Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Post by phylo_roadking »

And now...I'll be generous; THIS is the answer to the puzzle -

THIS man links the (in)famous post-war two-stroke twin motorcycle (oh dear, did I just say that???) :D :D :D {I used to own one, I still wake up screaming at nights...} , Birmingham Small Arms, and that WWII weapon...

Who is he??? And how does he link them all together?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Time for another picture clue?

This one might give you A New Hope........ :D :D :D

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

sandpeople,hmm still not getting it :-)
united we stand,divided we fall
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Well, hello folks! May I be of some assistance...? 8)

The weapon is the Littlejohn adaptor.
The "sandpeople" are Jawa's and so is the Jawa 353 250cc bike!
The man on the picture is Mr. Frantisek Karel Janeček. In BSA connection "Littlejohn".
He is better known as the founder of the Jawa Motorcycle company and in this case
the inventor of the Littlejohn adaptor.

:wink:

waleed

PS. Nice seeing you all again!
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

man,now its clear,another 1 please :-)
united we stand,divided we fall
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The weapon is the Littlejohn adaptor.
The "sandpeople" are Jawa's and so is the Jawa 353 250cc bike!
The man on the picture is Mr. Frantisek Karel Janeček. In BSA connection "Littlejohn".
He is better known as the founder of the Jawa Motorcycle company and in this case
the inventor of the Littlejohn adaptor.
Waleed is indeed correct!

The answer is Frantisek Karel Janeček, inventor of the Littlejohn adaptor during WWII, and founder of Jawa...but that little sentence is perhaps selling the guy a little short!!!

Frantisek Karel Janecek was born into a wealthy Bohemian family in 1878 and married Baroness Carolina Strijk van Lindschoten with whom he had one son, Frantisek Karel Jnr in 1904. Their Prague based armaments factory expanded into motorcycle production in 1929, building under licence a copy of the Chemnitz built Wanderer motorcycle from adjacent Saxony. It was a combination of the first two letters of Janecek and Wanderer that gave us the Jawa motorcycle name.

After the Nazi invasion of Sudentenland in 1938, threatening the Janecek family estates, Frantisek Karel Jnr visited Britain regularly to try to interest the British government in his latest design for an anti tank gun. During one such trip, Frantisek Karel Jnr learned that Prague had fallen and just hours before the Nazis marched in, George Patchett (Janecek's English two-stroke designer/motorcycle racer) had thrown the only two prototypes of this new weapon over the wall of the British Embassy, from where they were subsequently smuggled to Britain safely inside a sofa.

George Patchett himself soon returned to Britain, walking past the distracted Nazi border guards with the blueprints in his jacket pocket, as they listened intently to a radio broadcast from the Führer.

Frantisek Karel Jnr stayed in Britain by pretending to the Nazis that he was there to spy on British armour plating technology, whilst simultaneously working for British Intelligence. At the outbreak of hostilities in 1939, British Military Intelligence informed the Nazi authorities that Frantisek Karel Jnr was a prisoner of war in Canada, whilst he actually worked throughout the war for BSA in Birmingham under the name of Littlejohn, the literal English translation of Janecek :wink: :wink: :wink:

The Littlejohn Adaptor that was developed from his designs was an attachment that screwed to the end of the existing British two-pound anti-tank gun, converting it to squeeze bore operation. As the hard cored tungsten round entered the adaptor its soft outer shell was compressed from 40mm to 30mm, giving it a smaller cross section, but with the same mass. Together with the increasing pressure within the tapered barrel, the round emerged as an APSV (armour piercing super velocity) projectile.

Next!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

One of the very few in history to have done what he did.
One of the few to be respected for what he achieved,
by men on both sides of the war.

I first read about him in Readers Digest... :[]
Who is he?
weeeeeee.jpg
weeeeeee.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 3125 times

waleed
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Okay Gents I will start this off, and a thousand apologies for allowing this thread to go dormant. Waleed, is he a Brit??
John W. Howard
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Hello John!

Yes, a brit!

He's hard to find besides on trivia and popular culture sites :roll:
Pretty anonymous besides that one choice in life which would change his life... :wink:
Not quite what he had expected!

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Another clue? Pleeeeeeeeeeeze?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Wait a sec...that moustache....

Jasper Maskelyne???
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Thanks, Phylo!!! That's who I was trying to think of, but half an hour of googling magic and illusion in WWII and various combinations, drew a zero.

I just saw something on his AA defense of Alex a few weeks back, but couldn't remember his name.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Sorry no magic involved here, only miracles! :wink:
and if that does not help here's another clue...

waleed
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

The moustache led me to Maskelyne too but i'm having some trouble fitting Maskelyne to Waleeds verbal clues.
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:One of the very few in history to have done what he did.
I can't find anyone that did what he did.
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:One of the few to be respected for what he achieved,
by men on both sides of the war.
Nowhere can I find any mention of respect by Germans.
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:He's hard to find besides on trivia and popular culture sites
Well...he's in Wikipedia.
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:Pretty anonymous besides that one choice in life which would change his life...
He joined the army in '39 like so many others and then showed his abilities to Lord Gort who ran with it. Is that the "one choice that changed his life" ?
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:Not quite what he had expected!
Well....he never expected not to get any recognition for his deeds, apart from some kind words by Churchill.

So I'm in doubt as to wether it actually is Maskelyne or wether waleed is slightly out of practice. :wink:
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

And while I wrote all that Waleed has proved me right by postig his next clue which I had missed while cutting and pasting his earlier clues :oops: :D :D :D :D :D