Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

Don't overwhelm me by replying all at once!

A few big fat clues, then...

He was neither French nor a soldier, but he was a very nobel character rather more famous for other reasons.

dduff
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

Here's a US airman receiving the same decoration as the man above. If you can ID him (and hence the medal received), the rest should be easy.

dduff
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello dduff!

Your last picture shows Major James Stewart when he recieved the Croix de guerre in 1944. The french officer that decorates him was Henri Valin of the French Air Force.

So we have a Gentleman that apparently survived the war though he was hunted by the Gestapo :( , decorated by the French :D , and apparently awarded by the Swedes... :shock:

I'll be back!

Krollspell 8)
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hehehe...

So if you just wait for Godot, you'll have the answer! :wink: Nobel laureate Samuel Beckett (recieved the Nobel prize in 1969). Interesting, I didn't know that he was such a staunch member of La resistance... It's always a good thing when you learn something new! :D Good riddle! :up:

Literary regards,

Krollspell :[]
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

Yes, yes indeed -- we have a winner. I was beginning to think I was waiting for Godot until you saved my blushes.

Stewart later added an Oscar to his Croix - I'm sure the two looked nice together on the mantlepiece. Beckett, unknown at the time of his decoration, added a Nobel as you mention. As a neutral, he could have left France without trouble as soon as the Germans arrived. He chose to stay, saying he 'preferred France at war to Ireland at peace.' The tourist board joined the Gestapo in the hunt after that!

He'd been part of the Gloria SMH resistance ring, collecting drops from agents and collating the information, until its liquidation in 1942. Unlike most members, he escaped the dragnet and survived the war.

Seeing as there's a shortage, I'll go against tradition and post a second:

This US Cruiser sortied from Pearl Harbour but was subsequently sunk by which enemy submarine? More interesting than it looks, this one is WORTH WINNING, believe me.

dduff
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And we're back online! :D :D :D I was quite worried for a while... This thread of Photo riddles kinda grows on you! :wink:

Thanks Jason! :up:

And then it was dduff's Cruiser riddle...

The Cruiser is/was the USS Phoenix that managed to remain unharmed while laying for anchor at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Decommission some years after WWII, this light cruiser was sold to Argentina and re-named "General Belgrano". As such, the ship was attacked and sunk by the HMS Conqueror on May 2, 1982, being the only ship ever sunk by a nuclear-powered submarine.

Some links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix_%28CL-46%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_General_Belgrano

Regards,

Krollspell
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

Bang on the nail, Doktor. Great job. I stretched the meaning of the word 'subsequently' a little -- 41 years subsequently in this case! I was going to post a few clues, but they proved unnecessary. Fraid I'm out of ideas now...

dduff
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello dduff and other Fellow Riddlers!

I will be partly away for the coming Easter Weekend so anyone, please post a riddle! :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Okay, this guy was an Allied pilot in WWII; quite famous in the last twenty years, son of a more famous father. Lives quietly in France now, and does a lot of editing. In fact - as editor is about to publish another volume of his father's writings this month. Who is he?

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

A clue - the book will be about flawed heroes, a curse, dragons....and incest.....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...and a Black Sword....

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Mae gowannen Phylo, or should I say "The Return of the Roadking"... :wink:

Christopher Tolkien, the youngest son of J. R. R. Tolkien served as a pilot in the RAF during WWII (He was born in 1924). As you said, he's living in France and have done a lot of compiling and editing of his father's work (and of his discarded manuscripts). Maybe too much... :?

With literary regards,

Krollspell :[]
Magnus
Contributor

Post by Magnus »

Ack! you beat me to it Krollspell. @{

Was trying to find out what RAF unit he belonged to but the amount of other Tolkien related sites to wade through made it hard.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

And by four minutes Magnus! :D

If you find what RAF unit that Christopher Tolkien served in, please post it. And Magnus, do post a riddle while you're at it! I'm out of ideas for the moment but will definitely be back! 8)

As always,

Krollspell :beer:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Congrats, Herr Doktor! What I DO know is he was stationed in Rhodesia at one point during the war, which might provide a guide; it was then that JRRT wrote and told him about his work to date and despite several years work the Fellowship was only as far as Moria....and thats where they stopped for the rest of the war. Always sounded like bad writer's block to me.

And "The Children of Hurin" is due for publication this month; counting my coppers already....