The Forum Heroes: Odyssey

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

That M.H. is the coolest Landser evah???
I'm afraid that only Rosselsprung can only give that one out I'm afriad... @{ :wink:

c'mon, who votes that the title goes to me! :D

K
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Part 7

MH and Kurt stood guard absent-mindedly, bored out of their wits. Though they were on the front line, it had been quiet ever since they'd got there. There were only two Panthers in the area, as the unit had been stretched paper thin over the defenses. Feldwebel Paulus had rounded up another platoon to reinforce the squad there, meaning even more new arrivals, more faces and names to remember.

MH had spent the time to think. Unlike many others, he'd volunteered. Though not for the reasons most did. Berlin had simply become boring. The war had opened up many jobs in the factories, but there was only so much one could make from working on the line. It was simply not the same city his father spoke of from the years right after the war, during the Weimar Republic. And to impress girls, one could never forget that. Unfortunately, he'd gotten far more excitement than he'd bargained for, and there were no girls to impress. In the meantime, Paulus had said a another NCO would arrive soon.

"Hallo fellows, do you know where Feldwebel Paulus is?"
Kurt turned around to see a familiar face.
"Gefreiter Krist! How'd you end up here?"
"Kurt? I'm amazed you're still breathing! Our unit was destroyed a few weeks ago. This division picked me up and put me together with this bunch."
"Feldwebel Paulus is in town trying to find more troops. I suppose I'll have to tell you my own little story later."

Krist left as MH struck up a conversation.
"So you know that fellow?"
"Yeah, he was in my old unit."
MH stared skyward wistfully.
"You know, the Oberstleutnant is a distant relative of yours, eh? Maybe you could wield a little familial influence so we don't get stuck guarding trenches when the rest of them are in town drinking their asses off."
"Ha, if only. He wouldn't spare his own mother if he was given the chance. He's really quite a pain in the ass."
"Do you know that new Panzerman he's talking to?"
"He's here?"

Both turned to see the Oberstleutnant showing a splendidly decorated Panzer officer the terrain. Beside them was a pair of Tigers, one which had a spectacular number of kill rings on the barrel.

"Christ, look at those kill rings! And when did those Tigers get here?" MH exclaimed.
---------------------------------
Leutnant Beppo Schmidt shivered nervously in the cold. Today was his first day back at the front. Ever since Zaporozhye, he'd been in and out of hospitals for the past months. His faithful crew was really the source of his success was now beneath the soil, and though the new crew he was to work with was experienced, nothing could make up for the loss. Nibelung's unit had been reduced once again, and the two Tigers were the only ones on hand to defend Gribovka. He found it a little ironic that the commander of the Tiger with his was his old friend and rival, Michel.

"So Beppo, this place to quiet for you?" Michel asked.
"Who knows, it might heat up soon."
"Rosselsprung seemed sure there'd be an offensive coming. I wouldn't mind a chance to roast a few Ivans" said Michel arrogantly.
"Well, I wouldn't know, be careful what you wish for," Beppo cautioned.

Unbeknownst to any of them, Colonel Timoshenko and Commisar Burlakov scanned and marked the German positions on the map, while the men of the 317th Rifle Division readied themselves to attack.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

MICHEL IS BAAAACK! :D :D :D
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

Perhaps OberstLeutnant Rosselsprung can weave into his story a brief reminiscence of his run to the Zaporozhye Bridgehead and his last stoush with Captain (Now Major) Mendeleev in late 1943. I for one am all ears :[] :beer:
Ost Ost Oskar
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Ah, Oskar, that memory shall conveniently solve the problem of how he escaped when the last bridge across the Dniepr was blown up. Unfortunately, the next installment will be delayed somewhat. :(
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Part 8

Moving a large body of men and equipment undetected was no mean feat. Unfortunately, in Major Mendeleev's case, he was no longer "undetected". A company of supporting infantry had run into a German position and had been driven off. There was no way to prevent this from happening again unless he cleared out the major German positions ahead, isolating them and destroying them before they could report his presence. Luckily, he had yet to lose a single tank.

That could not be said about his previous command. The summer before at Zaporozhye, out of 20 tanks, he'd come out with 3. But his superiors commended him for massively disrupting German operations, destroying a company of enemy vehicles and infantry, and inflicting terrible casualties on a German unit attempting to break out. Nevertheless, it was hollow compensation for the death of so many of his comrades. Not to mention seeing Oksana die before him as he watched helpless. Ironically, the tank he'd named after her survived all the battles the following winter, parting with him only after the unit was promoted to Guards status along with receiving the new 85 model T34's.

Nevsky and Medeleev silently watched a German position. Grigoryev had been injured trying to rally the ambushed company, leaving Nevsky as acting-commander of the tank regiment's supporting infantry. Barely a hundred men rode on the 60 tanks. It would be hard, to say the least, to get through this one. A long, narrow hill, like a canoe upside down, just like those kurgans around Kursk. From them, six anti- tank guns looked out of dugouts covered by camouflage netting and snow. Two of the larger guns sat high in their positions, probably those 88's.

"Nevsky, do you know what is the best terrain for tanks?"
"Not being a tankist sir, I would be unqualified to answer."
"The one without anti-tank weapons."

Nevsky turned to look at him, obviously confused.
"It means, be this the steppe, a marsh, a forest, or even the Urals, it would be hazardous for tanks to operate."
'That appears most obvious sir," replied Nevsky, dryly.

Nevsky simply didn't appear to have any sense of humor. Unfortunately, this would require a heavy price in blood, laughs or not. A rough country road wove its way next to the hill, surrounded by forest on both sides. The hill itself was bare, probably cleared by the Germans to set up their guns. Several hundred merers outside the entire area was a vast open clearing which the showed up on the map as a pond. There would be no way the Germans could fire on him from their position, shielded by the forest. But the risks of either idea were easy to spot. To attack directly along the road would put his tanks within spitting distance of the guns, with little or no way of retaliating since the guns were entrenched deeply. To try to pass the unit entirely through that route would risk his tanks sinking into a pond or mired in mud, at least.

The hill looked unnatural with the long barrels of anti-tank guns poking out its side. The shrubs, camouflage netting, and bushes made to cover the gun positions made it look hairy and animal like. The more he looked at it, the more it seemed like a beast ready to spit fire and smash his men and tanks. A giant, six headed beast.
Last edited by Rosselsprung on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Ooooh. *gets seriously interested and demands another update* :D
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Yes...it's great seeing familiar faces popping up again! :D
(Even if it's the enemy... @{ )

:up:
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

The Landser are getting impatient! Are they going to fight, or is this another Sitzkrieg? :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Part 9

The Puma stopped in front of Feldwebel Paulus' trenches. Emil and Jan jumped off the rear deck and scurried into the waiting arms of their comrades. Kurt and MH had to jog their memories a little to remember the men who caused the joyous meeting.

The impromptu reunion was interrupted as Paulus separated them and sent them back to their foxholes. He shared this little sector with Gefreiter Krist's platoon. Casualties had junior NCO's leading platoons, and lieutenants leading companies. But this part of the front was strong, in comparison to some depleted regions. A well-entrenched defense in depth covered the southern approach to Gribovka well supported by mortars and other artillery. The situation with tanks was not so enviable. Only the two Tigers of Leutnant Schmidt and Obersturmführer Michel were present. But Tigers were a force to be reckoned with, even in defense.

"So how did you end up in this ski resort?" questioned Paulus sarcastically.

The both of them were sitting on a leveled tree stump, sharing a canteen of schnaps. Though one outranked the other, both had equal commands, and neither were in the mood to work out formalities.

"Oh, what I'd give to be back in Augsburg again with my Helga. I was in a partisan wild goose chase a few months back. I was sent to the rear on leave, and when I arrived back in this sector, my division was gone, and that Polish Hauptmann of yours conscripted me into his Kampfgruppe."

Paulus nodded in recognition.

"Ah well, it doesn't seem like the Russians are up to no good. I've had the unfortunate distinction of having a surname similar to a certain Feldmarschall. Half the men in my platoon think we're in a mini-Stalingrad."
"Ha, that does not appear the case. You seem more like the apostle Paulus. Do you happen to have a Bible with you?"
"Well, I do actually. Haven't read it in years. But I wouldn't disagree. Half the time I'm trying to preach good news to burned veterans and terrified kinder."
"You seem to young to be such an apostle though. Maybe like a Paulus the Second?"

Before he could answer, the howls of incoming artillery cut him short. The earth seemed to liquify as the man-made earthquake continued. Huge gouts of soil rocketed into the air, showering the two NCO's with dirt and snow.

"It seems they're up to no good after all. Let's put this one off for now, eh?" said Paulus.

Both men rushed back to their platoons as the downpour of Russians shells weakened to a drizzle.
---------------------------------------------
Colonel Timoshenko waited impatiently for the flares to rise up and signal the start of the attack. He looked at his watch. 9:29. A minute longer.

A dozen flares rose up several moments later. A chorus of Russian voices announced the assault. A disjointed wave sprinted towards the German positions. Though they attacked aggressively, it was a feint. The regiment was second rate, green and led by poor officers.

The German artillery answered back, tearing huge gaps in the Russian assault. The sound of several machine gun nests joined together was like a horrid grating of some infernal machine. From his command post, Timoshenko saw already scores of men lying dead on the field.
--------------------------------------------
MH and Kurt nervously manned an MG42 as the battle raged. MH fed belt after belt into the insatiable machine. The weapon was a true paintbrush of death, raking the field with dozens of bullets with every pull of the trigger.

Paulus smiled as he sighted down his MP40. The Russian attack had faltered. The attacking waves hugged the ground in ditches and shellholes, no longer willing to hurl themselves at the defenses. A running fire from rifles and light machine guns kept the silence away. Emil and Jan hurled grenade after grenade into the shellholes, sending the Russians scampering out of them, only to be cut down by the deadly fire from the German positions. As he turned to see the positions to his left, he saw Krist in his distinctive Gebirgsjäger style cap firing away on his Mauser.

I think you just may see Augsburg again Gefreiter, thought Paulus.
--------------------------------------
"It appears our assault has failed Commisar. Most unfortunate." said Timoshenko cold bloodedly.
The attackers drifted away from the field, with few stalwart fellows remaining on the ground they had gained.
"Aren't you going to follow it up? At least to recover any wounded or missing?" replied Burlakov, shocked.
"We must be ready to make sacrifices for the Motherland. It was a feint, it matters not whether it succeeds or fails, only if German attention is diverted."
Timoshenko looked uncaringly at the scene of carnage. Burlakov burned with anger. He would not let those men die in vain, simply as bait. He stomped off through the snow to Captain Kosygin's company. The crews were lounging lazily on their tanks.
"Kosygin! Get your men off their asses! Prepare to assault the enemy positions."
"We are prepared already sir! When do we go?"
"Excellent. We assault the fascists now, no later."
The twenty T-34's formed into a loose wedge as they rolled forward.
------------------------------------------------
Beppo and Michel had moved nearer the front from the reports of the Russian attack.
"Doesn't look like much Rudi, I think the landsers handled this one fine without us."
Michel sighed disappointedly as he watched from a distance. Only a few potshots were being exchanged between the lines. No tanks appeared present. It would be a waste to charge in just to shoot up a few infantrymen who were already retreating.
"Christ, sir, you might want to check again!"
A mass of T34's burst out of the Russian lines, cannon and machine guns blazing. The tanks renewed the attack as the Russian infantry sheltered behind the tanks. A weak German barrage had no effect on the second wave of the assault, only dirtying the T34's with snow and soil.
"Get us in closer, I think we'll get our chance after all!" commanded Michel.
Schmidt and Michel's Tigers moved in for the kill as they watched their prey running roughshod over the infantry. Scared landsers huddled in their trenches as the T34's roared over. Supporting infantry charged into the foxholes to clear them out with fists, bayonets, rifle butts, and anything else in hand.
"Panzer vorwärts!!!!" bellowed Michel proudly.
Soon that magnificent 88 would teach those Commie bastards to mess with him. Before Rudi could even draw a bead on a single T34, another barrage tore through the area. Michel and Beppo hastily buttoned up and tried to wait out the barrage. The terrifying noise of howls and deep booms reverberated inside the metal prisons that were their tanks. As soon as it seemed to subside, Michel unbuttoned and took stock of the scene.
Terrified Germans ran past the tank as the weak sound of Russian cheers echoed across the field along with the parting shots that cut down retreating Germans.
Disgusted, Michel closed the hatch as both Tigers began to pull back.
"Sir?"
"Don't worry Rudi. We'll get our chance soon."
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Half the men in my platoon think we're in a mini-Stalingrad.
:shock:
:D :D :D
Don't worry Rudi. We'll get our chance soon."
Jawoll! :evil:

:up: :beer: