Israelis vs Germans II

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

pzrmeyer2

Israelis vs Germans II

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Israel again buzzes German ships near Lebanon

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
LONDON — Israel has confronted Germany near Lebanon in the latest of a series of incidents.

For the second time in less than a week, Germany reported that Israel Air Force aircraft confronted a German Navy vessel off the coast of Lebanon. The German Defense Ministry said Israeli F-16 fighter-jets buzzed the Alster and fired over the intelligence-gathering vessel. No casualties were reported.

In an additional incident, an official said on Oct. 29 that Israeli warplanes sought to intimidate a German Navy helicopter. He said the helicopter flew in an area reserved for Israeli air training. He said the Defense Ministry plans to discuss the issue with Israel.

Berlin said Israeli warplanes have been intimidating German air and naval patrols involved in the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon mission. UNIFIL has sought to enforce a ceasefire that began on Aug. 14 and ended the 34-day Israel-Hizbullah war.

"There were certain incidents, which we have discussed with Israel in the appropriate form," German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung said on Monday. "Conclusions have been drawn from this for the future. I view the case as closed."

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz relayed assurances that Israeli warplanes would not hamper UNIFIL operations. The two men urged UNIFIL to coordinate missions with Israel.

"The prime minister explained to a German parliamentary delegation the nature of what happened and apologized for the misunderstandings which arose last week," Olmert's office said in a statement on Oct. 29. "For Israel the deployment of a German force which is to play a key role in the implementation of UN resolutions on Lebanon is of utmost importance."

Jung was scheduled to visit Israel and Lebanon on Nov. 3. The meetings in Israel were meant to coordinate German military operations in the Mediterranean.

"I don't expect any repeat of such an incident," Jung said.

Officials said the latest encounter took place on Oct. 27. They said the Alster was operating in international waters about 50 kilometers off the coast of Lebanon.

"We are aware of the episode, but it was not menacing," a German Defense Ministry spokesman said.

On Oct. 24, Israeli F-16 jets confronted a German Navy helicopter and warship off the coast of Lebanon. The Israeli military said no shots were fired.

"This is exactly the sort of incident which I have always said would happen and which the government said was impossible," Guido Westerwelle, head of Germany's opposition Liberals Party, said.

[On Monday, the UN has acknowledged that Hizbullah operatives in Lebanon continue to receive weapons smuggled from neighboring Syria. Diplomats said the Lebanese government has withheld details of the weapons smuggling because of Hizbullah's presence in the Cabinet.]

"Perhaps other standards apply for them than for us," a German official said.

The German media have also reported navy difficulties with Lebanon. They asserted that German navy vessels required permission from the Beirut government to enter a 10-kilometer zone off the coast.

"They are there to preserve the truce and Lebanon's sovereignty," German Chancellor Angela Merkel told the Al Mustabal weekly. "[If] the German [Navy] can't do its job, then there will be renewed discussions over their tasks."

France's contingent to UNIFIL has introduced anti-aircraft batteries in southern Lebanon. Commanders have warned that the batteries could be used against intruding Israeli aircraft. Italy, Portugal, Spain and Turkey have also been operating in southern Lebanon as part of the UN force.

The French contingent — replacing a force from Ghana — has been patrolling the Israeli-Lebanese border since September 2006. The French force has been equipped with Leclerc main battle tanks and AMX-10 light tanks.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Well, the germans aren't directly intervening and they are hitting german ships on purpose, because they were once the ones exterminating the jews, so they wouldn't want to be so rude as to actually send a task force there and there is terribly bitter relations between the two nations.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I hope for your sake you were being facetious, because otherwise that ranks as one of the most idiotic posts ever put up on this board.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

If they fire at one of their ships again, I would shoot them down. Funny, how Israel has to rely on U.S. F-16s to do their dirty work, as well as German submarines. Can't they build their own, or are they not capable. Anyways, everytime I hear about this it angers me, because of what happened to the Liberty.
Klaus Richter
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

build? build you say? why would they build when they can get it from the US or Germany at reduced prices with money they get from us anyway, in extortion-, er, foreign aid every year. $3.3 billion from the US alone, and probably the same from Germany.

$3.3 billion/year for 5 million people.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

And look how good the Kfir was as a combat aircraft LOL the Isrealis know their technical limits!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

I know. I wonder what would happen to their economy if it wasn't for all the "aid" they get from the U.S. and Germany.
Klaus Richter
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Like "I", "II" is really off-topic for Soldatenheim.

~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....