Telegraph Article........three million died after

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

just before you go...
I was contrasting how the Western Allies failed in their plan to ruralise Germany compared to German thoroughness in carrying out its plans to kill all its Soviet POWs
So ARE you realy saying you think the wilfully neglient deaths of hundreds of thousands if not millions of civilians caused by the Good Guys should be compared to the German Bad Guys' killing of Soviet POWs?

P.S. - you're saying it failed??? Time for you to run along and do a LOT more research....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

So ARE you realy saying you think the wilfully neglient deaths of hundreds of thousands if not millions of civilians caused by the Good Guys should be compared to the German Bad Guys' killing of Soviet POWs?
I wonder about THAT defense tactic myself...I mean they WERE the good guys fighting to make sure the bad guys can't do anything like that anymore right?

:shock:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yep....two wrongs don't make a right - that only works in algebra :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

This is boring now. I must find another dog to kick. I leave you to your revisionist view about the terrible Western Allies raping and pillaging a blameless Germany for no good reason.

to help you here is the figure Bacque fabricated-sorry I mean calculated
so its "revisionist" to acknowledge the historical record about Allied treatment of postwar Germans?

I think sadly your obsession with Bacque can only be treated pharmacologically. Now about just once, addressing the central focus of this thread--not Bacque, not the Germans' treatment of Soviet POWs, but namely.....

Point 1: His best estimate is that some three million Germans died unnecessarily after the official end of hostilities.

True or False? Counter-evidence?

Point 2: A million soldiers vanished before they could creep back to the holes that had been their homes. The majority of them died in Soviet captivity

True or False? ? Counter-evidence?

Point 3: (of the 90,000 who surrendered at Stalingrad, only 5,000 eventually came home)

Point 4: but, shamingly, many thousands perished as prisoners of the Anglo-Americans. Herded into cages along the Rhine, with no shelter and very little food, they dropped like flies.

Point 5:Others, more fortunate, toiled as slave labour in a score of Allied countries, often for years. Incredibly, some Germans were still being held in Russia as late as 1979.

Point 6:The two million German civilians who died were largely the old, women and children: victims of disease, cold, hunger, suicide - and mass murder.

Phylo hgas posted a lot of 1st hand documents outlining the Allied plan as well as the thoughts of Allied leaders about postwar treatment. Care to address them? Bacque and a million murdered POWs were not mentioned. Just once, can we get an on-topic response?
haen2
WWII Vet

p.o.w

Post by haen2 »

Hi Pzermeyer,

I think personally that it is time to close the thread.I have been through this several times before on other, some no longer exixting forums, and it ALWAYS ends up with ""your dog was meaner than my dog".

Keep in mind that the "allies= good guys, and Axis = bad guys" stories have been pumped into the mainstream news for over 60 years.

There is now third generation who only know history from what they "heard" and "read". most of it parotted from faulty information.

The old folks who know the truth are dying off, and the legacy is determined by what they told, or wrote.

I think it will take another 50 years, before ALL records are opened and REAL science writers can determine who spoke the truth, and who did not.

Perhaps you will live that long ! so good reading !.

HN.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
pzrmeyer2

Re: p.o.w

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

haen2 wrote:Hi Pzermeyer,

I think personally that it is time to close the thread.I have been through this several times before on other, some no longer exixting forums, and it ALWAYS ends up with ""your dog was meaner than my dog".

Keep in mind that the "allies= good guys, and Axis = bad guys" stories have been pumped into the mainstream news for over 60 years.

There is now third generation who only know history from what they "heard" and "read". most of it parotted from faulty information.

The old folks who know the truth are dying off, and the legacy is determined by what they told, or wrote.

I think it will take another 50 years, before ALL records are opened and REAL science writers can determine who spoke the truth, and who did not.

Perhaps you will live that long ! so good reading !.

HN.

Thanks Haen!....While I hope to still be kicking as an 80something, I fear by then it wil only be worse as far as manipulation of the truth goes. And besides, I'l probably be paying restitution as the grandson of a Wehrmacht Landser to the billions of offspring of every "victim". :D
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

http://hnn.us/articles/1266.html

Bacques work is generally not taken seriously, for reasons that seem obvious enough to me.
Overmans gives the highest figures for German POW/ deaths/Missing so here is a paper that casts doubt on his methods and totals.

http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/overmans.pdf
Overmans provides no independent figures for German POW deaths, he just quotes Ratza and the Maschke commission.

cheers
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

phylo_roadking wrote:Andre, just for you - and the record....

I firmly believe that The United States of America had a concrete policy in place, presented to FDR, and approved by him and actively supported by him that the post-war Germany should be reduced sharply to the level of a "pastoral existence" - and MUCH more importantly for the purposes of this discussion that he firmly accepted that THIS would entail the death by starvation and disease of hundreds of thousands if not millions of citizens of the former Nazi Germany - whether they were POWs, Disarmed Enemy Forces, Civilians, and displaced Ethnic Germans from former countries that made up the Third Reich. I firmly believe that for a time this POLICY was supported by Winston Churchill - for gross monetary reasons - but he was foremost among the opponents of it later. I don't need to pass comment on what the opinions of the new French Government would have been!

I do NOT believe that it was American policy to actively KILL either POWS or German civilians - but that it WAS policy to deny them ALL the essentials of life so that their population "naturally" reduced to the level supportable by the new pastoral economy.
Phylo,

I hate to be a stickler but you have, rather unsurprisingly, still not answered my main points on Bacque and the PoWs. I can hardly be bothered to ask you a fifth time but your steadfast refusal to answer has not gone unnoticed.

You have stated that the US and Britain deliberately planned and caused the deaths of millions of German people. However the main thrust of your argument seems to be centred around the Morgenthau Plan which even you concede was shelved and not implemented. Undeniably JCS 1067 derived some of it’s thinking from Morgenthau – but it was clearly not the Morgenthau Plan.

You have claimed to have presented enough evidence to prove that Britain and the US planned and implemented a genocide in post-war Germany, yet barring a few quotes (some of which you have stated were intended as jokes) you have presented no verifiable evidence whatsoever for this “second Holocaust” (my term not yours). It is revisionist claptrap.

In all your posts you have not mentioned once, any (not even a single one) of the horrific difficulties faced by the Western Allies once hostilities came to an end. You don’t mention the critical food shortage, the total collapse of the German economy and food production, the lack of transportation, housing, medical facilities, and transportation, or the immense logistical problems the millions of refugees, DPs and freed slave labourers fleeing from the East. Why have you categorically ignored every one of these issues, when they obviously had a huge impact on civilian death rates? Why?

You also fail to acknowledge the part Germany itself played in the most horrendous situation it’s civilians found itself in May 1945. It is not a legitimate argument to simply state that the fate of every single German was the sole responsibility of the Allies after midnight on May 8th 1945.
Hitler and the Nazi’s had not only murdered millions of innocent people in foreign lands, it had brought about the total collapse of it own society. Hitler’s policies right up until his very last days in the Berlin Bunker has catastrophic consequences for Germany’s civilian population. Consequences that didn’t suddenly become null and void on May 8th 1945.
Germany’s own leaders and government had a total and absolute disregard for the welfare of its own civilian population by the end of the war. It is all well and good listing quotes that Churchill and Roosevelt and his son felt anger and hatred towards Germany in 1944 (hardly surprising considering they were sacrificing hundreds of thousands of British and American young men in fighting them), but try reading how exactly Hitler and Goebbels et al felt and acted towards their very own civilians by the end of the war. The German people were sold down the river by the Nazi’s Phylo, not Churchill and Roosevelt.
Hitler and the Nazi’s must take the lions share of the blame in what happened to it’s civilians in the immediate aftermath of the war. They failed them and betrayed them in the worst possible manner.

And finally:

....we are NOT just talking about POW deaths. Only YOU and MICHAEL are - the rest of us think that civilian deaths are worthy of the same consideration - in my case, maybe MORE so.
Yet again you are claiming something I have never stated or even inferred. Just because I have pressed you on PoW deaths, why does that make me not care about civilians? It is a dishonest tactic which you have adopted throughout this debate and it must stop. I will pull you up on it every time you employ it and challenge you to back up your accusations.

WHERE HAVE I STATED OR INFERED GERMAN CIVILIANS DO NOT MERIT AT LEAST THE SAME CONSIDERATIONS AS POWS?

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

phylo_roadking wrote: ... and I've given you the death rate for those poor b*ggers who ended up in Soviet labour camps.
Again, double standards. It is fine for you to refer to German deaths in Soviet captivity but I am “sick” when I point out that Soviet deaths in German camps were far, far higher than German PoWs in Soviet captivity.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Re: p.o.w

Post by Cott Tiger »

haen2 wrote:Hi Pzermeyer,

Haen,

So most of our understanding of WWII is based on “faulty information”? With all due respect that seems a rather a loose and absurd statement.

There has been decades of remarkable study, by very well qualified scholars, academics and historians, much of it in evidence in places such as Feldgrau. Is all this understanding simply based on “faulty information”?

You repeatedly tell us that one day “the truth” will come out. The “truth” about what exactly and the "truth" according to whom?

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

First off let me say I don't particular enjoy these exchanges as they only awake hatred (just look at some of the posts in this topic) and in my case painful memories. The only reason I join in is to add a little honesty. All of us have been subjected to propaganda designed to hate our enemy. Hitler was good at it but make no mistake so were the Allies.
Gerhard,

I appreciate your response and understand it why might be uncomfortable for you.
The term "death camps" and "systematically murder you and your comrades" is in my mind a exaggeration to make a point. And what you call "deliberate policy of trying to kill you" I would rather think was indifference because the thinking was we deserved it.
This exactly what constitutes Bacque’s argument though, Gerhard, not mine. Bacque claimed that over a million men were systematically murdered in death camps by the Western Allies in the immediate aftermath of WWII. This, according to Bacque, was the deliberate policy of mass starvation by Eisenhower and the Americans.

The exaggerations are Bacques not mine.
Now this was my camp and my experience, multiply this by the many thousands of camps and even if you subtract 10 -20 percent for better or OK camps you will still get a pretty high number where the 800,000 - 1,000,000 as Bacque claims is possible
I simply don’t understand how you can come to that conclusion if you (understandably) have absolutely no idea how many people were in your camp or have no idea what the death rate was in your camp.
And for Russian prisoners, the ones I saw I felt sorry for, by the same token a few times I saw what happened to my comrades taken by Ivan. We did not strangle them with barbed wire or booby trap their wounded as was done to us.
I appreciate what you are saying, but it cannot be denied that the death rate for Soviets in German camps was far, far HIGHER than for German PoWs in Soviet camps.
Like the hatred we have for a suicide bomber. A guy where I think the only difference between him and a bomber pilot is, with the former it is a one shot deal and the latter after dropping his bomb it's mission accomplished and home to a meal and comfortable quarters and the good fortune not having to see the faces of his victims.
I think it is grossly unfair, inaccurate, and actually quite distasteful to compare a WWII Luftwaffe, RAF or USAF bomber pilot with a modern day Islamic fundamentalist suicide bomber.
I am about to move back to the apartment with the former Lancaster pilot and the liberator of Caen, am I ever going to get my revenge during our weekly card games.
Best of luck at the card table Gerhard, I wish you well.

Kind regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I hate to be a stickler but you have, rather unsurprisingly, still not answered my main points on Bacque and the PoWs
Yes I have - you've just missed my answer enitely. My position is quite simple, and comes in two parts

A/ even ONE death from intentional, governmental policy is enough to prove the case - IF thyere was a policy in place...which I've shown.

B/ "Policy" comes from the top down, not the bottom UP; POW and civilian deaths were the effect. Far better to look up where policy is made and find ALL the signs necessary....
Undeniably JCS 1067 derived some of it’s thinking from Morgenthau – but it was clearly not the Morgenthau Plan.
Which is a VERY strange comment to make on your part, Andre, when if you set JCS 1067...and any of the several drafts of the Morgenthau Plan side by side....ALL the elements of the Morgenthau Plan are actually included within JCS1067 and in MUCH greater detail than the hi-level documents Henry Morgenthau first drew up. It was the Morgentau Plan AND MORE.

That's obvious to anyone who can read and chooses like a good historian to go to the source material...

Remember, even Henry Morgenthau thought they were one and the same...
You have claimed to have presented enough evidence to prove that Britain and the US planned and implemented a genocide in post-war Germany
That's strange, you must have a problem with reading, Andre, because I have TWICE been VERY clear in saying that the U.S. did not plan genocide in post-war Germany, but rather planned a policy of economic resturcturing via the destruction of her industrial base that they knew would cause the deaths of 40% of the german people in the longer term, and that would require a reduction in the population in the medium and short term. I did NOT say that they planned genocide, but said that they planned and adopted and agreed with the other Allies policies that would have this effect by default - the "wilful negligence" element - AND I showed that many U.S. and British policymakers apart from Roosevelt and Morgenthau...people like Henry Stimson, Cordell Hull, and even Winston Churchill...knew what these policies would lead to.

Believe me, if I thought that the Americans planned intentionally to kill Germans I'd be up front in saying that and damn the torpedoes! But planning to take life....and planning to let it be lost due to inevitable circumstances that you're creating? There's a difference in legal terms - but not in the ultimate effect.
you have presented no verifiable evidence whatsoever for this
Strange. I wasn't providing evidence for a second holocaust having taken place. I was providing evidence for a governmental policy having been drawn up that all parties knew would cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Germans - future tense when the policy was established and agreed by ALL the Allies. As I said, policy comes down from above...
In all your posts you have not mentioned once, any (not even a single one) of the horrific difficulties faced by the Western Allies once hostilities came to an end. You don’t mention the critical food shortage, the total collapse of the German economy and food production, the lack of transportation, housing, medical facilities, and transportation, or the immense logistical problems the millions of refugees, DPs and freed slave labourers fleeing from the East.
Ah yes, the "critical food shortage"....So critical that American soildiers occupying Germany could and did continue to enjoy a calorie intake 3.5 times higher than ethnic Germans.... SO critical that populations displaced by the Germans an in transit camps could be supplied with a calorie intake twice that of ethnic Germans and POWS....and yes, you must be referring to that "critical and continuing food shortage" that SHAEF and OMGUS said was responsible for the low calorie intake still being supplied through 1946 into 1947 - in fact actually reducing further over that period from an average of 1500 to an average of 1050 calories per adult per day - WHEN THE REST OF EUROPE HAD RETURNED BY MID-1947 TO THE CALORIE INTAKE LEVELS IT HAD ENJOYED BEFORE 1939??? Medical facilities? I take it you're referring to the German wartime medical facilities under the German Red Cross that SHAEF intentionally closed down on June 5th, 1945?
some of which you have stated were intended as jokes
Nope. Singular - one. And on the occasion of this being repeated by FDR he is recorded as being in deadly earnest.
It is not a legitimate argument to simply state that the fate of every single German was the sole responsibility of the Allies after midnight on May 8th 1945.
Andre - unfortunately it IS legitimate. As of that date, an Occupying Powers the Allies were totally responsible for the adequate feeding and medical requirements of any citizens of any occupied territory under the Hague Convention. And in those days 2000 calories a day was thought the minimum "adequate" level.

There's ONE very singular reason why you can't argue that it's not legitimate; you can't argue against this cornerstone of international law - as THIS convention was ALSO the foremost cited among those used to establish what was a War Crime, a Crime Against Humanity etc. at Nuremberg. If YOU wish to say that its not legitimate in this instance, then you have to ALSO except that it wasn't legitimate months later to establish the crimes of the Nazi Hierarchy. So *I* will put up my hands and agree with you - IF *YOU* put up yours and agree that in THIS case, ALL those charges and sentences were unlawful. Because THAT is what you're in effect saying....you cannot cherrypick when a law is law or when it isn't, local, national or international.

I would LOVE to be able to turn round and shoot my next-door neighbour right now and be able to say to the police tomorrow that...Sorry, last night between the hours of 2AM and 3AM Greenwich Mean Time the law governing homicide did not apply to me...but that's not the way it works....
Consequences that didn’t suddenly become null and void on May 8th 1945.
No, the consequences didn't, of course...but the responsibility for dealing with them "adequately" became the Allies by default on that date, and legally on June 5th when they declared themsleves the government of Germany.
The German people were sold down the river by the Nazi’s Phylo, not Churchill and Roosevelt.
Andre, they were sold down the river by the Nazis into Roosevelt's, Chruchill's, Stalin's, and De Gaulle's arms. Slight but important difference in wording.
Hitler and the Nazi’s must take the lions share of the blame in what happened to it’s civilians in the immediate aftermath of the war.
Because you decree it so? Unfortunately that's not how it works, or how it did work in 1945. The Allies failed to respect their legal obligations to the conquered German people, AND instituted a series of policies that all parties knew were going to lead to starvation and death from disease. NOT just the inadequate feeding and the intetionally-witheld medical care...but also the long-term destruction of German industry that would be needed to support them.
Yet again you are claiming something I have never stated or even inferred. Just because I have pressed you on PoW deaths, why does that make me not care about civilians? It is a dishonest tactic which you have adopted throughout this debate and it must stop. I will pull you up on it every time you employ it and challenge you to back up your accusations.
Andre, three times in recent pages I asked both you and Michael to stop concentrating JUST on POWs, but to take on board the fact that German civilians also suffered and died. After each request you both had a chance to say something about German civilians but neither of you did. You continued to discuss the non-parity of treatment POWs and ignore both the comments made to you AND McDonogh's contention that POWs AND civilians suffered. On a matter as emotive as all this you were given these several occasions to take on board the suffering of ethnic Germans as a whole - given that that was what McDonogh was writing about - not just those in the remains of ragged uniforms in POW cages, but you saw fit not to. Each absence of consideration for civilians is evident in the pages above - when instead the two of you returned to the matter of Soviet POWs without any recognition for the suffering of German civilians alongside POWS.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It is revisionist claptrap
Hmm. Stating its revisionist claptrap doesn't make it so...

...especially when I have Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Henry Stimson, Cordell Hull, George Patton, Lucius Clay, Herbert Hoover, the Congress of the United States of America, and even Eisenhower himself either saying the same things as I'm saying, or supporting the same position. Ok, so they're unfortunately not here to bow to your superiour debating skills, Andre, but their words are enough for me.

Do you want to call them liars, or mistaken?
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Wow I've been offline for a bit and look what happens. The typical leftist scum pop out of the woodwork and start throwing bottles, stones, parking meters, baby elephants, etc. Oh well this will be closed down soon enough our good "FRIEND" Andre will make sure of that won't you? Nothing like pushing an agenda.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi pzrmeyer,

All the major losses of POW life happened at the hands of totalitarian powers, particularly Nazi Germany and the USSR.

However, to lump the Western Allies in with either of these two is to draw false analogies.

I therefore wouldn't argue with your point 1-3 and 6.

I also wouldn't argue with proposition 4 about the loss of thousands of POWs in US POW cages on the Rhine. However, I would point out that this was corrected by the US itself - a self righting mechanism that totalitarian powers such as Nazi Germany and the USSR lacked.

Finally, it is not true that German POWs were used as slave labour in scores of Allied countries. (Again you are overstating a case). Slave labour was employed only by the Totalitarian powers such as the USSR (and Nazi Germany). POWs may volunteer for work and be paid in luxury items that were beyond the ration laid down by international law. Being an inactive POW on basic rations is a soul destroying lifestyle, especially once the war is over, and so the great majority of German POWs in Western hands chose the option of activity over inactivity and volunteered for work.

Cheers,

Sid.