D=Day

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Ian Earl
Contributor

D=Day

Post by Ian Earl »

Will anyone be attending the 60th D-Day ceremonies?
Somewhere far far away doing secret things to nasty people in hot climates. Sssshhhh dont tell the wife, she thinks I play a piano in a whore house!
Jason Petho
Supporter

Post by Jason Petho »

I'll be there!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

im pretty sure i wont be there, but ill definatly tell my friends in school something about the D-Day on that day :D

PS:do you really live here?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
LuZifer Morningstar

Post by LuZifer Morningstar »

Some friends of mine will be there, although germans are not so welcome there, I'm told. Is that true? I'd really like to know, as I would like to go there next year...
---wenn er wirklich in Westfalen wohnt, hat er entweder keine Ahnung, wie mans schreibt, oder das mit dem West-Phallus (no offense meant by that...) :D ist ein gutes Wortspiel.
Ian Earl
Contributor

Post by Ian Earl »

DeBaer wrote:im pretty sure i wont be there, but ill definatly tell my friends in school something about the D-Day on that day :D

PS:do you really live here?
Hi Debaer

Yes i do live here at the moment as i am a British soldier based here.

I will be going to Normandy as part of the British contingent there.
Somewhere far far away doing secret things to nasty people in hot climates. Sssshhhh dont tell the wife, she thinks I play a piano in a whore house!
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

oh ok i see.
i hope you enjoy your stay here.
if germans werent welcome there that would be a really large step back, and i would also almost feel offended.... is it a rumor, a public underlying opinion, or did any of the organizers/promoters say so?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Ian Earl
Contributor

Post by Ian Earl »

I think organised military events by Germans might be frowned on, however I know Oberst Hans von Luck, late of the 21st Pzr Div and nemisis of the British attack on Caen, used to go quite often.

As an individual going i am sure you would be made most welcome. I can not speak for all nations but as a British soldier i would really be pleased to see some Germans there.
LuZifer Morningstar

Post by LuZifer Morningstar »

Good news, count me in for next year!
Fish
Contributor

D-DAY

Post by Fish »

I plan on departing around 1 June for my fourth strait D Day tour. I am looking forward to this but the off years are a bit better.
This year all money makers will be out trying to make a buck of the whole thing.
As far as the comment about the Germans not being welcome thats rubbish I will be with some US and German Paras this year and in the past have been there when Germans were there. The problem is the tag thats been placed on them and that they cannot go becasue of the big Allied victory. Its a celebtration of all those fighting men who fought and died in 1944. My best year was with Hans Siegel of 12th SS, he use to go and was well received by alot of Canandian vets who he shot the @#% out of in June 44. Same with Alex Uhlig who captured a battalion of US 90th Inf Div. The best moment I had was with some 82nd Abn guys 2 years ago when this big mouth US Para who now lives in Ste Marie Eglise welcomed a German Vet who he almost killed as the German guy was riding his bike out of town that first night. Those 2 were the best of friends and had a few laughs 50+ years later.
Around Pegasus Bridge I know Col Luck and others were welcomed each year when they were alive.
I say everyone is welcome to attend and remember except the money grubbers.

Hope to see you guys there
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany