Advanced Squad Leader boardgame

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tony
Supporter

Advanced Squad Leader boardgame

Post by Tony »

Does anyone here play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL)?
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I used to have the entire set of SL and ASL games back when Avalon Hill was still producting them. I haven't played around with them in ages though and currently only have the SL games - I sold the ASL set sometime ago. They were great fun but a lot of effort to play! I never did actually play ASL it was so complex, but I wish I had because I'm sure the experience was well worth the investment in time.
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

OH man Jason! I am 15 and for christmas a couple of years ago I was given the complete collection of ASL... I never really played it but my Faf and his friends are ASL fanatics and plays it when they can.. Ive played ASL once with my Dads friend and it was tough at first but after you read the rules a few times and play a scenario a couple of times it gets easier... did you have all of the HASL stuff?
- Josef Stalin
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

Faf = Dad
typo: I was given the complete set of SL
- Josef Stalin
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Squad Leader

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I used to play SL as often as possible. When stationed in Okinawa, we used to have 4-player melees on 6-8 boards, just for something to do! I've found that the "Steel Panther" series of CD-games is a lot more fun, though. I don't have to look up charts, and set up and take down are a WHOLE LOT quicker!!!
I will always have a soft spot for SL, though. My first wargame. Ah, the memories!!! Give me a minute, and I think I can name most of the German NCOs!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Dorosh
Supporter

Re: Squad Leader

Post by Michael Dorosh »

Tom wrote:I used to play SL as often as possible. When stationed in Okinawa, we used to have 4-player melees on 6-8 boards, just for something to do! I've found that the "Steel Panther" series of CD-games is a lot more fun, though. I don't have to look up charts, and set up and take down are a WHOLE LOT quicker!!!
I will always have a soft spot for SL, though. My first wargame. Ah, the memories!!! Give me a minute, and I think I can name most of the German NCOs!
Check out CMBB at http://www.battlefront.com - much better than Steel Panthers; being simultaneous play, there are no goofy tactics allowed like drawing fire with softskin trucks and then moving your tanks in harm's way knowing the enemy has fired all his reaction fire off, etc.

You can download the demo for free.
Vor
Contributor

ASL

Post by Vor »

I was a big SL/COI fanatic, but ASL was a big disappointment to me. Being that they phased out SL to push the ASL system (good luck, Curt), if I were young & starting out, I would get involved with "Retro", the published EASY mod to ASL. You can find more discussion of Retro on the Consimworld page. I highly suggest all of you with ASL collecting dust in under the bed to invest $9 in the Retro rulebook. You won't be sorry, and that's the only extra cash you need to shell out (if you already have ASL) & come components.
karltrowitz
Supporter

ASL

Post by karltrowitz »

My opinion of ASL as a wargame hasn't changed for 10 years. It is THE best wargame I have ever played.For those who haven't tried it yet,yes the rules come in a thick binder but after a few hours you soon get to grips with the basics and it's great fun.
Wurger
Contributor

SL, ASL, and others

Post by Wurger »

Still play SL and ASL whenever I can find time and opponents. I'm also a big fan of Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz.

For those of you who are interested, Hasbro has now licensed out ASL to another company - Multiman Publishing - which is putting out a second edition of the game along with new modules. Go to http://www.advancedsquadleader.com.