Shameless self-publicity

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Prit
Contributor

Shameless self-publicity

Post by Prit »

http://www.lulu.com/content/173468

Now this is truly a forum heroes production. Our very own DCC helped me hugely with writing this, and another forum hero did the fantastic artwork on the cover (I will refrain from mentioning his name until he gives me permission).

Enjoy!

Prit
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, Prit, as promised I just placed my order.

Is the Commissar in it??
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

HEY! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D
But...this cover... :(
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

Thanks, Tom!

MH, of course, is the creator of the cover. And a very fine cover it is too!

The commissar is in it, in a sense. There's one character who was created when the first wave of forum heroes stories was at its height, and although the character in the book is not a commissar, I confess I frequently got the two mixed up in my head!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Prit wrote: I confess I frequently got the two mixed up in my head!
Hmmmm...... :? I don't know if that's a good thing or not? :D :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

Congratulations.

Writing a novel is a lot of work. Getting it published is a lot more.

I speak from experience. My novel SEALION's BYTE is published by by PublishAmerica
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm about halfway through this book.

It's quite good.

Really
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

WELL DONE PRIT, MY OLD FRIEND !!!!

May I be one of the first to congratulate you on your fine work "There Stood a Soldier" !!!!

http://www.lulu.com/content/173468#

I KNEW YOU HAD IT IN YA !!

Even, way back when we were proof-reading the adventures of "Dieter" - "Elsner" - "Knappe" - "Peter" - "Ernst" and the rest of the gang, searching through the streets of Königsberg, I knew you had the skills to put together a literary work of art !!

Again - congratulations, Sir, on an effort well done !!

I bet that "mad Scotswoman" of yours is as proud as punch !!

My most sincere best wishes to a fine gentleman and good Feldgrau friend,

John Mulholland

p.s. Have you told Dr.J.Reggler yet ?? Want me to run a copy up to him ??
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

*drums impatiently with fingers* :?
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Now I know what to get myself for my Birthday, thanks. Can't wait to read it.

Nice are work there MH.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Thanks! :D
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

My apologies, M.H.! I was impressed with the cover as soon as I opened the package, but failed to mention it publicly. Mea culpa...

Both front and back covers are quite good!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Hmmm....I have my magnanimous day today and you may be forgiven!
:D
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Alright, Lords and Ladies, here is my two pfennigs worth on Dr. Buttar's newly published work:

There Stood a Soldier

by P.S. Buttar

Those who study military history at all, much less World War II specifically are at least familiar with the events surrounding the battle for the city of Stalingrad. The encirclement of 6th Army, and the subsequent surrender of its remnants are well known. For the aficionado of the battle, there are several histories and memoirs available. What Dr. Buttar has done with this book, though, is to put a very human face on things that drives home the horror and loss of war.

One of the things that most impressed me about this story was the panoply of characters that the author handled quite expertly. It’s hard enough to invent realistic characters each with their own personalities, quirks, and foibles. That Dr. Buttar was able to do this on both sides of the front, with so many people makes him deserving of very high marks.

Prit has managed to present several sides of war in his character usage. On the German side, it is quite possible to feel the privation and suffering endured by the men of 6th Army. He has brought together differing perspectives on the battle by introducing men from all levels of the division. Not only does this help the reader to understand more about the men involved, but it also helps us to follow the course of the overall battle.

On the Russian side, he has managed to present to the reader many facets of the Red Army. From the professional soldier, to the single-minded Commissar, to the most raw recruit, we meet a group of men who put a real face on what many consider the faceless mass of khaki moving across the steppe. Using the same cast of characters, Dr. Buttar is also able to trace the learning curve, as the Red Army learns to deal with the Fascist invaders.

It is the use of the homefront that I think really brings the human cost to the fore. Through well crafted letters written both in Germany and Russia, the reader is able to get a better picture of the suffering involved in war. One is reminded that it is not just the soldier that suffers in war.

Dr. Buttar has managed to make his story ring authentic by use of legitimate mannerisms and speech patterns used by both sides during the war. He has made good use of knowledgeable friends and contacts in Europe and the former Soviet Union to work a high degree of authenticity into this work. There were several times when I had to remind myself that I was reading a fictional novel, not a memoir.

I will admit to disappointment in two points. The first was that I was able to get through the book as quickly as I did. The other, I can’t disclose here, as it would impact on your enjoyment of the book.

I would strongly encourage anyone with even mild interest in the subject matter to read this book. It will give you a new perspective on this battle, the men who fought on both sides, and the people who waited for them at home.

For what it's worth, this review has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he and I are pals, and Forum Hero Kameraden. I can assure you that what is written above is strictly on the merits of the book.

Enjoy!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Ok, so I finally find the time to sit down and read this book (at the beach the last few days) and all I can say is wow. Why did I wait?

Prit - excellent work, I truly loved this story.

I strongly recommend this to all of the forum heroes - its just fantastic.