Best Actors to portray famous WWII German personalities?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

actually, and Max Von Sydow, with the glasses, could portray SS Gruppenfuehrer Herbert Gille quite well, sicne they both look old and have glasses.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:
yup. I watched Stalingrad again a few weeks ago, and I clearly remember it. If I am wrong, why would German film producers hire an English speaking American guy as Paulus then? 8)
Sorry... I don't know whether we are talking about the same movie here. I guess we are talking about the german produced 1993 Stalingrad by Joseph Vilsmaier
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/).

Its a german languaged movie all the way through... no english language. No Patrick Stewart. Perhaps you own a english dubbed movie?
Helmut Von Moltke

hi DXTR, I guess you are right. I just checked the IMBD site for Stalingrad, actually it did not turn out to be Paulus, but General Hentz, portrayed by Martin Benrath. And unfortunately, my version has English dubbed as well.
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

Hmmmm, Russell Crowe as Rommel!
Ost Ost Oskar
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

lol why dont we do somthing like, Albert Speer jr to play his father etc. lol
"Gott Mit Uns"
Helmut Von Moltke

hi Michael. The Heydrich portraed there, the eyes and hair look quite similar, but he looks a bit too fat, just like the one in the 2001 production 'Conspiracy'.

And Wilhelm Grubber II, I think that Albert Speer junior is a bit old to play his father in a movie now. The real Albert Speer was still relitavely young at the time of the war.

Kevin
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

shhh dont tell anyone lol

on Band of Brothers as far as i know they used Germans for the German "Speaking" roles
"Gott Mit Uns"
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Bruno Ganz as Hitler
Ulrich Noethen as Himmler
Brian Cox as Goering
Juliane Koehler as Eva Braun
Ed Harris as Rommel
Helmut Von Moltke

hi Beppo, I always thought that Juliane Koehler looked a bit too old to play Eva Braun. Perhaps the Romanian actress who played Traudl Junge could do a bit better.
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

I think Liam Neeson could portray SS general Felix Steiner. Perhaps Ed Asner could portray Sepp Dietrich.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Samuel L. Jackson as Hitler
Mos Def as Peiper
Jackie Chan as Skorzeny
Eva Mendes as Eva Braun
Cedric the Entertainer as Goering
Jamie Foxx as Himmler
Queen Latifah as Churchill
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:Samuel L. Jackson as Hitler
Jackson is too tall for the role. :wink:
Up The Tigers!
Helmut Von Moltke

Samuel L. Jackson as Hitler
oh, plastic surgery, and Andre, maybe surround him with tall guys to make him look shorter? :wink:
Jackie Chan as Skorzeny
again plastic surgery, plus a fake scar! @{ Actually, it would be intresting if Jackie Chan or Cuba Gooding Jr played roles as foreign volunteer soldiers in intresting units like the Ost Battalions, Freis Arabrien, etc.

And, the old Michael Caine could play General Kurt Student, and Thomas Kretschmann could do Michael Wittmann.

ok, this insignificant reenactor DOES do a good job as SS General Gille, perhaps if there was a movie, he could be famous! :D

and this Rommel looks allright, although a bit too pudgy and fat.

cheers, :D

Kevin
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz »

James Mason was sensational as Field Marshal Erwin Rommel in "The Desert Fox"

Although most seem to agree that Bruno Ganz's portrayal of Hitler is the best on the screen, my personal favourite was Steven Berkoff who played Hitler in the mini-series "War And Remembrance". He got everything just right - the voice, the mannerisms, the hand-gestures. A very much under-rated performance from a fine actor.

If a film was being made about Rommel in the near-future, I think Ed Harris would be a strong contender for the lead role. Both men are almost identical!!!

Best regards
Helmut Von Moltke

ph yes, I remember Uncle Adi in "War and Remembrance" now! :wink: Too funny to be realistic, actually. He was literally screaming off the roof at his generals, and he always had a stare which did not look like the original stare of Hitler. LOL, if the real Hitler was like Steven Berkhoff, then I doubt he would even have gotten a follower at his early beerhalls. @{ :up: The Rommel in that series was quite.. fat in it as well.

ah well.

Kevin