"Forgotten Soldier" could a movie even portray it?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

brian_05

"Forgotten Soldier" could a movie even portray it?

Post by brian_05 »

--- Moved from BOOKS Forum by moderator ---

I think this book would make an excellent movie, though I also think this may just be due to the fact that it was simply one of the most evocative books I've ever read. I am assuming the book was originally written in French and later translated into the English version I read. Not having read the original French version, I have to say the English translation was excellent.

I think any fan of the book would love to see it on film, but I also think that it simply couldn't be completed in a way to match the books power. Anything less than a top notch production team and cast would be needed. You would also require a tremendous budget for the battle scenes. It would probably also require one of the best screenwriters in the world to get across Sajer's thoughts and emotions.

The more I think about it the more I feel it couldn't be accomplished.

Brian
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

CROSS OF IRON was a good movie. Das Boot was good. Europa Europa was interesting.

It's been a long time since I read Guy Sajer's work. But I believe it would make an interesting movie. Certainly would be a lot better than the Sex and drugs filled Politically Correct Bush bashers that Hollywood is putting out to its own bankruptcy.

Memoirs of a Geisha I tried to read. For a novel that has been getting such AWsom reviews I found IT ABSOUTELY AWFUL. Not to mention BORING, but they're making a movie out of it. Then there's the Da Vinci Code.

P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute. Now we know where they went when they grew up.

There are a lot of books that would make great movies. The stories of the German soldiers during WWII are as intereesting as those of the American soldiers. More interesting since We Americans grew up with those stories. I suppose the same can be said of Canadians and their grandfathers. Or Australians and their's and the same can be said in Britain.

Another book that would make a great movie, I feel, is NACHEMIA German & Jew in the Holocaust written by Nachemia Wurman a Jew who hid in the German army during the war.

Problem is Hollywood. You're going to have as much luck getting Hollywood to make a movie other than the bombs they like as I found trying to get the Liberal elite of the Publishing World to show interest in my novel.

Really do wish things were different.
desert_fox

Post by desert_fox »

I heard in AHF that it was filming in Poland.

Regards
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Michael N. Ryan wrote:Then there's the Da Vinci Code.
Hey! I liked that book! I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with a film

Of course, I also enjoyed National Treasure, as long as I remembered to keep it in context.

And, I'm looking forward to the Narnia movie, too!

Okay, back on topic. I hope somebody does do a movie of Forgotten Soldier, and that they do it properly![/i]
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doug Nash
Author

Forgotten Soldier Movie

Post by Doug Nash »

Here's the latest from the guy who's the screenwriter for The Fogotten Soldier film project. He and I are in regular contact -
Sajer has FINALLY agreed to sign the legal papers giving a certain studio production rights to the movie - I don't know if he's signed them yet however, since he takes forever to make up his mind.
On the other hand, Paul Verhoeven, who had been avidly pursuing the goal of being the director for the film version of the book, got tired of waiting for Sajer to make up his mind, so he signed on to direct another WW2 epic - involving the Japanese general Yamashita, of all things.
So whether Verhoeven will want to do two WW2 movies in a row is an open question - ask again in about six month.
Yes, IF it does get filmed, it will probably have to be done in Eastern Europe - Poland, Czech Republic, Russia, Ukraine - all are contenders because it's so cheap compartively to film there.
I'm seen the outline of the screenplay, and if it's ever filmed, it ought to be pretty good, what with CGI graphics and such - you could make the Battle of Kursk come alive onscreen like never before.
Regards,
Doug Nash
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

GREAT! :D
Any talks about the posssible actors already?
Doug Nash
Author

TFS Movie

Post by Doug Nash »

No, none yet. That's up to Verhoeven if he signs on to direct. I hope that he avoids American actors, since except with a few exceptions, most are unable to evoke the European character of the era.
M.H.
Patron

Re: TFS Movie

Post by M.H. »

Doug Nash wrote:No, none yet. That's up to Verhoeven if he signs on to direct. I hope that he avoids American actors, since except with a few exceptions, most are unable to evoke the European character of the era.
I agree! :wink:
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Doug Nash wrote:...most are unable to evoke the European character of the era.
Sadly, I have to agree too.

However, I'm available for a non-speaking part! Cheap, too!! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doug Nash
Author

TFS Movie redux

Post by Doug Nash »

One of the things about Sajer that I find curious is his depiction of himself in his book. Reading it, you would gain the impression that he was a small and diminuitive sort of fellow, suffering from what we'd call "low self-esteem issues" today. However, having seen a number of pictures of him as well as a self portrait, he is a rather big fellow and quite robust looking, even in his 70s. He certainly doesn't seem to have any self-esteem issues these days; if anything, just the opposite!
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Tom wrote:
Doug Nash wrote:...most are unable to evoke the European character of the era.
Sadly, I have to agree too.

However, I'm available for a non-speaking part! Cheap, too!!
Manno Tom, I would be an Extra for FREE!!!! :D
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Doug,

Thats very interesting, I had the same impression of him from the book too. Mabye just downplaying his own bravery. One thing that made me sit up was his promotion to Ober...I thought that didnt click with his own description of himself, as you didnt get promoted if you were useless.

Is there any chance of squeezing Sajer's contact details from you, purely to enter into corrospondence with him? Please PM me if you are open to this, or possibly passing a letter on, through yourself.

PS, Shame Max Schell isnt still in his prime, he would have made an excellent Wesreidau.

Cheers,
Jock
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Mabye just downplaying his own bravery.
LMAO!!!!!!

That is the best one I have heard about Mouminoux! :D :D :D :D

Cheers,

Christian
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

<Double post, See below>
Last edited by Jock on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jock
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi,

We arn't discussing whether Sajer was telling the truth or not, but personally I believe he did, and so do many others. The daft reasoning that people give that his story is innacurate, he makes mistakes regarding places/units, blah blah is stupid. He was a Private in a very large, messy war. Christian, you think you could remember every place name and unit you saw during a 3 year period in Russia? Remembering that 3 year period is going to be so filled with horror, highs, lows, friends dying? At 18 years old? While trying your hardest to stay alive? And you are writing all this 20 years later.

If you could, you should probably join the circus, and be the amazing memory man, because most people couldn't.

I dont mind a bit of debate about Sajer, but please dont question his bravery till you can prove he did not serve - on the eastern front of all places.

Cheers,
Jock