Did you hear the one about the Pope....

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Not that I have complete faith in Wikepedia, he's a tidbit about Manuel II Paleoligist:
Although John V had been restored, Manuel was forced to go as an honorary hostage to the court of the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid I at Prousa (Bursa). During his stay, Manuel was forced to participate in the Ottoman campaign that reduced Philadelpheia, the last Byzantine enclave in Anatolia.

Hearing of his father's death in February 1391, Manuel II Palaiologos fled the Ottoman court and secured the capital against any potential claim by his nephew John VII. Although relations with John VII improved, the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid I besieged Constantinople from 1394 to 1402. After some five years of siege, Manuel II entrusted the city to his nephew and embarked on a long trip to western courts (including those of the Kingdom of England, France, the Holy Roman Empire, and Aragon) to seek assistance against the Ottoman Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_II_Palaeologus

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Oh, Im sure that went well "Hey guys, I know youre not REALLY the Roman Empire, WE are, but will you help us anyway?" !!!!!!

And Aragon? What was he doing looking to Gondor for aid???

LMAO just couldnt help myself there!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Commissar D, the Evil

:D :D :D

I just think that Manuel II might have been a little biased against Islam...though not without good reason.

Best,
David
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Makes a mockery of the alleged right to free speech, don't it. Should we, Christians, Hindus, Bhuddists, Jews, whatever declare Jihad on Islam next time one of them offends one of us?? The way things are going, I believe we should bring things to a head, stop playing silly games and fight, instead of forever backing down. I have done a complete about turn.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Islam or Christianity nobody offended. That made people.
People in name of Jesus burned other people, but that is history.
Islam clerics must work hard to change many of so called "muslims", that saw other religions, or atheists as an evil. Point is if they want it?
Dan Brown can sleep safely, Salman Rushdi not.
And those people that burning cross on streets in Iran or Pakistan. Did they respect my religion? no. Did they say "forgive me"? no.
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

There's something I don't understand.

Muslims are offended cause Pope had called them "violent".

To show that's untrue they burn churches and kill nuns...

Is there something misworking or is me?
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

It seems to be just us...*sighs*....everywhere else this behavior seems to be expected and quite normal, logical (even in parts of our press), so.... :shock:

@{
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Well;
They said that the Pope's Comments were basically about
The Muslim Religion based on Violence......

The Muslims are reacting by BURNING a Pope's evigdy (spelt right?), Throwing Molotov Cocktails at Christian churches, and stabbing a Nun. Not to mention that they are now going to go against (read fight) anyone Christain......... :shock:

I am not too sure on this one....but maybe this is Case & Point!

There's something I don't understand.

Muslims are offended cause Pope had called them "violent".

To show that's untrue they burn churches and kill nuns...

Is there something misworking or is me?
Obviously, I am not alone in thinking this.

I mean if only 1 person over reacted then we could say that person does not speak for the Religion....but when THOUSANDS march in the streets.......

Would you not do something to try and clear the misguided or misinformed instead of doing exactly what they said??
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well, isnt it suprising that in the vast majority of the countries they protest in, theyre accorded equal rights...no matter that the rest of the population is preodominantly Christian????

NOT a racist comment - if I was visiting Saudi, or Iraq, *I* wouldn't wear my shoes in a mosque or break any religious laws. So where the hell do they get off breaking laws and acting as they do in a minority *here* wherever *here* may be?? Fair's fair, When in Rome be a Roman Candle.

P.S. are they equally ready to be punished just as you or I would be if we acted like that??? Not feckin' likely!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Sad is that most muslims in middle east had no acces to free media, and can not talk with us. there is a satan in internet :evil:
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Speaking as a non-church attending person, Regardless of what the Pope said or meant, the truth is his statement confirms stereotypes about Muslims and their somewhat puzzling allies in the west: leftist secular-progressives. Each is a violent theology and ideology using the Pope's speech, Danish cartoons, etc, to intimidate and supress any dissent. They then summon the rent-a-mob and their willing accomplices in the biased "mainstream" media to take photo after photo of the enraged poor Muslims responding to the horrible provocations of the eee-vil West.

Regardles of your thoughts on Christianity, one does not hear the Pope or any other Christian leader extoll followers to strap bombs to themselves and blow up women and children on airplanes. No one is afraid to mock or caricature JC, actions our "artist" and "intelligensia" classes call "brave" and " powerful". Ever wonder why none of these limp-wristed secularists ever make fun of Mohammaed?

Unfortunately, I believe this is a terminal struggle, because no one is willing to stand up and defend Western Civilization.

In the 1930s, there was a large anti-Western/anti-establishment/anti-government/anti-"Imperialist" movement, especially in Oxbridge, organized to resist and prevent the western democraices from re-arming and defending themselves. These idiots, while naive, did not have the hindsight of Hitler or the objectivity on Stalin, and hence the lessons learned about what appeasement brings. WHAT IS OUR EXCUSE TODAY IN 2006?
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

This latest round of faux "religious outrage" in the Middle East has diddly to do with what Benedict said, just as the previous round had diddly to do with the caricatures of Mohammed in the Danish cartoon. People like to yell and scream and jump up and down and cry and whine and burn stuff, and get on TV doing it, and will grab any excuse, no matter how flimsy, which is all this is. Anyone who doesn't know that is naive.
JR
Supporter

Pope

Post by JR »

I have a quote for the Muslim radicals "xxxx them all, let god sort them out"
Joan Rebecca
Commissar D, the Evil

Ah, just what we need, a new Crusade.... :( :( :(

Let us cherish the freedoms we have and ignore the intolerance others have--it is a far better thing than either descending into religious intolerance
or trying to fight one of the world's major religions.

You think the fight against Communism was hard? Try stamping out a religion....

Best,
~D, the EviL
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I agree with Beppo. How do you know these people are Muslim? Just because they are brown skinned and wear arabic clothing? Last time I checked that was not a prerequiste to being Muslim. What I find disturbing is Arabs in certain Middle Eastern and African Nations actually only really three or four *cough Iran, Palastine, Somalia and Lebanon cough* Have been doing this. You don't see Egypt or Saudi Arabia going excuse my lack of a better term apeshit. Mostly because those nations are Westernized and have abandoned their kneejerk barbarism that is still rampant in certain nations.

Somalia I can excuse since it doesn't even have a government its still in Anarchy and controlled by armed militias. On the other hand Lebanon, palastine and Iran are not and therefore should keep control of their people. Unfortunately these governments encourage the killing of Westerners especially Lebanon who even after Israel bombed them back into the stone age blamed the United States. :shock:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.