11. SS-Pz.Gren.Erz. u Ausb.batallion

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Hi Reg.,

I think I saw your website about Norge (23) and "Danmark".
I must say an outstanding piece of work!

Soon I hope to have some more info about this unit which had a lot of Dutch volunteers in it.
In Nordland for instance served a lot of Dutch volunteers too.

Regards from an fellow Oberleutnant d. R.
:wink:

Ritter
Regiment Norge
Supporter

SS-Pz.Gren.A.u.E.Btl. 11 Nordland

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi Ritter!

Thanks, its not my website.

I have also in my files names of both KIA/MIA and wounded deutch soldiers to both Rgt. Norge/Danmark, Aufkl.Abt. 11, Pi.Btl. 11, Pz.Abt. 11. It seems that the deutch volunteers was not entire enlisted into the Brig. Nederland.

Do you know it the deutch soldiers was located to a special company within the AuE.Btl. 11 and later Kgr. Schweitzer?

On the other hand there was four norwegian serving in the Brig. Nederland, two officers and to enlisteed, one officer and one enlisted reported as MIAs.

Regards
Regiment Norge
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi!

In Graz in September 1944 there was one officer with tha name Tom Ammerlaan (SS-Ostuf.). He is probably a deutch volunteer. Is he known to anyone, and is there more informations on him available?

Have a letter from him posted to a norwegian girl on 20.9.44.

Regards
Regiment Norge
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Hi Reg,

I will check on this officer Ammerlaan.
I am very interested in the names of the Dutch volunteers KIA/MIA which you have in your files.

Dutch volunteers served all through the Waffen SS.
In Wiking, Nordland, Nederland/Seffardt/de Ruyter but also in LSSAH and Das Reich.

Steiner
Yvo

Post by Yvo »

All,

1. Concerning Anthonius Ammerlaan. A brief resume:
Born 03.07.1910 Poerwakarta/ Dutch East Indies. He became second lieutenant of the KNIL (Royal Dutch Indies Army) on 01.05.1929. Based on this he was granted (eingestuft) the rank of Legion-Untersturmführer a.K. on 01.11.1942 (he previously served with the NSKK as an Obertruppführer). He never saw action up till the 10.03.1944 when he was transferred to the Sonderkommando Dirlewanger. Already on the first of June that same year he was back in Graz with the SS-Pz.Gr. A.u.E. Btl. 11. On 01.10.1944, however, he was discharged from the Waffen-SS. After this date I have lost track of him.

I am very much interested in this letter which he wrote on 20.09.1944, especially against the background of his earlier (presumable) misbehaviour.

2. The SS-Pz.Gr. A.u.E. Btl. 11 is so often mistaken for being the AuE. unit of the “Nordland”. This misconception rears its head again in this thread. Prior to the SS-Pz.Gr. A.u.E. Btl. 11, there was the Ersatz Btl. der Legionen in Graz. And this is what it remained till the end of the war only with a change of designation (probably a result of the “Nordland” plans of the summer of 1943). If one really wants to label this unit then one should say that it was the AuE for larger parts of the III.(germ.) SS-Pz.Korps and not just for the “Nordland”.

Regards,

Yvo Janssens
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Ritter wrote:Michi,
The reason why Roller took over command was the fact that Schweitzer got badly wounded (neck). Schweitzer obtained the Knights Cross.
Ritter
Sorry for my late reply, but it wasn't my question why Roller,
but why Roller (SS-Ustuf), ALTHOUGH SS-Ostuf Pongraz AND two other officers (SS-Ostuf's) were available.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Ritter
Supporter

Post by Ritter »

Yes Michi remarkable...
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Yvo wrote:All,

2. The SS-Pz.Gr. A.u.E. Btl. 11 is so often mistaken for being the AuE. unit of the “Nordland”. This misconception rears its head again in this thread. Prior to the SS-Pz.Gr. A.u.E. Btl. 11, there was the Ersatz Btl. der Legionen in Graz. And this is what it remained till the end of the war only with a change of designation (probably a result of the “Nordland” plans of the summer of 1943). If one really wants to label this unit then one should say that it was the AuE for larger parts of the III.(germ.) SS-Pz.Korps and not just for the “Nordland”.

Regards,

Yvo Janssens
Yvo,

According to the Verzeichnis der zuständigen Ersatztruppenteile der Waffen-SS (Stand 1.8.44), the SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Abt. 11 was the Ersatztruppenteil for the 11. SS-Freiw. Pz.Gren.Div. "Nordland" and the SS-Freiw. Pz.Gren.Brig. "Nederland" (both without Spezialisten).
For the III. (Germ.) SS-Panzerkorps, the Ersatztruppenteil was the SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Abt. 5 (Ellwangen/Jagst)

I hope to find more information on this subject in the near future, as this Verzeichnis I mentioned earlier is only about the Ersatztruppenteile. There were some units especially for the Ausbildung. Such as the SS-Nachrichten-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 1 bis 5 to name an example.

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Yvo

Post by Yvo »

Hello Piet,

Thanks for your reply! This supports my statement grosso modo concerning the AuE. 11.
However. the AuE. 5 was a dedicated Wiking AuE. I guess that the fact that the AuE 5 is connected with the III. (Germ.) SS-Panzerkorps, dates back on the summer '43 plans in which the 5th. was to become a part of the III.

To verify this I will ask a former (German) Ausbilder in Ellwangen this weekend.

For now I reckon it to be a gap between the actual reality (de facto) and the paper reality (de jure).

I will get back to on this. Meanwhile I would like to know your point of view on my vision.

Regards, Yvo.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Yvo,

SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 5 was the Ersatztruppenteil for other units as well.
According to the already quoted Verzeichniss, the other units which had Nr. 5 as their Ersatztruppenteil were:

Gen.Kdo. III. (Germ.) SS-Panz.Korps
Gen.Kdo. XI. SS-A.K. (vorläufig)
Gen.Kdo. XII. SS-A.K. (vorläufig)
Gen.Kdo. XIII. SS-A.K. (vorläufig)
5. SS-Panz.Div. "Wiking"
SS-Freiw.-Sturmbrigade "Langemarck"

Piet

PS: interesting! Could you please ask him if he still remembers how many Kompanien his unit had?
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Yvo

Post by Yvo »

Piet,

I most certainly will!

Yvo.
Sverri
Supporter

Great site

Post by Sverri »

This is a great site, with alot of pictures:
http://home19.inet.tele.dk/jpb/index.htm

Maybe this is the one you saw
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi folks!

Hve been searching through the "Vermissten-Bild-List" (VBL) from the german red cross in Munich and tehre was indeed a lot of deutch volunteers listed here.

Can anyone tell me if the deutch was kept together within one or two Ausbildungs-Kompanien" or not?

If so, who was the Kp.fhr of this company?

In the Kp. John (Kgr. Schweitzer) there was an Oscha. LANG acting Zug.fhr wo was KIA in April near Rechnitz . any idea of whom that might be?

Regards
Regiment Norge
metar

Re: 11. SS-Pz.Gren.Erz. u Ausb.batallion

Post by metar »

Bringing up an old topic:

Standort Sennheim
Cernay (deutsch Sennheim) ist eine Stadt in der französischen Region Elsass im Département Haut-Rhin.
Fronttruppenteile

Ersatztruppenteile
28. Schiffs-Stamm-Abteilung
SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Ersatz- u. Ausbildungs-Bataillon 11

Kommandobehörden / Dienststellen

Einrichtungen
SS-Ausbildungs-Lager Sennheim
Außenkommando KL Natzweiler

Is this correct about SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Ersatz- u. Ausbildungs-Bataillon 11?

With regard,
Leen