What item sums up your country's army?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Its not just US pilots that wack their own pals. That's a common malady
Why do you think there's all that nice colour propaganda footage of PzIs and IIs and IIs in Poland and France with big NS flags draped over them going into battle? After all, made them a good target for artillery observation....

....but it made them less of a target for the Stukas!!! :D :D :D

what does it matter if you kill your own countrymen
Having faulty safeties is a tad...unpopular...when youre in a police role in a Baghdad bazaar full of "friendlies"!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Phylo

Reminds me of some farmers in Georgia. They use spray paint on their cows during hunting season: big red letters, "I'm a cow!" :D

Same principle.

cheers
Reb
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

Hans wrote:Take everything else, but not my slouch hat.

- Hans
i agree with you 100%... the rest of the world was wearing Helmets we were wearing hats...why because were Aussie and dont want to copy the Brits....(before you tell yes i know we wore helmets just let me have my rant)

when i was first learning about guns and gun safety... my cadets instructor said it is very dangerous not to have the safty on a gun, espicially if its with somthing like an M203 (grenade launcher) can be very unpopuler with what is left of you unit

visulising that in my mind i couldnt stop laughing, the "oh bugger" look on his face when he realises what hes done.... kind of like on the movies when they fire a bazooka backwards
"Gott Mit Uns"
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

For me personally, I'd have to say my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor :D
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

But when the instructor makes you laugh the humor goes away fast. "Do you think I'm funny?!"

Or as mine said on a rather unpleasant ocassion (for me at least), "You're not in Jo'burg with your lebanese friends now!"

Teaching young soldiers safety is a frustrating exercise -particularly for someone like me who grew up around guns and had safety pounded into my head from age six.

cheers
Reb
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

ya lol

when my dad was teaching me how to shoot when i was young, he said to me i will teach you how to shoot the way i learnt to shoot from my father (at this stage i remember thinking here comes the wisdom from the past generations of my family)

...it was at this point that he proceeded to say just as i was filling with pride "if i ever see you point a gun at any-one ill break your jaw"

it was then the pride left me and i remembered that the past generation were proud soldiers and bushmen. lol :D
"Gott Mit Uns"
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

B.A.M.s...

Post by L. Kafka »

Broad ass marines.

We also have W.A.M.s, wide ass marines.
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

British Army = Superb way in which we wear our berets and the different colours & different attachments (such as hackles) that adorn them 8)

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

i think the US TKing has something to do with the pilots being on speed or something http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/war.html . if not, the US is in some pretty suck wars now, so it is to be expected.
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev