Hungary's War Aims

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

Jan-Hendrik wrote:US troops killing POWs ? Nothing new on Western Front ... :roll: Jan-Hendrik
Sir:

If you do not have any FACTUAL information regarding Hungarian volunteers in German service, keep your comments to yourself.

George Lepre
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

Hi again.

So I am trying separete the battles against western allies.

25. Grenadier division der SS Hunyadi

30.april pioneer battalion fastened in Passau pocket,broke out successful on the 2.maj at Oberhausen

30.april a company fastened in Berlin pocket under commandment of the Nordland,totally destroyed at the brakeout attempt at Chausse Allé.(against russian prob.)

A battlegrup in Over-Austria stopped a US attack at Timelkam destroyed 5 Sherman.

26. Grenadier division der SS Hungaria

a battlegreoup at Amstetten in Austria blocked the motorway

3 maj a battlegroup in action near river Inn against an US tankattack between Ried and St.Martin.

25-28.april an artillery unit was in action southwest of Regensburg.

Notice the div.had lock of equipment so when they found a firemandepot they put on all they stuff.Probably this is a clearing for heavy fighting firemans at Hamburg.Held the Harburg forest for 4 day against 7.thAR http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paters ... es1945.htm

1.Hungarian SS skibattalion

9.febr. at river Bober
11.febr. along river Queis to Lorenzdorf
Battle at Leoben under commandment of the Wiking
retreat to Bruck an den Mur

Ney SS regiment

took part of some counterattacks at these areas
Birkfeld,Pöllau, Lafnitz valley,

That and very shortly, best reagards.

Do anybody has photos about the Hunyadi or Hungaria?Image
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pisti3,

Excellent reply with lots of hard facts to check out.

The next question is whether the Americans, British or Russians noted any of these actions or Hungarian participation in them?

Cheers,

Sid.
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

Hi

1 note from the Brits is given above.I keep an eye on this topic and write all so soon as i find something.Are you interest in the east fights too?
Hungary Russia and even US had the favour of the fogging and forgetting,so the memos are rare.

Cheers Image
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

thanks for the pic of the Hungarian SS volunteer with the 'H' collar patch, it's rare! :up:
George Lepre

Post by George Lepre »

Hi Pisti -

I owned that Soldbuch up until about two years ago. I then sold it to a Hungarian-American who was very glad to obtain it.

That Soldbuch was one of about 200 or so that were found inside an old ammunition box in an Austrian barn in the late 1980s. All of the men were from the same battalion of the Hunyadi Division. Obviously, the person who found the box uncovered at least part of the battalion's Schreibstube.

I remember that the late German militaria dealer Nico von Lindenau brought some of the books to a MAX Show in Baltimore. Only one or (at most) two of the books contained photographs in which the soldiers were wearing the "H" tab. In the other books, the soldiers wore blank tabs or SS runes. There were supposedly officer books in the lot too but I have never seen them.

Best regards,

George
hardi

Post by hardi »

hi

The Hungarian W-SS troops were formed to fight exlusively against the Red Army:
Die freiwillige Meldung verpflichtet nur zum Dienst in dieser Division. Da die Division prinzipiell nur zur Verteidigung des ungarischen Vaterlandes eingesetzt wird, sollen alle Kommandeure ihren Einfluß dahin geltend machen, möglichst zahlreiche Meldungen für diese Division zu erhalten.

Kommando des Kgl. Ung. Honv. VIII. Armee-Korps Stabsquartier, am 10. November 1944 - Korpsbefehl Nr. 12.
Combat against other allies was a mere 'accident' during the retreat to West and Central Austria.
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

But the Hamburg battle Mr.Hardy?
hardi

Hamburg?

Post by hardi »

Please go into details Pisti, i do not know any battle with the US Army at Hamburg.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Hardi,

The purported clash at Hamburg is given above as being with the British, not Americans.

Cheers,

Sid.
hardi

Post by hardi »

hi,

okay i missed that sorry :)
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

HI!

As much I know 300 soldbuchs were found.So i have detailed stories from some clashes,it's a book from survivers,officers and grenadiers,but unfortunatly i go 2 weeks holyday.Image
Hungarians in the bond's of the Waffen SS.Only facts ,no fanatism,cool book.Even when and where the soldbuchs were taken and so all. :up:
DenesBernad

Photo

Post by DenesBernad »

Pisti, how can I receive a printable copy of that photo that I could include in a book currently under work?

Köszönettel,
Dénes
Pisti3

Post by Pisti3 »

Hi Dénes I can make a photo in high res. or if you wish I can send the book,but now I am 10 days off.

Greetings
DenesBernad

SS photo

Post by DenesBernad »

Szervusz Pisti,

A high-resolution scan (with the 'descreen', or 'moire' feature turned on), including the source of photo, would be enough.
Is the name and rank of the SS soldier known?

Dénes
E-mail: denesbernadATsympatico.ca [Replace AT with @]
Dénes