Whats your favourite anachronism?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Whats your favourite anachronism?

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, heres one to test your memories - whats your favourite cinema anachronism? Something totally out of place in a war movie time- or location-wise?

No, I DON'T mean the wrong jacket or helmet or medals, RIGHT??? Those are just mistakes....

I mean something glaringly wrong that the continuity guys should have picked up on????

I'l start the ball rolling.....

Rober Shaw and Ian McShane walk out of Shaw's lovely English cottage in The Battle Of Britain.....supposedly September 1940....and theres a big obvious 1970's DOORBELL staring you in the face!

Over to you......

phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I remember watching a cowboy movie one time, obviously set in the 1860-1870 time frame. During one scene when the hero was riding across the desert, you could see a contrail high in the sky overhead! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Spinechicken
Supporter

Post by Spinechicken »

I'll plump for another slightly obvious one, assuming it'll count, and go for the use of M48 and M60 tanks as Panzer IV's and Tigers in the Battle of the Bulge.

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Bridge on the River Kwai. William Holden uses a thermos flask with "Around the World in 80 Days" scenes on it. That flask came out in the same year as the movie.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Pacific War movies are notorious for showing the wrong airplane in the wrong time-frame. The continual re-use of WWII gun-camera and documentary films makes for some incredibly un-historic footage.

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

The ending scene of "The Green Berets" when John Wayne walks with the Vietnamese boy into a sunset over the ocean, when in Vietnam, the sun sets on land.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Richard Gere as Lancelot charging after Guinevere's out-of-control horse in First Knight.....and gallops past a telephone pole!!!

phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

How about "The Big Red One"? There is a scene where the Germans are eating lunch, and there are Landsers with permed hair, feathered, long hair, and sideburns, much like the "style" current when the film was made, as opposed to when it was supposed to depict.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

In The Way Ahead, David Niven's rifle company is in trenches on a hill near the end - supposed to be North Africa - and the Germans attack supported by two tanks....Valentines.....

....but one blows up, and it miraculously is a PzIII wreck burning!!! Meanwhile the other Valentine - still a Valentine LMAO - backs away!

phylo
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tom, that one's a bit like the legendary helicopter shadow that passes over the galleon in the title sequence of "Shogun" LOL

phylo
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

(SC unfortunately that was an intentional one rather than a mistake, you can't use what you havent got :-( ....or id' include the number of times griffon-engined Spitfires are used in BoB films LMAO)
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

I've always loved the automobile in the distance of the background in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

They didn't even take it out in the special edition, quite odd...

And in Saving Private Ryan, most of the German soldiers buzz cuts. In reality, the German soldier would usually keep his hair. And if you look close, the wheels on the Tiger in the ending scenes are incorrect. They are layed out and not overlapped like the Tiger's. So I researched it and it turned out they took a T34 and tweaked it up quite a bit to look like a Tiger.

Isn't there only one original operational Tiger in the world?

Thanks
Hans Knospler
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

There's a shot in Alexander (the new one) where the Macedonian Army is marching though the deserted wastes of the Near East.....and theres a HUGE modern town in the background!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hans thats an old trick cos 1/ the number of ex-Cuban T34s floating around the world in the '70s, and 2/ the sloping armour means you can build other stuff on top and it doesnt look too out of place. Its how they built the one for Kelly's Heroes too.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Old John Wayne westerns used to be famous for these, because the studio armourers threw Colt Peacemakers at everyone....especially in Civil War period films!