German version of Band of Brothers

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

German version of Band of Brothers

Post by Annelie »

After watching this series again I wonder perhaps that
there is a German version of this series?
Annelie

Post by Nordwest »

YES!

And it a waste of time, Annelie, heroic americans, stupid germans, the whole series, to me, as a german, is crap, TV, not a movie.

Michael
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

Division?
Handschar!!!
That would be so interesting.
nah people would always put us on the same page as the evil Nazis, terrorists, murderers...

Our story just wouldn't have a happy ending.
Semper Fi!!!!!
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Well, I think "Band of Brothers" is OK... Just OK...
I'm impressed how few americans who fall after being hit by german fire, and the killing of 15 germans by one american soldier with his rifle. The germans seem to lack of combat experience, because they allways screw up, or do stupid things, even though they have fought a war for about 5 years... It's overatet, but OK to watch some rainy day. But I'd rather watch "Cross of Iron"...
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

As I said in a post long ago, that the German Army was made up of the blind and deaf mutes, how else could you pass armored column 10 feet behind a sentinal and he would never hear or see you?
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

However in the last episode of BOB they had a good speech by a German general telling the German soldiers that they had fought honourably for their fatherland as a band of brothers. BOB also captured the American soldiers's fear of the so called "Alpine fortress" in the Alps and Berchtesgaden. But, other than that, most of the combat scenes in BOB are cr#p, especially in the third epsiode named "Carentan", where there's a whole mix of units, from Fallscrimsjager to STUGs with the LAH insignia, and clearly the LAH at that early period was engaged with the British, not the Americans at Carentan. Hisotrical innacuracy there. Also, most of the Germa tunic used in BOB were converted Swedish ones. :evil:

a grumpy Kevin :wink: 8)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Personal feelings about Ambrose aside, are you all calling these veterans liars? The movie is based on the book of the same name. The book is based on a number of personal interviews with the surviving veterans of these campaigns. Are you going to tell them that it didn't happen?

As for the accuracy of uniforms and equipment, we all have stated and/or heard the gripes about every movie. The standards of accuracy aren't up to any of us, they're up to the schmuck paying for the film. While the US equipage is close, the Germans weren't the focus. Only sharp-eyed people that know, like the denizens of Feldgrau, would catch 99% of the details you're all b*tching about. However, the focus of the movie was the guys in Easy, not the enemy.

BoB is certainly not SPR. One is pure fiction, the other based on actual events. I personally spoke with a 101st veteran, and he said that the movie was about as accurate as a movie is going to be. Get over it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

not that accurate Tom, in presenting veteran German troops as military incompetents that where mowen down in droves by the 101st in several episodes :down:
Ost Ost Oskar
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

Tom, I respect the veterans from the two sides of the war... wich means I also respect the guys from the 101st. But as you said Dirlewanger: "not that accurate Tom, in presenting veteran German troops as military incompetents that where mowen down in droves by the 101st in several episodes :down: ". And well, the scene with the german general (or whatever his rank is) telling his men how honourably for their fatherland as a band of brothers was very moving. Another such a thing was when the german soldiers sang "Stille Nacht" in one of the episodes. I don't want to call the veterans liars, guess I was. But when you see "BoB" it sometimes makes you think "Was this really what happend?". I wish I someday will meet a 101st veteran and ask him what happend.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I understand that some of it was sensationalized. I'd recommend reading the book for a more accurate representation.
Stalingrad wrote:I wish I someday will meet a 101st veteran and ask
him what happend.
I did.... See above...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Epaminondas
Supporter

Post by Epaminondas »

There is also a critical difference between a liar and being mistaken.

Anglo-American troops consistant talk about every artillery round incoming as being an "88" and every tank fought againt beign a tiger. Russians frequently call every assualt gun a ferdanand.

It is not that they are liars; but that they are honestly mistaken. The average Joe or Ivan isn't an expert in enemy equipment.... a 105mm artillery round gets turned into slang that 88 fire is incoming because 88s are feared. A Panzer IV looks visually simular to a tiger from a tank periscope and is reported as such.

Look at AAR; frequently Americans will claim to have been outnumbered in a certain battle, and when check the enemy records, actually the americans had a significant advantage.

One fight I remember seeing described was a fight in Italy. The american regiment combat group involved talked about how it was fighting a regiment plus of germans; and described the equipment it fought against... a pair of 81mm mortars, a pair of HMGs and about four platoons of infantry. Spot on for a COMPANY in actuall strenght even if nominal a regiment.

Its not that the vets of the 101st were liars; but that they percieved things one way, which happens not be to acurate. Not out of a desire to lie, or make themselves look good- but because they aren't experts at IDing stuff, and did not have the big picture.

The Volksturm encirlcing them at Bastogue become the dreaded SS; not because they are lying, but because being encircled while experiencing combat fatigue [Arheim] is very stressful. Being encircled anytime sucks.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Epaminondas, you have a very good point! Now, assuming you are 100% correct, then the film isn't sensationalized!

...veteran German troops as military incompetents that where mowen down in droves by the 101st...
then becomes what all of those men saw, not some Hollywood BS designed to make the Amis look good.
The germans seem to lack of combat experience, because they allways screw up, or do stupid things, even though they have fought a war for about 5 years...
Bearing in mind of course that many of the troops in the Normandy region weren't the cream of the crop.

Were someone able to do that same thing about a Kompanie in Panzer Fusilier Regiment GD, the Landser would come off looking just as well, and the Red Army troops would come off looking like tactical incompetents.

The Americans, on the other hand, would come off looking like lying SOBs, right after they turned their GD captives over to the Soviets...

Has anyone actually looked at the AARs for Easy, and her sister companies? What do those reports say?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

each movie made is propaganda, they show how invincible soldiers are.
they call them elite, when you join the Army, they have classes to clear up that nostalgia and to tell you that you are NOT bulletproof.
Semper Fi!!!!!
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

"Band of Brothers", and "Saving Private Ryan", for example, is the same old Hollywood bla-bla, started in the late 1930s, with very many anti-german movies, considering all germans as dumb, beer drinking, and stupid people, wearing Lederhosen, and such...

The fact is, the german troops were the most terrible enemy in the WWII, feared especially by the english, and american troops.

Thousands of allied soldiers pissed their pants, in front of a unit like "Leibstandarte", or "Hitlerjugend", at that time, for many reasons...

"fanaticism" was the rule within these troops, one thing the english and american troops never had, they had "firepower", but never the so called Corps-Esprit, which was common, especially within these Waffen-SS units.

Michael
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

It is funny tough how the chetniks/partisans never make movies where they fight the SS. When the SS would kill 2-3.000 partisans and loose 200 SS-Men.

BUT the Americans makes movies like force 10 from navarone when the Americans kick cetnik butt lol
Semper Fi!!!!!