Hungary's War Aims

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Freiritter
Associate

Hungary's War Aims

Post by Freiritter »

If I'm not mistaken, there was animosity between both the Romanians and Hungarians from the pre-war political strife. Yet, both Hungary and Romania sent troops to fight in the Soviet Union. But, why did Hungary fight in WWII? Was it mainly to counter the potential Romanian aim of territorial recovery through assistance on the Eastern Front? Or was it an anti-Communist crusade?
Shadow
Patron

Re: Hungary's War Aims

Post by Shadow »

Freiritter wrote:If I'm not mistaken, there was animosity between both the Romanians and Hungarians from the pre-war political strife. Yet, both Hungary and Romania sent troops to fight in the Soviet Union.
Hello Freiritter -

Just off the top of my head, and I know Victor and others will get back to you with much fuller explanations, there was, indeed, bad blood between the two.
As I remember, that's the reason the German High Command had to insert the Italian 8th Army between them as the advanced on Stalingrad.....to keep them from fighting each other.

Best regards -
Signed: "The Shadow"
Contributor

no clue

Post by 4444 »

What did Hungary go to war for? Good question. Unlike Romania, Hungary did not have any territorial grievances against the USSR...

I think it was a bit of the vicious circle. If we agree that joining the Axis was somehow explicable (though Teleki’s fate demonstrates it was not explicable to everyone), than perhaps it is enough to conclude that it was just difficult to get out of the boat. During the first campaign (1941) the Hungarians volunteered because the military thought it would be a safe walk, but as soon as they realised it would be not, they withdrew most of the troops. During the second campaign (1942-43) the Nazis made the Hungarians go. During the third campaign (1944) it was about defending your country already...

On the other hand, Bulgaria’s history demonstrates that a „vicious circle” theory is not enough. The Bulgarians did manage to stay out. They have joined the Axis against their Balkan neighbours, but they were smart enough to excuse themselves from the anti-Soviet crusade.
laszlo.nemedi
Supporter

Post by laszlo.nemedi »

War against SU, reasons:

Hungarian leaders had the both intention: war against communism, and to politically secure the North Transylvanian area. I think the safe walk was not a reason as Hungary had not any area claim against SU...
The Chief
Supporter

Hungary According to Osprey

Post by The Chief »

According to my readings, Hungary joined the "Crusade in The East," mostly because they felt obliged to. Germany had assisted Hungary in regaining a lot of teritory which was lost in the Treaty or Tirannon (sp?) of 1920. This brought Horthy further into the Axis. Horthy, not wanting to lose the gains that he had already made, agreed to assist, although they kept a healthy amount of their army at home to guard against any Romanian agression into Transylvania.
Then there was a bombing raid on Hungarian territorry. Where these bombers came from is still in dispute, they have been claimed to be either Soviet or German...but heck, they could have been Romanian.

-Rick
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

Hungary perhaps also joined in because of want of revenge against the communists, since the Hungarian communist Bela Kun supported by USSR cause chaos and territorial losses to Hungary in severl months of chaotic communist rule in 1919 - 1920.

helmut
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

I dont know if its even a joke, it made the rounds in Italian diplomatic circles in Budapest during the war, and eventually reached count Ciano (Italian foreign minister), who recorded it in his diaries.
----
The Hungarian Ambassador at Washington goes to the Department of State to present the declaration of war. He is received by a minor official who doesn't know the European affairs very well and starts to ask questions.

- Hungary - is your country a republic?
- No, we're a kingdom.
- Who is your king?
- We don't have a king, we have an admiral.
- An admiral? How large is your fleet?
- We don't have a fleet, we're an inland country.

The American, by now thoroughly confused, changes the subject.

- You're declaring war on the United States. What claims do you have against us?
- We have no claims against the United States.
- You're in war against the Soviet Union. What claims do you have against them?
- We have no claims against the Soviet Union.
- Do you have claims against anybody?
- Yes, against Rumania.
- Are you gong to declare war against Rumania, then?
- No, the Rumanians are our allies.

:shock: :D
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Helmut Von Moltke

LOL. :D But, why did Hungary declare war on US? Hungary in WWII most probably never had a military action with the US. In war time, those who declare war and don't fight against the enemy is kinda strange.
Victor Nitu
Supporter

Post by Victor Nitu »

All Axis allies were required from Berlin to declare war on the US in December 1941. And Hungary did fight against American forces, in the same way as Romania and Bulgaria: air war.
Helmut Von Moltke

And Hungary did fight against American forces, in the same way as Romania and Bulgaria: air war.
and maybe Hungarian Waffen SS? Porbably most of them, like the SS Division 'Hundayi", fought on Eastern front, but maybe some wounded ones in hospitals in the West fought against US troops, but this is just a guess, not sure. just a suggestion

kevin
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

Hunyadi's pioner battalion was encircled in Passau,but broke out.
Another compani of that unit stopped an US sherman attack in Austria.
Unknown hungarian ss unit (Hunyadi or Hungaria) kept the Harburg-forest near Hamburg.(UK =7.th armor homepage).
Artillery battalion fought to last man at Nürnberg.
Division Szt.Lászlo fought to the warend in Karinthia.
Last edited by Pisti3 on Fri May 26, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pisti3,

It is well known that numbers of Hungarians were captured by the Western Allies in Germany.

However, it is less clear that any fought against them.

Have you any specific details about the clash with US Shermans in Austria or the artillery battalion fighting to the last man at Nurnberg?

Cheers,

Sid.
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

Hi Sid!

Yes I have,but i beg you some day patience,then I write it here.

Best regards.
Last edited by Pisti3 on Mon May 29, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

US troops killing POWs ? Nothing new on Western Front ... :roll:

Jan-Hendrik
Glyndower

Post by Glyndower »

After WW1 Hungary found herself hemmed in by hostile states who had territory inhabited by large numbers of Hungarians. These states were worried that Hungary would try to reclaim the lost lands and formed anti Hungarian alliances.

In 1920 an alliance was signed between Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia in 1921 an alliance was signed between Czechoslovakia and Rumania and later in the year between Yugoslavia and Rumania.

At first Hungary seems to have tried to forge a close alliance with Mussolini but in 1933 the Hungarian Prime Miniser had a meeting with Hitler who probably made the Hungarians promises. In 1934 a trade agreement was signed with Germany which brought about dependence on Germany. In Nov. 1937 Hungary told Germany it had no opposition to union with Austria and and agreed to collaborate over Czechoslovakia. In 1939 the Arrow Cross Fascist party who had support from Germany came second in Hungarian elections.

By Nov. 1940 when Hungary joined the Tripartite Pact it had by becoming a German vassel been rewarded with the Hungarian part of Slovakia though not with all of Ruthenia, half of Transylvania from Rumania and the alliance encircling her was broken. Later Hungary recieved the part of Yugoslavia she claimed.

To have stood aside from the Nazi Soviet war would clearly have been very difficult. It seems the award by Hitler of the part of Ruthenia not given to Hungary in 1939 to Slovakia as a reward for joining the assault on the USSR caused the Hungarian leadership to think of what prizes they could gain by joining in.

For anyone wanting to understand inter war Eastern Europe I would reccomend the books by Anita J Prazmowska