Feldgrau Forum Photo Riddle ?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Rosselsprung wrote:The bunkers were all built from the leftover turrets of the ships, especially Gneisenau ...
and Tirpitz (those in Netherlands).
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

AARRGGH!!!

They all belonged to one single ship :D

Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Gneisenau, Tirpitz :shock:

Just one of the above please 8)

Now I'm getting confused :(

Paul
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Ok, Bismarck was sunk in 1941 and was in no way recovering. Cross that one off. Tirpitz was sunk in 1944. Scharnhorst was sunk in 1943. Gneisenau was the only one that could be scrapped and broken up.

So, Gneisenau?
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Also- the the 38cm gun mounts must be for the Gneisenau's 28cm turrets refitted for 38cm guns?
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Yes! Being fitted with the guns of the Gneisenau is wat made these bunkers special.

Well done Rosselsprung!

Between 11 and 13 februari 1942 both Scharnhorst and Gneisenau broke through the English Channel from Brest to Kiel where they arrived on 14 februari.
On 26/27 februari she was bombed while in the docks in Kiel and suffered such extensive damage (mainly because her own munition blew up) that she was brought to Gotenhafen (Gdynia) and decommisioned on 1 juli 1942. She was to be upgunned to take two 38cm guns in each of her turrets but his project was called off in januari 1943. All her big guns, 15cm, 28cm and the new 38cm, were then used for coastal defence along the Atlantik Wall.
The six turrets with the 15cm guns were split in three pairs. The first pair went to the island of Fanü in Denmark (after the war they were moved to Stevnsford and used by the Danish until being decommissioned in the 1970's), the second pair went to Julianadorp in Holland to be part of MKB Zanddijk and the third pair went to the Frisian island of Wangerooge.
One of the turrets with the 28cm guns was dismantled and the guns placed in different bunkers with MKB Rozenburg near the Hook of Holland (after the war the Europoort was built over the remains of these bunkers). The other two turrets were sent intact to Norway where they became part of MKB Fjell and MKB Orland. Finally the 38cm guns were sent to Denmark where they became part of Batterie Tirpitz.

All info was taken from these sites:
http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/gneisen ... _menu.html
http://www.waffenhq.de/schiffe/scharnhorstklasse.html
http://www.projekt-gneisenau.de/contend ... wissen.asp
http://www.panzermauer.nl/index.php?act ... d-zanddijk
http://home.hib.no/mediesenter/krigsmin ... /index.htm

Over to you Rosselsprung :D

Cheers,

Paul
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Thanks Paulus. Now, how are these three connected-

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

OK - T34/85, a U-Boat....and Scotch whisky. At least Im assuming its Scotch.....This is either very subtle or a variation on "Whisky Galore"!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Er... perhaps this should be clarified.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

So... it's pure Wesson Vegetable Oil? :D
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Is it something to do with engine oil?
Vegetable based as opposed to mineral?
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

or is it something to do with DIESEL???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Or rather - whats known as "BioDiesel" here in N.I.?
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Post by Rosselsprung »

Phylo, you cannot be fooled. Both the T34/85 and most models of U-boats ran on diesel engines. And diesel engines were originally designed to run on a variety of fuels, including vegetable oil.

Onto you.......
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

lol i KNEW you were going to say that......

The only reason I know is....by the light of day I'm a bike courier in a company that runs vans and bikes, and a lot of the diesel vam owners have tried recently running on whats marketed here as "bio diesel" - chip oil recycled from fish and chip shops!!! Very sluggish and sooty, and you need to change ALL your filters, but when youre doing maybe 400 miles a day the few shillings' savings reckons out across the working week.

ok stand by, the next one is baaaaaaad.....! 8)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Right - stitch THIS, jimmy.......

Name all three, THEN put them in date order! THEN tell me whats VERY VERY odd about ONE of them......

P.S. Yes, one was used in large nmbers by the Wehrmacht and Feldgendarmerie. An example EVEN appears in The Great Escape!

number one.....

number two.....

number three.....

God I'm good!!! LMAO