The unofficial ww2 random facts thread

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

have you ever realized that Russ 7.62 caliber translates to .30 inches? ever wondered why?

one of the Russian archaic mesurements was something called lines, equivilent to 1/10 of an inch. the official designation for the M-Nagant was the 'three line rifle, model 1891/30' (or whatever it was).
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

another random fact, the bren leaves a rectangular mark on the primer, not a circular one (like a lee-enfield or whatever)
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

I don't know if anyone knew these little known facts but

a) William Patrick Hitler, the nephew of Adolf Hitler, served in the US Navy during WW2 at the Pacific Theater of Operations

b) Werner G. Goering, the nephew of Hermann Goering actually served in the US 8th Air Force as a bomber pilot and flew missions against Germany (I wonder would happen if Lt. Goering of the USAAC were shot down and captured by the Luftwaffe....would he be shot as a traitor or his Uncle would protect him?)

Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

1. During the trial of the July 1944 plotters by the Volksgericht (People's Court), the president of the tribunal, Roland Freisler shouted so loud towards the defendants that the sound technician had to informed him that Freisler was ruining the recordings

2. If I am not sure of this if it's true, but the very first casualty of Battle of Britain is flying officer Hulton-Hurrap of the RAF who was shot down (in a Hurricane) by another squadron of Spitfires in a friendly fire mistake

Panzermahn
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

P-M, not sure about that, but the first overall RAF casualty, in France, was from friendly fire!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi,

Correct me if I am wron; the Austrian Colonel-General Lothar Rendulic is the only Generaloberst to do a parachute jump with a paratroop company during an operation to disarm Italian forces in Greece after the capitulation of Italy in 1943. The general commanding the 11th Italian Army in Greece and together with his staff were arrested by the Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic and a company of fallschirmjaeger.

P.S. Does anyone know what is the name of this operation and were those fallschirmjaegers from Heer or Luftwaffe?

Thanks
Panzermahn
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Panzermahn!

There were both Heer and Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger participating in the Airborne assault on Leros. Oberleutnant Oschatz led the "Brandenburger" Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie in the assault on the Greek Island Leros on November 12, 1943. They recieved 1/3 casualties almost immediately while landing due to enemy Flak and MG fire. They were the vanguard assault and where followed half an hour later by the I./FJR 2 led by Hauptmann Kühne. The Brandenburgers under Oschatz hooked up with Kühne and participated in the conquering of Leros. The last english and italian units surrendered on November 16.

Source: Franz Kurowski "Deutsche Kommandotrupps 1939-1945 - Brandenburger und Abwehr im weltweiden Einsatz" (3rd ed, 2004).

About your question if Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic made a combat jump leading a company... The answer is a big no!

About the eventual name on the Leros operation I do not know. There ought to be obe though...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Operation Taifun
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Operation Taifun is the german assault towards Moscow in the Autumn of 1941... :wink:

Unternehmen (operation) Leopard is the German assault on Leros in November 1943! :D

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hmm....ok! I shall text my source of info and berate him verbally about the ears!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ouch! and I was referred back to this...

http://www.leros.org/lerostouristhttp/t ... leros.html
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Doktor Krollspell wrote:Hello Panzermahn!

There were both Heer and Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger participating in the Airborne assault on Leros. Oberleutnant Oschatz led the "Brandenburger" Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie in the assault on the Greek Island Leros on November 12, 1943. They recieved 1/3 casualties almost immediately while landing due to enemy Flak and MG fire. They were the vanguard assault and where followed half an hour later by the I./FJR 2 led by Hauptmann Kühne. The Brandenburgers under Oschatz hooked up with Kühne and participated in the conquering of Leros. The last english and italian units surrendered on November 16.

Source: Franz Kurowski "Deutsche Kommandotrupps 1939-1945 - Brandenburger und Abwehr im weltweiden Einsatz" (3rd ed, 2004).

About your question if Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic made a combat jump leading a company... The answer is a big no!

About the eventual name on the Leros operation I do not know. There ought to be obe though...

Regards,

Krollspell
Hi Herr Doktor,

My source for the paratroop jump made by Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic is from Jonathan Steinberg's All or Nothing (Routledge edition, 2000). But it didnt mentioned that the jump was made at Leros or Kos. The only thing Professor Steinberg mentioned was, the colonel-general jumped together with a paratroop company at the headquarters of the Italian 11th Army at Greece and arrested the commanding Italian general and his command staff.

Thanks,
Panzermahn
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

In 1943, 10% of U-boat commanders accounted for 50% of sinkings. 50% of commanders accounted for all sinkings.

dduff
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

1. Commander Roope (HMS Gloworm) who rammed his destroyer against KMS Hipper were recommended for VC by Captain Helmuth Heye (commander of the Hipper) via ICRC. This is the only VC awarded to a Englishman after recommendation by their enemy.

2. The first girl ever admired by Hitler was Stephanie Jansten

3. Hitler first godparent was Mrs. Johanna Prinz

4. Vice-Admiral Robert Eyssen was the highest ranking Kriesgmarine officer to served in auxiliary cruisers (Komet)

5. General der Panzertruppen Hasso von Manteuffel is actually shorter than Hitler.

6. During the negotiation of the armistice at the forest Compiegne after the defeat of France, SS lieutenant Richard Schulze had orders (reputedly from General Keitel) to shoot members of the French delegation led by General Huntziger if the French were to attempt anything suspicious. (I think there is a photo of him standing in the middle of table with Keitel on the right side and Huntziger on the left side)

7. The first and only time Hitler was addressed as "Your Majesty" was during when he visit the dying Hindenburg as the delirious Hindenburg thought that Kaiser Wilhelm II had come to visit him

Regards
Panzermahn
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Correction to my earlier post on the jump made by Generaloberst Lothar Rendulic.

I have reread Professor Steinberg's book and it was mentioned that the jump made by Generaloberst Rendulic, GOC of the 2nd Panzer Army with a company of fallschirmjaeger was made at Tirana, Albania which captured the command staff and the commanding Italian general of the Italian Army Group East.

Thanks
Panzermahn