War Movie Bloopers

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Patton is shown reading “The Tank in Battle, by Erwin Rommel”. There are two problems with this. In the first place, the name of Rommel’s book was not The Tank in Battle, it was The Infantry Attacks. There was a book by the name of The Tank in Battle, but it was written by General Heinz Guderian, not Rommel. In the second place, while Patton did read Rommel’s book, the scene shows him reading it in North Africa in 1943, while it was not even translated into English until 1944. Patton actually read it shortly before D-Day.
Hehe, can't you just picture how that came to pass?

EDITORIAL MEETING TRANSCRIPT

Producer: Oh yeah, then there's the reading scene.....let's see...reads "Infantry Attacks" by Rommel...why "Infantry Attacks?"

Script writer: uh....apparently that was what Rommel's book was actually called. "Infantry attacks". Even our historical accuracy consultant Okayed this, and you know what a troublemaker he is .

Producer: Shouldn't a Rommel book be more sort of, you know....in character? You know, something like "the strike of the fox"? or "Death in the desert"?

Script writer: Great idea sir. It's just, er, there weren't actually any books called something like that. Especially not written by Rommel.

Producer: Who cares? We don't want to get caught up on trivia here, what's important is we convey the character of Patton's deadly opponent, we need something to underline that.

Script writer John: Yes sir, excellent idea sir, it's just, you know, quite a lot of people notice these things.....

Producer: Notice schmotice, the war nerds will come and see the film anyway. And they won't be happy unless they can find a bunch of mistakes so they have something to bitch about to their wives, the bunch of myopic losers.

Script writer John: Yes sir, quite, but I think I have a suggestion here, sort of a compromise?

Producer: Well?

Script writer John: Another German general apparently wrote a book called "The Tank in Battle". Maybe we could use that?

Producer: That's the stuff! "The tank in battle", that's Rommel AND Patton in a nutshell! And historical too!

Script writer John: Well sir, the book was in fact written by General Gude....

Producer: Yeah, whatever - practically historical. It's an actual book by an actual German general from the actual war, right? Whadd'ya think Bob?

Assistant Producer Bob: I think that's a wonderful concession to historical accuracy sir, and, if I may say so, a brilliant creative decision.

Producer: Right, that's settled then. Whoa there John, you should take a break, you look like you're gonna to burst.

Script writer John: No no, I'm....fine....it's just something I swal...I mean probably just something I ate.
-----------------

Or did I dream it? :D

cheers
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Piet Duits wrote: I am reluctant to watch italian war movies. I know of a recent movie I saw in the videostore: El Alamein. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the 2 Euro's renting it?

Piet
seen and appreciated it: a very well done movie, centered on italian troops in the desert. uniforms are cared, history is respected

(Note for pedants: the armor support is kindly given by Marochine Army, so all the armor roles are covered by T54, etc. Anyway I got no idea where the hell the production could have found a working Crusader, I'm not so against the use of modern armor in war movies unless you do all in computer graphics...)
Dan Behr
Supporter

Bloopers

Post by Dan Behr »

I recently saw a horror movie set in WWI ... Brits using Lee Enfield No 4s fitted to accept the 18 inch sword bayonet !!

Watch teh firing by ranks in Zulu ... some Lee Enfield sthere too !!!
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

I am reluctant to watch italian war movies. I know of a recent movie I saw in the videostore: El Alamein. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the 2 Euro's renting it?
Well I only saw it dubbed- not particularly well- in English, I don't know how it is in another language. It's a modest budget, and there's one awful scene with these ridiculously fake little model tanks, but the rest of the movie uses real tanks, and it's a pretty decent film overall. The British tanks are not authentic, but the Italian ones are. Since it's an Italian movie, a lot of the supporting actors playing British and German soldiers are really Italians. Don't watch it for a detailed reenactment of El Alamein, it focuses on Italian soldiers with the overall battle as a backdrop, a few historical distortions but nothing too extreme. The actor who plays Rommel is quite good I thought (not physically, but in terms of conveying the character).
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Beppo we're not speaking about the same movie....in the movie I'm speaking about (of 2002) Rommel never appears, italian tanks don't appear, british are shadows in the night and germans appear for no more of a minute

I'm speaking about this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329042/
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

:oops:

Sorry about that.
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

don't worry I believe you've seen the movie of the late '60s with generals, etc...and a similiar title, no trouble.

The movie more recent is completely centered on the perspective of an italian infantry squad of X Corps...frontline, no supplies and never seen one general.. :wink:
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

In 'Pearl Harbour', the hero serves with the RAF in the Battle of Britain. No USAAF officers served in the Battle of Britain; the Americans were all volunteers.
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,
In 'Pearl Harbour', the hero serves with the RAF in the Battle of Britain. No USAAF officers served in the Battle of Britain; the Americans were all volunteers
Especially with Spitfire Mk V in 1940 ( one sees the 20mm guns).

So long
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket