Whats the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Whats the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

Post by phylo_roadking »

Once upon a time there was a thread on here about "what's your favourite meal".....

Now, knowing that there are a lot of people on here who are vets of one national army or another, and have served in the field....or have camped at a Bike Rally which is not far behind on the scales of atrocious food and dysentry (i know :( :( :( )

....whats the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten? Not tasted and spat out...we ALL do that :D .....I mean eaten and swallowed?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Prussian Blau

Post by Prussian Blau »

fried locusts! Tastes like a mix of stick, dung, and more crap
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I take it they weren't Honey Locusts , then? :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi phylo,
As for hard rations the CF used to have corned beef hash for an entre in a boil in the foil bag. This wasn't really all that bad when heated up as it smelled somewhat like what it should but if you opened it and ate it cold it smelled like canned dog food and it looked like you had just added chunks of potato to the dog food. Not ever having tried real dog food i can't say it was the same but lets just say you want to get rid of an unwanted partner try feeding it to them and I guarantee you'll be single again. As for civilian food I seem to remember gaspereaux as an unappetizing form of seafood from my childhood.
However, I still remember after interviewing a friend of mine's father who had served in the Africa Korps being invited for Sunday supper. On being told the main entre was to be deer heart the face I must have pulled was probably priceless and I still remember my friend laughing when his father said it's just the same as beef heart. The problem for me not being the deer part though I will have to say it wasn't bad really the same as a giant kidney.
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Whats the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

phylo_roadking wrote:....whats the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten? Not tasted and spat out...we ALL do that :D .....I mean eaten and swallowed?
There are a couple of things I'm not sure of, and probably don't want specifics.

French army field rations come to mind, also...
Sorry, I just couldn't eat them.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Big Mac
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Pirx wrote:Big Mac
If that is the worst you have tasted mate your living a fine life. I would say Japanese "junk food" they don't understand the whole point of it its called sweets for a reason their stuff tastes like bland ricecakes. :( :D

The worst has to be rotten milk I can hardly gag down milk to this day because I swallowed that. :(
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

British Army rations circa 1936. Issued to me by the Rhod. Army. The compo packs weren't all that bad.

But bully beef, served on a succulent hardtack cracker, whew... :wink:

Life got a little better when a Belgian guy joined my crew - he always carried spices, condiments and wine ( I couldn't lift his battle jacket 8) ) and could make a tasty concoction out of the worst possible junk.

The ham in those rations was a little better than the bully beef but only marginally. for some reasons the native Africans liked bully beef so when we swiped something in kraal line sweep we'd often leave a few tins in swap. No accounting for taste! :wink:

As an aside - I nearly destroyed my future when my fiance (then) had me to dinner right after I had proposed. It was dark, candle lit, good beer in my hand, big dumb smile on my face. then I took a bite of the lasagna she had cooked up. She had substituted broccolie for the meat and hitting me by surprise it tasted as if the supposed meat had gone bad.

I gagged, she cried. Quite messy. :D

And now I suppose, I'll go to lunch.

cheers
Reb
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

This still does hunts me though!

At 13 years old i eat something rotten, which did not smelled that bad off course , otherwise i wouldn't had eaten it...but a food poisoning was the result accompinied with a gasthly rotten egg smell..even today just the slightest smell of egg makes me... @{ %E can't help it...
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The worst has to be rotten milk
Oh! Did that once. So rotten it hadn't curdled or separated - just rotted. So bad it had no smell...thus no warning. Like gargling with pus....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

....and THAT reminds me - about a week later, when I was at work, the then-girlfriend's mom had used a Coke bottle to store dark liquid industrial soap.....
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Phylo that is the exact description of the milk I drank. I can't drink a glass without my gag reflex going off now. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Matt B.
Supporter

Post by Matt B. »

Hey guys,

I've also drunk some sour milk before -- nasty, nasty stuff.

Probably the nastiest thing I can remember eating has to be cow tongue. I remember it being very chewy and tasting foul.

Matt B.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Oh, I don't want to go near this question/topic. Reflects badly on my lovelife....

:D :wink: :D :wink:

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

Hmmm Commissar sends me back to my foolish youth when I can vaugely remember, through an alcoholic haze chewing on a rank one of those as welll :shock:
Ost Ost Oskar