Rommel's photo album?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Rommel's photo album?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I just started reading Liddell-Hart's The Rommel Papers. I'm not even past the introductions yet, but Manfred's words just struck a note in my head (I know, everybody duck! :roll: ).

Apparently, he was big on photography. Has a book been published with any/all of Rommel's photos? If so, I'd love to see it.

If not, is there anybody here with access to or influence with, Manfred Rommel, that could persuade him to put something like that together? I think that seeing those images that Rommel thought important (for future publications) would be extremely interesting. Juxtaposed with his writings, it could well add valuable insight to the man, the myth, and the legend.

Thoughts?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Tom, there's a good chance that David Irving has a copy of many of Rommel's photographs as he used some of them for his biography in the 70s. He also extensively copied Rommel's diaries, letters and personal papers.

Unfortunately, Mr Irving's in prison in Austria. :D However, many of his Rommel papers are available on CD or microfilm from these guys:

http://www.microform.co.uk/academic/ite ... ref=R97049

The down-side is they're $130 a pop :shock:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

halder wrote:The down-side is they're $130 a pop :shock:
Ouch! I guess they go near the bottom of my wish list! :?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Tom

There is a book called "Panzer Tactics" which has some 7 Pz stuff that Rommel photographed. Good book too, Stackpole.

cheers
reb
Locke
Supporter

Post by Locke »

My grandpa had a book called "World war II" by C.L. Sulzberger and I remember there were some Rommel's photographs printed there.

Best,
Polona
Tod sekla bridka bodo jekla in ti mi bos krvava tekla,
kri nasa te pojila bo, sovrazna te kalila bo!
Simon Gregorcic: Soci