Just a thought

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Rodger Herbst
Associate

Just a thought

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Sometime ago I read where the last of the German Army died in Berlin and in France,a person said not true, the last of the German Army died at Dien Bien Phu.

Reading a book about the French Foreign Legion they say that after the war over half of the Legion was made up of Germans,the Legion needed recruits badly so a lot of the members were SS Men.

True or rumor I don't know, anybody have any ideas or knowledge?

For myself, I think it's possible.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well of course its true, though I wouldnt say half or anything like that percentage. Thats how the Foreign Legion operates,it welcomes anyone into its ranks without inquiring into his past, and refuses to dupply intofrmation to outside authorities, Its the haven for those who have lost an army or cause to fight in and for, but wish to remain in uniform and combat

phylo
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Former SS men who emigrated to the US were conscripted and sent to Korea. I know this from a friend (ex-HJ Division) who was one of those hauled in to a Selective Service office but was excused because of a serious wound received from the Russians that had not yet fully healed. He said he met other former comrades there who were subsequently shipped out without being able to contact their families first.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The Légion Étrangère Française is not as unquestioning as it used to be. They will give up some people to law enforcement agencies, like certain categories of murderer or, also, people accused of serious sexual crimes.

PK
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Not necessarily willingly LOL Now that their base depot is on Corsica, they're technically on French soil and although a lot of civil laws were waived on their behalf, they choose to cooperate with the civil authorities on very major crimes rather than beg their whole legal non-immunity being brought into question. Much more vulnerable now that they're not based in Algeria. And also, with the number of French overseas possessions shrinking fast, Legion deployment is more commonly under media glare than it used to be, even in the '70s and the invisible war in Chad. So they're "trying" to clean their image up JUST a little.....

phylo
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

Durring WW2 the Legion couldn't do much recruiting and after the war they had lot of former colonies to reoccuply and they had a shortage of manpower and were could you get men who were veteran combat troops?
The ex German and SS troops who wanted to soldier on were a perfect fit.

The article I read the French were complaining of too much German being spoken. The Germans sang thier marching songs,I think the Legion might still sing them,on parade the Legion had to march in the rear because they marched to 82 steps per min. (way to slow compared with other armies).
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yep, Panzerleid is a Legion standard for one that i know of.

phylo
haen2
WWII Vet

conscripted ??????

Post by haen2 »

derGespenst wrote:Former SS men who emigrated to the US were conscripted and sent to Korea. I know this from a friend (ex-HJ Division) who was one of those hauled in to a Selective Service office but was excused because of a serious wound received from the Russians that had not yet fully healed. He said he met other former comrades there who were subsequently shipped out without being able to contact their families first.
I did NOT have that experience.
As a former W.SS soldier, who after "camp time", later also served in he Royal Netherlands Army, and again became a noncom. I registered for the"draft" after arriving in the U.S. at the age of 34
When asked how likely I was to really be called up, the answer was: Not very likely, you would be too expensive. Reason ?: I had been an "Opperwachtmeester, titulair' (Acting Artillery Sergeant Major, before receiving the hard rank), and there seems to have been some agreement that NATO countries would honor each others ranks, when "transeferring" from one country to another.
True or not , I dont know. but Í was NEVER called up for US service.
Did volunteer for the Civil defense as a Medical and Rescue Instructor, though. (wont Í EVER learn ? :oops:
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

HaEn, I believe, from memory, that Rudi S. was called for service with the U.S. Army.

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

or, also, people accused of serious sexual crimes
Frenchmen like this probably now move to places like Thailand...