Good Wargame

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

jscott

Good Wargame

Post by jscott »

Anyone reccomend me a good wargame on WW2. Im willing to try those RTS games. Im what you would call an old school gamer. I like the old hex, turned based games of yesteryear.
God Save Texas!!!

If you want to see what a group of pissed off Texans can acomplish, look no further than the Alamo and to San Jacinto.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Robert Rojas
Supporter

RE: Good Wargame.

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to both brother J.Scott and the community as a whole. Well sir, in reference to your inquiry of Tuesday - March 14, 2006 - 2:09pm, old Uncle Bob would like to recommend the following Second World War gaming system for your perusal. The product line in question is entitled as EUROPA. The EUROPA system is a series of individual games that can be merged into one megagame which encompasses the British Isles to the West, the Arctic to the North, the Ural Mountains to the East and North Africa to the South. Ostensibly, the EUROPA system is an old fashioned hexagonal board wargame at the operational level. In otherwords, a healthy majority of the playing pieces tend to be division type units. The original publisher of the EUROPA system was Game Design Workshop which subsequently morphed into Game Research Design. At the present time, I can neither inform you who presently owns the publishing rights to the EUROPA system nor can I tell you if the EUROPA system is even in production. As you undoubtedly know, the advent of the computer driven wargame has all but driven the old fashioned board wargame into extinction. Oh, and by the way, it is always heartening for old yours truly to come across another old fashioned board wargaming aficionado! I hope this little blurb is of relevant assistance to you. Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this topic and hobby of mutual interest - for now anyway. In anycase, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day down in the Lone Star State.
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Hi jscott

There's loads of good boardgame-style turn-based wargames for the PC - check out the 'Panzer Campaigns' series especially. My own favourites are the good old Talonsoft/Matrix Games classics, 'Eastern Front' and 'Western Front' at the tactical level, and 'The Operational Art Of War' at the operational/strategic levels.

Regards
Jake
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Well if your willing to try WWII RTS' I would recommend: Sudden Strike this is probably the best but you will most likely have to dig through the bargain bins to find the Anthology Pack containg SS1 and SS2 and their expansions. Currently out is Blitzkrieg II its pretty good but Blitzkrieg I was much better IMO. Blitzkrieg II is a bit better though if you download one of the realism mods so that your infantry don't just stay cannon fodder.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Epaminondas
Supporter

Post by Epaminondas »

I'll second the operational art of war.

You might also want to consider Hearts of Iron II; its strategic however, but units are down to the divisional level.

So you can make decisions as to how to balance seapower, airpower and land power as Germany... decide to fight forward of the Dvina-Dnieper line as Russia, or on it... decide to go for Moscow, or Kiev as Germany or what ever.

Fun game. Matrix makes it.

Several player made mods of it as well.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

if you like shooters, then Battlfield 1942. :wink:
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

Call of Duty is recomended if you have DSL or broadband and Hidden and Dangerous 2 is probably the best and most detailed WW2 game up to date.
Semper Fi!!!!!
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

H&D? My dad was really bad at that because he gets owned on mission 1 8)
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
Victor1234

Post by Victor1234 »

For WW2 games, I play Hearts of Iron 2(the new Doomsday Expansion is still a bit buggy. Paradox games are always released too soon, but have a massive community of modders who fix them up) these days.

I used to play Clash of Steel, Panzer General and Operational Art of War(Century of Warfare) before I got newer games.....but I still boot up my old Windows 98 computer for a quick game of Panzer General now and then, and Operational Art of War is still good on the new computers.

Since I lack any basic arts and crafts skills, however, making models for boardgames and such isn't really my thing......
panzerschneider

Post by panzerschneider »

For hex based games, I greatly enjoyed playing Australian Design Group's (ADG) World in Flames in the late 80's thru the mid 90's. This was a massive strategic level game system with numerous add-on modules which enhanced the system. The colourful laminated counters were a true work of art, and the maps were just huge.

Unfortunately, due to the massive time investment, and physical space requirement, I haven't been able to set it up for the last 10 years or so. :( Someday again though...

Personally, I will take this game over HOI2 (or any other computer operational/strategic level wargame) any day. I started playing wargames in the early 80's (Avalon Hill of course!) and have loved board wargames ever since. Computer games are just too damn tempting though. :evil:
The 6th army has fought courageously, but has succumbed to vastly superior enemy efforts, and to, unfavourable circumstances...
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

I havn't played "Hearts of Iron 2" yet, but I will buy it as soon as possible... anyway, "Siltent Hunter III" is a good U-boot game, and there are lots of good combat flight simulators, and "Steel Panthers" is good strategy, "Combat mission" is fun sometimes just like the "Close combat" games. There are many good games!

:beer: Cheers
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Helmut Von Moltke

Simple Urban buildings are very easily made from different colours of the same material. They can be assembled using hot glue, (the buildings) and I will soon have a few simple patterns to use as a base. Any interest in games at that scale?
:D , show us some pics!
"Siltent Hunter III" is a good U-boot game,
yes, Erich Topp the U Boat ace advised that one, should be accurate, can't wait to get it! :D
"Combat mission" is fun sometimes just like the "Close combat" games.
which combat mission? There are 3, Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin, and Afika Korps. More info at http://www.battlefront.com, with demos of all the 3 versions, for anyone who's intrested 8)
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

I have only played "Combat mission 2" and well that's the game I ment... anyway, "Silent Hunter III" is great, and I allways play with german text and language, feels much better that way... so Erich Topp the U-boot ACE recomended it :D ! I sunk 84 000 tonnen to the bottom of the ocean in my last campaign and had the rank Oberleutnant z.s.

Regards,
S.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
Helmut Von Moltke

no, I think Erich Topp was the historical adviser to the producers of the game. :wink: