Bad Hollywood Idea

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

Odd as it sounds I actually liked Where Eagles Dare. As far as Cloak and Dagger Films go, it is pretty good. Same can be said of Guns of naverone and Force 10 from Naverone. I enjoyed the book. And the movie certainly did a good job following it. For historical accuracy it does well as far as uniforms go.

A good film requires:
1. A good well developed and well thought out story.

Doom Trooper is a Comic Book.

2. Good diolog.

3. Believable character portrayal.

4. Believable settings.

5. A solid line of action.

6. For historical period films Authenticity. (Historical accuracy).

Screw up just one and the whole thing Stinks.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Michael N. Ryan wrote:Odd as it sounds I actually liked Where Eagles Dare. Same can be said of Guns of naverone and Force 10 from Naverone.
I'll agree on WED, and Guns of Navarone. Although Guns differed slightly from the book, I still enjoyed the movie. I didn't like Force 10, though. The book was alright, but I found the movie rather lacking.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

I thought Harrison Ford needed a bit of work. And I didn't like the Chetnik bashing considering those guys fought on our side since in the book I believe it's the Ustache who are the bad guys which they were.

I enjoyed Robert Shaw and the guy who played Miller. They were Fun.
My favorite scene being after they bust Miller out and show him the Bridge they want him to blow.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

actually, Guns of Navarone is an allright movie. Except for the typical stereotype of a SS officer, who says he would rearrange a captured wounded Allied soldier's bones, and the Wehrmacht officer then protests, and the SS officer replies that he dosen't care. But I wonder how in the movie did they get those Stukas who went after the commandos?

Kevin
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

It has been a long time since I have seen Guns of Naverone. For all I know the Stukas could have been drawn on like the old Superman films did for Superman in flight. All the Naverone shows is Gull winged aircraft landing gear down diving nose first on the heros.

Admittedly I don't like sterotype either. In von Ryan's express they have the Germans shooting wounded allied POWs and an SS officer shoots Frank Sinatra in the back. (In the book Ryan lives and there is a sequel).