Let's have a Time of Seriousness for Katrina's Victims

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

Let's have a Time of Seriousness for Katrina's Victims

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

All joking on other Threads aside, judging from the news reports today, the Gulf Coast of the Southern United States has suffered catastrophically from Hurricane Katrina.
I know this post is technically against Soldatenheim's rules, but one must hope that the death toll doesn't rise.
New Orleans appears to be in desperate shape and places like Gulfport and Biloxi have also been savaged. These are indeed hard times for many Americans, and I hope that every effort is made to repair the damage and rebuild folks' lives.
Some of our earliest contributors are from the affected areas, and my heart goes out to them and I hope that they and their families are safe.

So, my Best Regards and Best Hopes for the Future to them and all others caught up in this tragedy of nature.

~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Re: Let's have a Time of Seriousness for Katrina's Victims

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:All joking on other Threads aside, judging from the news reports today, the Gulf Coast of the Southern United States has suffered catastrophically from Hurricane Katrina.
I know this post is technically against Soldatenheim's rules, but one must hope that the death toll doesn't rise.
New Orleans appears to be in desperate shape and places like Gulfport and Biloxi have also been savaged. These are indeed hard times for many Americans, and I hope that every effort is made to repair the damage and rebuild folks' lives.
Some of our earliest contributors are from the affected areas, and my heart goes out to them and I hope that they and their families are safe.

So, my Best Regards and Best Hopes for the Future to them and all others caught up in this tragedy of nature.

~D, the EviL
Hi David,

I certainly can't disagree with anything you have written above. Let's hope and pray that the South shall rise again. Let's not forget that one/fourth of all crude oil which enters the United States goes through that area, the refineries are not working, probably hundreds dead, and disease is a very real possibility. I've heard gas prices at the pump will be about $3.00/ gal by the weekend, for the whole nation. Looting is rampant; what a disaster!!! :shock: 8)

Best, Walter
"A person hears only what they understand."-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Walter, yes this looks to be a disaster of the utmost seriousness. It looks like for the rest of the country gasoline will go up pretty immediately past $3.00 a gallon. So the economy will slow.

New Orleans has at least two gaping holes in major levees and about 30,000 people are in the Superdome. According to the TV, the city may not have electricity for two months(!) Pictures of Biloxi and Gulfport are very bad--some places were just smashed flat.

This is a very bad week for us Americans and I have a feeling that the country is only slowly beginning to realize it due to the difficulty in getting the media to the worse hit places.

Best,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

From what I've heard on the news about the economic importance of New Orleans, it may not be just Americans who suffer the fallout from this catastrophe.

From what I've seen, the death toll could have been considerably higher. I hope it stays where it is. Having gone through several hurricanes while living in North Carolina, I shudder at what it must have felt like to go through Katrina.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

It's open season on looters...

Post by L. Kafka »

A few "confirms" would hit the spot. (Pun intended.)
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

The South will bounce back,but it's going to cost a lot of money.I wonder if all the countries who said the US was cheap,we didn't give enough to the poor,will they come to our aide as we did for them many times?
Paul
Banned

Post by Paul »

having been through "a big one" I hope the Goverment does the right thing and fast, I wonder how far Bush will go to helping with federal funds......... he just seems to be out there asking people to donate...

we can spend zillions invading an other country, yet when we have a natural disaster people should donate???

Meanwhile The media runs bullshit stories like:

"Oil prices jumped by more than $3 a barrel on Tuesday, climbing above $70 a barrel, amid uncertainty about the extent of the damage to the Gulf region's refineries and drilling platforms."

When in all reality Hurricane Katrina had jackshit impact on the price of oil.

Quite simply the american goverment has been buying up oil for ages and stock piling it (something you do when you expect a war, or use as an excuse for driving up the price which i think is the reason.......i think it wants to push inflation up)

not only that but american hedge funds have been buying up too on the roller coaster of fear, and now thinks like Hurricane Katrina get used as an excuse to convince the gullable..........its a corrupt world, but dont worry they cant keep buying the oil for ever...........

its interesting to note that the red cross says that it has launched the largest mobilisation of resources in its history for a single natural disaster

I wonder where all these people are going to live.
Where did all the "Good" people go?
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

I agree with the assesment. From what I have been reading on the internet, Katrina hit will all the fury of the Hurricane that hit Houston on the beginning of the twentieth century. I only hope that the Death Toll doesn't even reach a fraction of that one's.

But I must say I am pissed with some German Newspapers, the Frankfurter Rundschau and Die Tageszeitung, who are trying to blaim Bush and Global Warming for this. These are the only two I have heard of, but I suspect there are other european papers and news organizations doing the same.

Hurricanes are nasty things. Powerful and nasty. As a child I spent a night through a minor one In Corpus Christi.
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

How come the german papers didn't warn us about Hitler,they seem to warn us about everything else.
Paul
Banned

Post by Paul »

why would anybody want to warn u about hitler when theres lotsa $$$$$ to be made in a war??

In america they even made him a hero in Time magazine.........man of the year or something wasnt it??

.......pump him up..............and up, up..

have a war

......then make him the evil madman.

same as they did with bin laden and sadam
Where did all the "Good" people go?
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Guys,

Well, the latest word is that the entire city of New Orleans is being evacuated, because the entire city is likely to be flooded.

I can't emphazise enough the magnitude of this disaster.

Best,
David
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

From what I have been picking up on the internet, the Death Toll may be going into the hundreds as waters receed and recovery teams move in to start the clean up bodies are bound to be found.

Eighty percent of New Orleans is curently under water at this time. Twenty feet deep in places. This is a major mess. Had it not been for evacuation, this could have rivaled the Houston one around the turn of the century.

As for German newspapers not warning people about Hitler and his plans. Actually quite a few on both Left and Right did. Many of them actually quoting Hitler and doing some major digging into nazi files and sources to get the proverbial goods. What they wrote was often damning.

After the take over, Hitler had quite few of them murdered.
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

Michael N. Ryan wrote:From what I have been picking up on the internet, the Death Toll may be going into the hundreds as waters receed and recovery teams move in to start the clean up bodies are bound to be found.

Eighty percent of New Orleans is curently under water at this time. Twenty feet deep in places. This is a major mess. Had it not been for evacuation, this could have rivaled the Houston one around the turn of the century.

As for German newspapers not warning people about Hitler and his plans. Actually quite a few on both Left and Right did. Many of them actually quoting Hitler and doing some major digging into nazi files and sources to get the proverbial goods. What they wrote was often damning.

After the take over, Hitler had quite few of them murdered.
Michael, sorry, I have to correct you on the hurricane that hit in 1900. It was the Galveston, not Houston. But if you're also thinking about T.S. Allison back in 2001, that was plenty bad also. Oh, I also heard that the refugees are being shipped to the Astrodome here from the Superdome.

Thanks,
Chris
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Just watched Channel 4 news.

Ended on a report about the mayor of New Orleans predicting many hundreds if not into a thousand dead.

Hope everyone from the forum ok.

Regards, Jez.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

God Bless America.

God help Louisiana.

Sincerely meant.
Thanks. Dave.