Non-Germans in the Technische Nothilfe

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

HPT

Non-Germans in the Technische Nothilfe

Post by HPT »

I am working on the TN and am anxious to learn more of the non-Germans who served in it.

On the one hand, elements of the German TN served at the front, serving both with the Wehrmacht (Heer and Luftwaffe) and Orpo. But I am seeking confirmation on local TN organisations raised outside Germany.

So far I have found proof of "local" TN organisations in Holland and Norway - but nothing on Flanders and Denmark!

War-time Allied intelligence referred to "Secours Technique" in France, but none of the detailed studies of French collaboration confirm this, which is - after all - a general term for what one can find lots of hits on the Internet through Google, etc. German TN men certainly served in France, but were there any Frenchmen in the TN?

Allied Intelligence also referred to local TN organisations in the occupied Eastern Territories and the Baltic States. I've found references to TN elements in Latvia and Estonia (nothing for Lithuania), but no details as to organisation, ranks, uniforms, etc.

Was there a SHAEF/MIRS "Handbook" on the TN I wonder, which could caste light on this? Perhaps not, given coverage of the subject in the "German Police" Handbook (facsimile now available thanks to Axis Europa).

A complete list of all countries a) where German TN elements served and b) having "local" TN elements with locally recruited me would be most welcome!
Edwin Meinsma

Post by Edwin Meinsma »

Some info about the TN in the Netherlands.

"Einsatz Abteilung Niederlande"

Established: 22-07-1941, The Hague

Commander(s): Major Dr. Fr. Beck Hauptbereitschaftsführer

Uniform: white with a TN emblem, officers : darkblue, white collar
from 1943 feldgrau, black collar, stahlhelm and belt. On the left sleeve an white TN emblem.

Armament: Russian rifles and French MG's.

Numbers: in 1942 about 50 local groups were reported, in total 4.500 men.
Combat history: July 1944 2 companies left for Czechoslovakia. Here they were armed with K98, MG34 and equipped with 14 trucks. September 1944 by train to Danzig then by boat to Riga. In Latvia the TN fought against partizans near Libau and dug the 'Kriemhildestellungen'. After this the TN was send to the frontlines in the Kurland.

(Source: Vincx and Schotanius, Nederlandse vrijwilligers in Europese krijgsdienst 1940-1945.)

Regards,
Edwin Meinsma