Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Nope! Wrong side of the ocean!

NOTE the position and use of inverted commas..."legendary"...in the initial clue.... :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

A PICTURE clue as to the location in the first clue....

"Large as life, and twice as ugly!!!"
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Phylo!
A PICTURE clue as to the location in the first clue....

Isn't the blonde man the Motorcycle police "Goose" from the classic 1979 movie "Mad Max"? Location as in (post-apocalyptic) Australia?

An old favorite of mine, "Mad Max" that is! 8)

Mad regards,

Krollspell :beer:
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

He is indeed! "Jimmy the Goose - large as life and twice as ugly!"

So you're PART of the way to deciphering the location clue....but only at the start of the journey...
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

To Waleed, old riddler friend!

We are apparently getting older and older don't you agree :?:

Here's Riddle version 1.0 of the Kennedy/Bing Bang thing! :wink:

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... start=1185

With best regards,

Krollspell (also having an on/off memory...)
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Another picture clue?

The weapon this gentleman designed was finally withdrawn from service, because other weapons with a similar use became available that did NOT interfere with production of THIS...

Anyone recognise the colour codings?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

So, we have a grinning happy chappie...anyone recognise the trophies/awards?.....at a prize-giving at a certain well-known location (Oh Yes It Is! ....oops, it's the Panto season!) to which the best clue in the world is Jimmy the Goose. Does Jimmy have another name - a REAL name??? And we have a British 3" motar bomb....but what KIND of bomb? What kind of bomb whose contents could be made scarce by ANOTHER weapon being to consume precious raw materials?

Time for another clue???
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I've heard of "knowing your onions".....

...but does anyone know their spuds? :D :D :D

Verbal Clue....its an early-cropping variety.....
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Here goes...

Major Northover
Seager Evans' Championship 1938.
(Steve) Bisley Shooting Ranges.

Spuds... alcohol? Poteen! :beer: - and Whiskey (Evans).

Northover was the inventor of the Northover Projector,
yet one of the many Home Guard weapons, which used precious
"green-cap" Self-Igniting Phosphorus grenades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northover_projector

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Waleed, well done!

The spuds in question, are in Fact...."Home Guard"!!!

Steve BISLEY played Jimmy the Goose, and Major H Northover was a champion shooter at the world-famous Bisley Gun Club, where he is pictured receiving the Club's annual Seager Trophy in 1938. Bisley is STILL the world's premier range-shooting venue and championship, hosting the rifle shooting events for the Manchester Commonwealth Games, and will be hosting them again in 2012 at the London Olympics.

The Northover Projector had just been substantially redesigned by Northover, to incorporate a number of major modifications, including a "revolver" chamber system thought up by one Home Guard unit, and a bipod mount - when further production was cancelled in favour of the Blacker Bombard. MANY homeguard units, and the regular army units who were issued the Projector, found it a FAR more accurate and versatile weapon than the replacement spigot mortar, far more portable, easier to conceal in the field, requiring a MUCH smaller crew of two than the Bombard's minimum crew of FIVE, using a variety of munitions such as white phosphorus grenades and No. 36 Mills Bombs that were already issued to them, and the breech action meant it could be loaded in cover.

However - the MAIN reason for the introduction of the Bombard...or rather the withdrawl of the Projector...was the War Department complained that production of the hundreds of thousands of white phosporous projectiles for the thousands of projectors then used, let alone the imminent production of a revolver system that would vastly increase the amount of ammunition required and would actually BE expended during training....was biting hard into the availability of raw latex and white phosporous - which in varying proportions was what was used to generate smoke in solid smoke projectiles! And with the Desert War hotting up through 1941, smoke mortar bomb stocks were running down in-theatre fast!

Although Northover DID receive a royalty for each item produced, in the end he SPENT all of this...organising a demonstration team of training NCOs with whom he travelled the length and breadth of the country in 1940-41 giving demonstrations to literally HUNDREDS of Home Guard units - and paying each man's travelling and accomodation costs himself!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Tough one there, Phylo :up:

This should be an easy one for the trained eye.

Question is simply what plane is this?

waleed
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Ehh, not a single attempt in a day's time?

I have no option then. It's nothing else than Mitsubishi J2M Raiden interceptor (IIRC Americans gave it codename 'Jack'), sporting USAAF markings.

Regards,

MJU
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Yes indeed Njorl, its the Mitsubishi Raiden (Thunderbolt)
with american "postwar" markings.

Found an interesting site about IJA/IJN planes tested by
the allies and allied planes tested by the Japanese.
Good pictures and info on the TIAC and TIAU
(Technical Air Intel. Center/Unit
http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/

Wonder what AKIRA would say about all of this? :D

Over to you Njorl

Deep (Japanese-style) bowing regards

waleed
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

:? I have corresponded with Njorl who has not got the time to post the next riddle right now.

Therefor there are these options:
1: Anyone can post the next riddle
2: Wait till Njorl gets back
3: Ignore the above mentioned and...

I will be retiring myself from further riddling and probably also feldgrau as such as
I have found Feldgrau to be a hostile place to visit. This is based on more than a year
or so of frequent if not daily visits to this site and especially Soldatenheim.

I know, I will not be a great loss to the community and I'm not trying to make a
drama out of it either. Simply stating my honest feelings and taking a rest from it all.
One might also call it "self control"... :D Usually keeps me out of trouble! :wink:

Good riddling to all

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Waleed, you should stay in and "effect change from within"....if only by "keeping your head while all around are loosing theirs", to misquote :-(
Last edited by phylo_roadking on Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.