May 01, 2007 1:29 am

i say give it to him
"Gott Mit Uns"

User avatar
DXTR
Contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by DXTR » Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

I say why not award the Medal of Honour to Captain John H Miller 2. ranger batt., C Coy?

I mean, his exploits at Ramelle were extraordinary....

pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:07 am

DXTR wrote:I say why not award the Medal of Honour to Captain John H Miller 2. ranger batt., C Coy?

I mean, his exploits at Ramelle were extraordinary....
Do you think Pvt Ryan should get one too?

User avatar
DXTR
Contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by DXTR » Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 am

pzrmeyer2 wrote:
DXTR wrote:I say why not award the Medal of Honour to Captain John H Miller 2. ranger batt., C Coy?

I mean, his exploits at Ramelle were extraordinary....
Do you think Pvt Ryan should get one too?
No, unlike Miller he spent most of the battle in a crater....

pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:58 am

DXTR wrote:
pzrmeyer2 wrote:
DXTR wrote:I say why not award the Medal of Honour to Captain John H Miller 2. ranger batt., C Coy?

I mean, his exploits at Ramelle were extraordinary....
Do you think Pvt Ryan should get one too?
No, unlike Miller he spent most of the battle in a crater....
What should we give Upham? and how about Rafe the pilot from Pearl Harbor?

User avatar
DXTR
Contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by DXTR » Tue May 01, 2007 6:13 am

pzrmeyer2 wrote:
DXTR wrote:
pzrmeyer2 wrote:
DXTR wrote:I say why not award the Medal of Honour to Captain John H Miller 2. ranger batt., C Coy?

I mean, his exploits at Ramelle were extraordinary....
Do you think Pvt Ryan should get one too?
No, unlike Miller he spent most of the battle in a crater....
What should we give Upham? and how about Rafe the pilot from Pearl Harbor?
First of all, I think Lando Calrissian deserves one too....

User avatar
Rajin Cajun
Banned
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:02 pm
Location: Utah, United States

Post by Rajin Cajun » Tue May 01, 2007 7:07 am

Having read Winters biography I can tell you he wouldn't want the Medal it wasn't about medals for him. Just sounds like a bunch of groupies who went to get him the Medal...though its pretty stupid to do that via petition. :?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

User avatar
DXTR
Contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Post by DXTR » Tue May 01, 2007 7:58 am

Rajin Cajun wrote:Having read Winters biography I can tell you he wouldn't want the Medal it wasn't about medals for him. Just sounds like a bunch of groupies who went to get him the Medal...though its pretty stupid to do that via petition. :?
I have all the respect for Winters, although BoB is my only source. I find it troubeling that popular culture and Hollywood should have a hand in who is a hero or not. That is precisely why I asked for Tom Hanks' character Miller in SPR to get a medal.

But all too often we find that "heroes" are not just celebrated for their actions alone, but how profitable they are to the propaganda industry.

But anyway, RC I think you are spot on calling them groupies.....

pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:11 pm

First of all, I think Lando Calrissian deserves one too....
What about Wedge and those other 2 X and Y wing pilots leaving the first Death Star? Luke and the MF crew got those gold medals afterward. I mean, what did Chewie do to deserve it more than those pilots?

phylo_roadking
Patron
Posts: 8459
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Post by phylo_roadking » Tue May 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Yep, big shiny Republican medal for Wedge Antilles and Porkins - but not Biggs cos he was a [email protected]
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds

Post Reply
cron