Donitz "what if" novel

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Helmut Von Moltke

Donitz "what if" novel

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi kameraden, due to the huge amount of research needed on historically accurate units, etc that appeared on my last novel, about LAH, I think I might start a new one, a "what if" about Skorzeny and his paratroopers whisking Donitz from his Spandau prison, brininging him to Right Wing countries like Franco's Spain, or South Amercia, Argentina and him seeting up a Reich government in exile there. (note: this fantasy novel is nothing political, not wishing this happened, etc.)

:D

I think I might post my first chapter, the historically true one about Donitz and his few days as Reichs president.

Chapter 1:

The night of April 29th, 1945, Fuhrer Bunker, Berlin.

Adolf Hitler, now a short man, with a hunched back, shaking hand, greying forlock hair and moustache, walked into the room. The deranged man sat down next to his female secreatery Traudl Junge, and started dictating his final will and testament in his famous Austrian accent. In the background, Soviet shells boomed all around, as with the gunfire and battle sounds of the Battle of Berlin. "I appoint Grand Admiral Donitz Reichs President as my succesor..." After this last will and testament, his important guys, his Luftwaffe adjuant Nikolaus Von Below, the Nazi party eminence, the short, fat, stocky Matin Bormann, and the famous propgandist Joseph Goebbels with his clubfoot came in and signed the document. After the next day, when Adolf Hitler would have commited suicide, the important tasks of running the Reich would fall into the hands of Donitz.

Schleswig Holstein, May 1st, 1945

"Grand Admiral Donitz: (Top secret! Only via officer.)
Fuhrer deceased yesterday at 3:30 pm. Testment of April 29 appoints you Reich president, Minister Goebbels Chancellor, Reichsletier Bormann party minister, Minister Seyss-Inquart Foreign minister. On the Fuhrer's instructions the testament sent out of Berlin to you and to Field Marshal Schorner, to assure it's preservation for the people. Reichsleiter Bormann will try to get to you today to orient you on the situation. The form and time of announcment to the troops and public are left to you.

Confirm Reipt.

Goebbels, Bormann."

The Kriegsmarine radio operator'm mouth gaped wide open. Grand Admiral Donitz, the famous head of the German U Boat subamrine arm, a stern looking typical Prussian officer type, with a slightly bald head, and a shining Knight's Cross at his neck, walked in. "This is utterly impossible! Gosh, imagine all the trouble if Bormann or Goebbels arrives here! Albert Speer, Hitler's architect and the German arnmanets minister, entered. He was young looking, with a forlock, but the forlock was far diffrent from Hitler's. "Well Grand Admiral, or should I say Reichs President..... we should arrest them if they should come, ok?" Donitz nodded.

Donitz then walked to the radio announcment room, to broadcast to the nation. In a nervous voice he said into the microphone:

"German men and women, soldiers of the armed forces: Our Fuehrer, Adolf Hitler, has fallen. In the deepest sorrow and respect the German people bow.

At an early date he had recognized the frightful danger of Bolshevism and dedicated his existence to this struggle. At the end of his struggle, of his unswerving straight road of life, stands his hero's death in the capital of the German Reich. His life has been one single service for Germany. His activity in the fight against the Bolshevik storm flood concerned not only Europe but the entire civilized world.

Der Fuehrer has appointed me to be his successor.

Fully conscious of the responsibility, I take over the leadership of the German people at this fateful hour.

It is my first task to save Germany from destruction by the advancing Bolshevist enemy. For this aim alone the military struggle continues. As far and for so long as achievement of this aim is impeded by the British and the Americans, we shall be forced to carry on our defensive fight against them as well. Under such conditions, however, the Anglo-Americans will continue the war not for their own peoples but solely for the spreading of Bolshevism in Europe.

What the German people have achieved in battle and borne in the homeland during the struggle of this war is unique in history. In the coming time of need and crisis of our people I shall endeavor to establish tolerable conditions of living for our women, men and children so far as this lies in my power.

For all this I need your help. Give me your confidence because your road is mine as well. Maintain order and discipline in town and country. Let everybody do his duty at his own post. Only thus shall we mitigate the sufferings that the coming time will bring to each of us; only thus shall we be able to prevent a collapse. If we do all that is in our power, God will not forsake us after so much suffering and sacrifice. "

Schleswig Holstein, May 2nd, 1945

Field Marshal Ernst Busch, the new chief of staff of the Wehrmacht, walked into the confrence room, And flung aside his officer;s cap and grey greatcoat onto a chair, revelaing his detailed Field Marshal's uniform, full of medals. Hard faced young men of the Wehrmacht at the gate of the room put out their ciggaretes, and smacked to attention, as if still on peace time parade. They were also there, as Donitz was afraid that Reichsfuhrer SS Heinrich Himmler, who was fired by Hitler, would try to come back for a government position. He pounded his fist onto a battle map of the approches to Hamburg, and said to Donitz "Reichs president, we must attack the British here and drive them back!" Donitz, although shaken, calmly relied "Our troop's strength are less than the Allies's." Busch then raged and screamed "What would the Fuhrer have done!?" Donitz remained unmoved, his military sense winning over a few fanatic screams. 'All that should be done Busch, is for our people and troops from the East to be allowed to escape West from the Bolsheviks. Of course, keep a delaying action for the troops in the West so that the flow of refugees can continue." Busch was shocked, and sat down on a chair, depressed. An adjuant burst in. "Gauleiter Kaufmann intends to evacuate the city of Hamburg without a fight sir, the Allies say if the city isn't surrendered they would bomb it!" Donitz sat down and thought it over. A phone call came from Speer. "Some people say that there is a threat of rebellion in Hamburg agaisnt the defenders!" An hour later, Donitz gave the command to surrender Hamburg.

Donitz entered the black mercedes, with the flags of a Grand Adrmial of the Kriegsmarine. The Mercedes sped toward Flensburg at great speed, knowing the threat of Allies air attacks and wishing to get there quickly. All along the road, it was a scene of chaos, shot up military and civilian vehichles, columns of refugees and German military police, the Feldengamdarie, in their large metal chains around their necks, trying to restore control. No doubt by that late stage, such common scenes were common in the rapidly collapsing German Reich.

Flensburg, May 8th, 1945

Donitz sat down and listened to the radio. The Foreign minister, Lutz Von Krogisk, made the announment.

"May 7, 1945

German men and women! The High Command of the armed forces has today at the order of Grand Admiral Doenitz declared the unconditional surrender of all fighting German troops.

As the leading Minister of the Reich Government which the Admiral of the Fleet [Doenitz] has appointed for the winding up of all military tasks, I turn at this tragic moment of our history to the German nation.

After a heroic fight of almost six years of incomparable hardness, Germany has succumbed to the overwhelming power of her enemies. To continue the war would only mean senseless bloodshed and a futile disintegration.

A government which has a feeling of responsibility for the future of its nation was compelled to act on the collapse of all physical and material forces and to demand of the enemy the cessation of hostilities.

It was the noblest task of the Admiral of the Fleet and of the government supporting him-after the terrible sacrifices which the war demanded-to save in the last phase of the war the lives of a maximum number of fellow countrymen.

That the war was not ended immediately, simultaneously in the west and in the east, is to be explained by this reason alone.

We end this gravest hour of the German nation and its Reich.

In this gravest hour of the German nation and its Reich we bow in deep reverence before the dead of this war.

Their sacrifices place the highest obligations on us. Our sympathy goes first to our soldiers. It goes out above all to the wounded, the bereaved and to all on whom this struggle has inflicted blows.

No one must be under any illusions about the severity of the terms to be imposed on the German people by our enemies. We must now face our fate squarely and unquestioningly.

Nobody can be in any doubt that the future-will be difficult for each one of us and will exact sacrifices from us in every sphere.

We must accept this burden and stand loyally by the obligations we have undertaken. But we must not despair and fall into mute resignation. Once again we must set ourselves to stride along the path through the dark future. These are the factors guaranteeing the best state: unity, justice and liberty.

From the collapse of the past, let us preserve and save one thing-unity, the ideas of the national community, which in the years of war have found' their highest expression in the spirit of comradeship at the front and readiness to help one another in all the distress which has inflicted the homeland.

Shall we retain this unity and not again split up under the stress * * *

[two or three words indistinct] can we get over the future hard times? We must make right the basis of our nation. In our nation justice shall be the supreme law and the guiding principle.

We must also recognize law as the basis of all relations between the nations: we must recognize it and respect it from inner conviction.

Respect for concluded treaties will be as sacred as the aim of our nation to belong to the European family of nations as a member of which we want to mobilize all human moral and material forces in order to heal the dreadful wounds which the war has caused.

Then we may hope that the atmosphere of hatred which today surrounds Germany all over the world will give place to a spirit of reconciliation among the nations, without which the world cannot recover.

Then we may hope that we will again receive the freedom without which no nation can lead a bearable and dignified existence. Let us devote the future of our nation to the meditation of the innermost and best forces of the German spirit, which has given the world lasting achievements and values.

To our pride in the heroic struggle of our nation let us link the determination-belonging as we do to the world of the Christian western civilization-to make to the honest work of peace a contribution which shall be worthy of the best traditions of our nation.

May God not leave us in our efforts. May He bless our difficult task."

This was followed by the last comminique of the Wehrmacht, the great German armed focres, which with honour and dignity, now laid down it's arms after 6 years of bitter struggle. The comminque had similar language to the first proclamation, and in this, a slow, rendering version of the German national anthem played. Donitz had tears in his eyes, they were flowing down freely. His fatherland was defeated.

Nuremburg, September 30, 1946.

The defendants of the Nuremburg trials, famous guys like Rudolf Hess, thr former deputy fuhrer, now nearly bald, the fat Goering, head of the German air force and major politician, Keitel and Jodl, high ranking staff officers in Grey German uniforms without insignia, Speer and Donitz himself sat down in their seats in the dock for the last time, cameras were flashing. All of the defendants shaked, full of fear, not knowing what their fate would be. The Judge read out "Karl Donitz, yyou are sentanced to ten years in prison, for waging aggressive war and breaking international law at sea..." Donitz's heart sank. Although only 10 years, he would be still alive, it was unfair to him. The Allies had done the same things at sea, some Allied naval officers who sympathised with him even admitted that the Allies navies did the same thing at sea! Deep inside, Donitz still felt himself as the head of the German state........

(The real speeches, coutsey of http://www.adolfhitler.ws documents section)
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Wasn't Schleswig-Holstein already captured? IIRC, Schleswig was lost at the end of WWII to the danes who lost it in the Danish-Prussian wars.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

I honestly do not believe Doenitz would do anything.

If I recall, after he was released, Doenitz went into seclusion rather than try to reinvent himself like Albert Speare and Baldur von Schirach.

He was a devout Christian and I doubt would want to have anything to do with a fourth reich.

It might even be probable that Doenitz would try to escape his Liberators and return to the allies to avoid reprisals against the German people and to prevent a reich in exile since unlike the war years he could no longer be able to be blind to what the nazis were.
Helmut Von Moltke

intresting, but where is the source for this? btw, most of this is fantasy just like the movie "The Eagle has landed" so.... 8) Also 17th Pz Gren, Schleswig Holsten, according to Speer's memoirs "Inside the Third Reich", was still Donitz's HQ at the time.
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Most of what I learned about Doenitz was from his obituary when he died while I was in High School plus the various bits found in books and tv documenteries on the battle of the Atlantic.

Doenitz lost both of his sons during the war. One died in a U-boat the other died while serving in the E-boats. That plus the heavy casualties of the U-boat arm appear to have broken him.

Thus from all these sources my composite is of a man who is sick of the war and though proud of his technical achievments not so of the Political componants and of his master. Hence my conclusions.
Helmut Von Moltke

intresting points ans insights Michael, thanks. :up: so, perhaps Doenitz's government in exile might remove some extreme right wing elements like the NSDAP for these sorts of reasons, and ran a Junta run by Wehrmacht in exile?
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

I doubt Doenitz would want to have any exile government at all.

He didn't try to become a political force after his release. He didn't try to do anything to rally people around him. Just stepped off stage and disappeared from view. Didn't write any books as Albert Speere did. Didn't do anything other than keep to himself and stay within his little group of former U-boatmen.

Overall, I would say if you wanted to write an alternate history novel set around the possibilities I would say your story would revolve around an unhappy man whose looking at options which all end in ruin while being surrounded by people he loaths. As you will recall when Himmler showed up at his offices after Hitler made him his successor, Doenitz quietly pulled a gun.

As I said earlier, his first action would undoubtedly be to run to the allies.

Imagine our haggard grand admiral showing up at the American Consulate of some South American Country to request political asylum.

I doubt it would go much beyond that.