Should Germany join the United States as a superpower?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Should Germany join the United States as a superpower?

Post by phylo_roadking »

There are many other ways Germany could contribute,without triggering any hysteria.
Spend to hire Icelandic mercenaries??? And sort two problems at once....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Germany is really big into embedded computing,phylo.They have monthly innovations and advances.Intelligence and sensors are becoming a larger part of weapons systems every year.
An unbreakable man
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Neither the Americans nor the Germans have sound track records as imperialists...
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

What the heck is a sound track record?Perhaps you can give us an example of good management.
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Germany is really big into embedded computing,phylo.They have monthly innovations and advances.Intelligence and sensors are becoming a larger part of weapons systems every year
O great - they'll KNOW in detail who's invading them...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Do you see a conventional invasion force upsetting the status quo in Europe,phylo?Who can gauge how far things go before the nuclear option gets considered?I suppose residing in the British Isles you still have the olde comfort of knowing that mainland Europe will always get it before you do,eh?
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I suppose residing in the British Isles you still have the olde comfort of knowing that mainland Europe will always get it before you do,eh
Why should it? If it was ME sitting in a bunker in Russia, and the decision had been taken to invade and occupy Western Europe and the fact that it would involve the use of nuclear weapons at SOME point - and I had to work out the easiest way to do it....first neutralise the US' point of entry into Europe, both politically as well as militarily. And press the button marked "United Kingdom".

iI doesn't matter what happens AFTER that FOR US - either conventionally or nuclear - but it'll convern the U.S. *IF* it then intervenes in Europe...for it will be fighting with one hand behind its back. Eric Blair saw that 60 years ago this year....

..."Airstrip One".
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.WWII didn't start like that.Conventional,or technical superiority might be the limited options.
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It doesn't have to be all or nothing
Wiping the UK off the map wouldn't be all or nothing. It would send a VERY interesting lesson to the leaders' of the EU...AND it would be cheap LOL
WWII didn't start like that
Actually it both was and wasn't; it WAS almost the full effort of the THEN-Wehrmacht against Poland, and by the end of Poland German war amteriel and logistics had been drined far further than expected...

BUT in the West it wasn't "All" because most nations started with their regular army cadres and their reservists being called up. Longterm mass conscription wasn't expected to muster the WWI-size armies until 1941.
august
Supporter

Post by august »

are you gentlemen saying that you really feel russia would invade the eu? i just don't see it. they would have to be m.a.d. as in mutually assured destruction.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Which is more mad? Considering the possibility....or actually threatening a neighbouring and independent country with nuclear attack if that country doesn't change it's defence policy?
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Boris might simply turn off the gas.
An unbreakable man
august
Supporter

Post by august »

it's not a threat. i don't understand your reasoning. and it's not defence one would be preoccupied with if they invaded the eu. turn of the gas = isolating russia from the rest of the world, everything. freezing all assets, stopping all trade, etc. "cut off their nose," so to speak. phylo, you have serious issues with america. what did we ever do to you? ;)
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Doesn't most of the EU depend on the flow of gas from the Soviet Union?August,you live in Florida?Just imagine how uncomfortable the interruption of the gas supply would be in January when temperatures are below zero.People are too soft for that now.Trade can wait,freezing is much more immediate.Boris doesn't need to get rough.
An unbreakable man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Re gas - I could be cold....or I could be dead. I'd have to vote for cold, just on a point of honour :D

Re America - as I said back up the thread - me personally, nothing. My country - quite a lot. FDR had a strange way of treating his allies, and Eisenhower inherited it. A series of administrations forced their various "democratic" allies into increasing reliance on the U.S. I don't happen to agree with that policy. I certainly don't like done to me by a country that declares loudly to absolutely anyone who'll listen at the same time that they're the Good Guys. Never been one for double standards.

Remember - it was an AMERICAN that wrote "My country - may she always be right; but My Country, right or wrong..."