best actor/lookalike?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Now, I have my own views of the usual American TV audience, which aren't always complimentary. However, since I am often one of them, I have a different viewpoint than you do.

I would be interested in how you respond to the basic question, but I would ask all sides to work real hard at keeping nationalistic stereotypes, and bashing out of the conversation
Tom, I hope you know I don't disagree with you about the intelligence of the Homer Simpson masses. I just don't like America bashing generalizations...
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:I just don't like America bashing generalizations...
Nor do I. Come to think of it, I believe I recently posted something about nation bashing in general, but I digress.

Michael, I'm willing to accept that statement. I will admit, it did sound like America bashing. Unfortunately, your perception of the average US television viewing audience is apt.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

it ain't limited to America--its an international phenomenon
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

So, you movie-buffs, did you ever see the 120 minutes long movie Ich war 19, from 1967, probably not, for example...

Link: http://www.german-cinema.de/app/filmarc ... lm_id=1097

An epic movie, a true classic DEFA production.

Michael
Last edited by Nordwest on Tue May 16, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Konrad Wolf movies about the traitorous Seylitz troops?

May be cinematograhically great, but hardly a topic or title I'd run out to find. I'd put it up there with "Bareback Mounting"...

And I don't mean traitorous to the Nazi regime, either, I'd bet few Germans regarded them as liberators, or as morally in the right.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

Ich war 19, produced by East Germany probably? The Goering Brain Cox and 1943 Rommel one, HAS to be a joke. :? The best German character in war movies in Oberst Hessler in "Battle of the Bulge", although his character is fake, who wouldn't have had a bit of admiration for his toughness in battle? :wink: One guy who watched it even said that Hessler was based on Peiper's character LOL! :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

NW something about the short length of the Tobruk cameo means he ....condenses?....the character more; somehow more appealing than in the Desert Fox.

Am really not sure about Brian Cox, he's one of those actors who....no matter what he's in, is always....Brian Cox lol!

HvM ok ....but what actor/cameo/perrformance? The thread isnt about a whole film lol

Maybe I should have been more specific and said "historical personality?"

Regarding the American Masses and television viewing.....populations have a shorter folk memory the bigger they get. Therefore sadly American films and TV are now into characatures rather than characters.

I mean....yes I accept its SUPPOSED to be a comedy...sort of....but just look at "Churchill - the Hollywood Years"

I think this is one that blew out the breach and teaches a LOT about Amricans! LMAO

phylo
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

The Goering Brain Cox and 1943 Rommel one, HAS to be a joke.
Why is Brian Cox as Goering a joke? He gives a very good performance.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

I think, the british actor Brian Cox performed well as H. Goering in the movie Nuremberg (2000)

His "appearance" came very close to Goering in the year 1947.

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208629/combined

Brian Cox: http://www.coxian.com/

Quote/Goering(from IMDb) " One German, a fine man. Two Germans, a party. Three Germans, a war. One Englishman, an idiot. Two Englishmen, a club. Three Englishmen, an Empire." :wink:

Michael
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

pzrmeyer2 wrote:Konrad Wolf movies about the traitorous Seylitz troops?
May be cinematograhically great, but hardly a topic or title I'd run out to find. I'd put it up there with "Bareback Mounting"...
And I don't mean traitorous to the Nazi regime, either, I'd bet few Germans regarded them as liberators, or as morally in the right.
Yes meyer, the DEFA productions from that era are "uncomfortable" to view, the same goes to russian war movies from the same era.

I like these movies from the former so called "Ostblock" very much, most of them are very well done, showing the other side of the war...

I could post an endless list of such movies, but who cares. :?

Michael
Helmut Von Moltke

Why is Brian Cox as Goering a joke? He gives a very good performance.
his face and eyes in the pic provided look way too strange and distant from the original Goering. :?
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

I wasn't saying he was a dead-ringer.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

I would just like to add my two cents to the discussion on Mr. Brian Cox. He is without a doubt the best Dr. Hannibal Lecter on the silver screen! 8) And the movie "Manhunter"... One of Michael Mann's masterpieces! :D

http://www.manhunter.net

Sir Anthony Hopkins always overacted in that part in the later films and re-makes, but Brian Cox performed with a Hannibal as chilling as he was controlled. In the later movies/books there's mentioning of the Doctor's WWII past as a child in one of the Baltic states, growing up under severe circumstances under both german and russian agression. Subsequently becoming a psycopath and a cannibal after the war (If memory serves me right?).

Personally, I had no problems with Brian Cox playing Hermann Göring... :wink:

Cinematic regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
panzerschneider

Post by panzerschneider »

Jurgen Prochnow and Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock.

The 6th army has fought courageously, but has succumbed to vastly superior enemy efforts, and to, unfavourable circumstances...
Helmut Von Moltke

lol, who is this Jurgen and Heinrich portraying? :D