Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Over the last ten years there have been times when it seemed
hostile but then nothing stays the same and the atomsphere slowly changes. By leaving your giving
in to the hostile environment that is prompting you to leave.

I don't contribute to this thread but I read it everyday.
I quite enjoy seeing the comradeship that is obvious here.

I guess I am saying "please don't leave".

:wink:
Annelie

Post by Paulus II »

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:I know, I will not be a great loss to the community
Wrong Waleed :!: . You will be a big loss to the community :!:
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:I will be retiring myself from further riddling and probably also feldgrau as.....
Very sad to read this and I do wish you would reconsider.
Please re-read the PM you sent me a few weeks ago when I was on the brink of quitting this forum. What you said to me equally applies to you and hopefully you could draw the same strength from your own words that I did :up:

Very best (though very sad :( ) regards,

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I'll keep things moving along....

Believe it or not, these two images have a VERY direct connection with a VERY famous location/event in WWII...

Name the place/event - but ALSO the connection!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

And what about the Danish-Swedish Axis of Riddlers :?: :?: :?:

Do reconsider your decision Waleed. Your contributions have always been as filled with information as your riddles have been rewardingly entertaining. Don't let the Trolls get to you... I, for one will try my utmost to stay out of all the ideological agenda-ridden posts that contains several of this Forums more... trollish members. There is still a tremendous amount of great knowledge and detailed information on every (german) aspect of WWII that passes here every day, not to forget the entertaining and yes, cameraderie that also regularly shows up on this forum.

I would surely miss you, my danish riddler friend! :( I mean, just that you post your note of resignation in the Mother of All Threads... :wink:
C'mon Waleed! That's a sign if anything! :D

Riddling anti-trollish regards from Sweden,

Krollspell, pissed but staying... 8)
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

*major* picture clue warning!.....

...a household name...

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Please reconsider Waleed.

I've been really bussy with work lately but I have had half an eye on the forum and I don't like the direction it's gone lately either.

If you allow me to make a suggestion: The hollidays are comming next week. Take some time off from the forum, eat too much, drink too much, spend some time with the family, relax.....or do all of the above, I know I will :wink: :D

After that we can return to the forum with new energy and hopefully the moderators have viciously cut down the ranks on both side of these petty quarrels :up:

Riddling and Feldgrauian regards
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Another picture clue....this puzzle will be FULL of them, not many verbals needed!

A beautiful North American beach resort...

Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-115981505.html

Can't be bothered setting up account for the full story as I'm sure Phylo
will fill in all the gaps... 8)

:beer: to you all!

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Indeed! The "household name" of the 1930s and 1940s was of course Sir Malcolm Campbell, holder of the World Land Speed Record in "Bluebird"

But where does a pogostick come into WWII?

Well, late in the autumn 0f 1943, a set of low-level aerial recce pictures of Normandy (the place!) in preparation for D-Day (the event!) showed a strange set of shadows where the sand at the top of one of the planned beaches met the normal coastal vegetation. Enquiries via the Resistance revealed something the planners hadn't know...that there where areas of root vegetation over laying the sand there, and they suddenly panicked - for THIS would unpredictably vary how the sand on the beach retained...or DIDN'T retain sea water after the tide went out!

This may sound a bit trivial... but how FIRM the sand underfoot would be at certain hours of the day and after or before high tide factored into how TANKS could be deployed on the beach!

Major panic. So the government approached one man who was expert at how seawater was retained by sand and for how long after high tide etc. - Malcolm Campbell, who's EARLY recordbreaking career had been on Pendine Sands in Engand, before Bonneville Salt Flats in the USA. Campbell said he couldn't say without actually seeing the sand at a time after high tie that would mirror expected conditions in the invasion.

So as Christmas Eve fled into Christmas Day 1943, Sir Malcolm Campbell was put ashore by submarine, together with his chosen piece of testing equipment...a POGOSTICK!...was led through the defences to the area in question, and as Santa and Rudolf, Donner and Blitzen, Prancer and Dancer etc. passed overhead - Sir Malcolm Campbell merrily bounced up and down the firm, water-retaining sand to test if it was firm ENOUGH...

And the Florida resort in the pictures above?

JUNO BEACH! :D
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Has been some time since I last posted here. Thanks friends is all I'm going to say for now. That said, lets get on with the riddling!

Who is this?

Clue: You've seen it!

waleed
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Excellent Waleed, finally a new riddle! :D

Not that I have any idea (yet :wink: ) but will start guessing with...

An american?

And if I've seen it could it be a movie, or something in real life that later inspired a movie?

I'll definitely be back!

Krollspell 8)
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It's not the OTHER pilot who events in "Pearl Harbour" are modelled on, the one I couldn't find a wartime pic of?
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

It's not the OTHER pilot who events in "Pearl Harbour" are modelled on, the one I couldn't find a wartime pic of?
No, sorry.
An American?
Yes!
...could it be a movie, or something in real life that later inspired a movie?
Yes!

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hmmm...parachute wings - a film or a TV series??? :wink:
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

:wink:
Yes!
parachute wings
Yes.

This next image should lead you all in the right direction... 8)

maritime regards

waleed