Italian Divisions (44-45)

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Martin Schenkel
Supporter

Italian Divisions (44-45)

Post by Martin Schenkel »

I'm seeking some information regarding Italian formations serving in Italy after the Italian surrender. According to Nafziger, 4 Italian divisions were raised during 1944 for service with the Axis in Italy. How were these divisions equiped (German or Italian equipment)? How well did they fight?

Also, six Italian 'Groups' fought alongside the Allies, and I'm seeking similar information for these.

Are there any websites with some information regarding these formations?
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence" - Sun Tzu
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I believe they were equiped with a mix of both German and Italian equipment, although it would seem to make sense to me that they were mainly equiped with Italian equipment.

As for their combat record I don't believe they were considered to be the greatest, although at least one of the units was involved in some pretty heavy combat. I will search my archives right now and pull out the reference I have to this.

In the meantime, in case you don't have access to it, here are the general OoBs of these four main Italian post-43 RSI units:

1st (later 4th) Apini Division "Monterosa" (Pink Mountain)

Divisional Headquarters
23rd Recce Bn "Fimme Rosse" (red flames)
1st Alpini Regiment "Monterosa"
Alpini Bn "Aosta" (Name of a town, like the other battalions)
Alpini Bn "Intra"
Alpini Bn "Bassano"
Pack-mules supply column
101st AT coy.
2nd Alpini Regiment "Monterosa"
Alpini Bn "Brescia"
Alpini Bn "Morbegno"
Alpini Bn "Tirano"
Pack-mules supply column
102ndt AT coy.
101st Replacements Bn "Ivrea"
1st Alpini Artillery Rgt. "Monterosa"
1st Alpini Arty Bn "Aosta"
2nd Alpini Arty Bn "Bergamo"
3rd Alpini Arty Bn "Verona" (later "Vicenza")
4th Alpini Arty Bn "Mantova"
1st Lines-of-Comunication Engineers Bn
1st Mountain Assault Engineers Bn
1st Transport Bn
1st Medical coy
101st Medical coy
1st Medical transport section
1st Field Butchery coy
1st Field Bakery coy
1st Logistic coy
1st Veterinary coy
1st MP section

2nd Infantry Division "Littorio"

Divisional headquarters
2nd Recce Bn
2nd Heavy AT coy
3rd Infantry Regiment "Littorio"
1st Infantry Bn
2nd Infantry Bn
3rd Infantry Bn
103rd AT coy
4th Alpini Regiment "Littorio"
1st Alpini Bn
2nd Alpini Bn
3rd Alpini Bn "Edolo"
Pack-mules supply column
104th AT coy
102nd Replacements Bn "Littorio"
2nd Artillery Regiment "Littorio"
1st Arty Bn
2nd Arty Bn
3rd Arty Bn
4th Arty Bn
2nd Lines-of-Comunication Engineers Bn
2nd Mountain Assault Engineers Bn
2nd Transport Bn
2nd Medical coy
201st Medical coy
2nd Medical transport section
2nd Field Butchery coy
2nd Field Bakery coy
2nd Logistic coy
2nd Veterinary coy
2nd MP section

The "Littorio" Division was sometimes called a "Grenadier" division. This was mainly a morale-bolstering effort, in imitation of the German tendancy to give units the title of Grenadier. The Littorio Division was not a Grenadier unit, as in the Italian Army the Grenadiers were, and still are, the Guard units, formed from select (and usually very tall) soldiers. Only one such unit - a single independent Grenadier battalion - was part of the RSI Army (see below).

3rd Naval Infantry Division "San Marco" (the Saint-patron of Venice)

Divisional Headquarters
3rd Rece Bn (the former 2nd Bn of the 10th Arditi Regiment)
5th Naval Infantry Regiment "San Marco"
1st Naval Infantry Bn
2nd Naval Infantry Bn
3rd Naval Infantry Bn
6th Naval Infantry Regiment "San Marco"
1st Naval Infantry Bn
2nd Naval Infantry Bn
3rd Naval Infantry Bn
3 x AT coys
53rd Replacements Bn.
3rd Artillery Regiment "San Marco"
1st Arty Bn
2nd Arty Bn
3rd Arty Bn
4th Arty Bn
3rd Lines-of-Comunication Engineers Bn
3rd Mountain Assault Engineers Bn
3rd Transport Bn
3rd Medical coy
301st Medical coy
3rd Medical transport section
3rd Field Butchery coy
3rd Field Bakery coy
3rd Logistic coy
3rd Veterinary coy
3rd MP section

This Division was part of the Army, and NOT of the Navy as it is often incorrectly reported.

4th (later 1st) Bersaglieri Division "Italia"

Divisional Headquarters
2nd Recce Bn.
7th Bersaglieri Regiment "Italia"
1st Bersaglieri Bn
2nd Bersaglieri Bn
3rd Bersaglieri Bn
107th AT coy
8th Cacciatori degli Appenninini ("Appennines Hunters") Regiment "Italia"
1st Cacciatori Bn
2nd Cacciatori Bn
3rd Cacciatori Bn
108th AT coy
4th Recce Bn
4th haevy AT coy
104th Replacements Bn "Italia"
4th Artillery Regiment "Italia"
1st Arty Bn
2nd Arty Bn
3rd Arty Bn
4th Arty Bn
4th Lines-of-Comunication Engineers Bn
4th Mountain Assault Engineers Bn
4th Transport Bn
4th Medical coy
401st Medical coy
4th Medical transport section
4th Field Butchery coy
4th Field Bakery coy
4th Logistic coy
4th Veterinary coy
4th MP section
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

the italian army was practically crushed by germans in septmeber-october 1943 apart forces deployed in southern italy, sardinia and corsica which continued to serve under royal govenrment. The rebuilding of armies during civil war was quite chaotical.

Apart some unit (usually battalion sized) which joined directly germans and some volunteer which made the same, the building of RSI army had to be based on the construction of some division in Germany. Only in spring 1944 was possible to send 45000 draftees in germany which joined other 15000 personnel coming from german prisony fields to form the four divisions Jason named. "Monterosa" and "San Marco"came back in italy in late summer 1944 and were employed against partisans apart some battle group which was employed against US. In decmeber 1944 the "Monterosa" gave the bulk of the forces employed in Operation winter storm, the late axis counter attack in italy. Some battalion fought on the alpine front too. "Italia" and "Littorio" arrived in winter 1945 and saw really few action. Substantially no one RSI division ever fought as a whole
RSI division were a sort of mix of italian and german. The OOB was similiar to italian 1940 division but reinforced. Uniforms were italian, weaponry was largely italian, apart some element as MGs or PAKs which were german

The royal government had similar troubles with US/UK. The forces disposable at the end of 1943 were more or less ten divisions but italians sweared a lot to employ them on battlefield. An italian brigade was first employed in december 1943 and enlarged in successive times until a force of about 25000 was fighting in summer 1944 indicated as CIL (Italian Liberation Corps). All those units were entirely equipped with italian material. With CIL and other italian personnel was decided to form six divisions (which had to be known as battle groups for political reasons): "Friuli", "Cremona", "Folgore", "Mantova", "Legnano" and "Piceno". Those units were totally british equipped, uniform and weaponry. The structure was:
2 infantry regiments on 3 battalions
1 artillery regiment on 4 field battalions, 1 AT and 1 AA
1 engineer battalion
The "Piceno" operated as training center for the others. "Friuli", "Cremona", "Folgore" were given to 8th army in winter 1945, "Legnano" and "Mantova" to 5th army. All but "Mantova" (which was kept as reserve) performed well in spring 1945 offensive

at your dispo

Lupo
Martin Schenkel
Supporter

Post by Martin Schenkel »

Thankyou very much Jason and Lupo. This information is very helpful.

Lupo, would you happen to have any information about the CIL before it was broken up into the 6 groups? I am especially looking for its composition, and any important dates.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence" - Sun Tzu
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

sincerly, being the CIL the result of progressive enlargement, I must control my sources for dates of joining of every unit...anyway the italian contingent became officially CIL at April 18th, 1944 and was retired by front August 31st, 1944.

To give an idea, the OOB of CIL at his birth was (april 1944) was:

68th Infantry Regiment
4th Bersaglieri Regiment
Alpini Battalion "Piemonte"
Marine Battalion "Bafile"
185th Para Battalion
11th Artillery Regiment

While the last OOB of CIL in august 1944 was:

1st CIL Brigade
3rd Alpini Regiment
4th Bersaglieri Regiment
185th Para Battalion
4th Pack Artillery Battalion

2nd CIL Brigade
68th Infantry Regiment
"San Marco" Marine Regiment
9th Commando Battalion
5th Pack Artillery Battalion

"Nembo" Para Division
183th Para Regiment
184th Para Regiment
184th Para Assault Battalion
184th Artillery Regiment

11th Motorized Artllery Regiment (on five battalions)

51th Engineer Battalion

Infantry Regiments were on two battalions

at your dispo

Lupo
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

From what I've found, the Italians used mostly Italian equiptment, which varied in age. Some smaller formations still used the old Adrian helmets, while the elite units such as the Bersaglieri (light infantry), Alpini (mountain soldiers), and X-Mas (former San Marco Marines) had top of the line equiptment. Most of the old equiptment was replaced with more modern paratrooper clothing and helmets. I found most of my information in Osprey Men-at-arms 353 The Italian Army 1940-45 (3) Italy 1943-45, so it has the basics, but not everything. Hope this helped
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

mmmm....

Post by Lupo Solitario »

....in the named text, the units told "employing Adrian helmets" are pre-september 1943 territorial militia units but, in general terms, in chaotic conditions of italian civil war any equipement was good to be employed.
Anyway, the original question concerned the divisions raised by fascist gov in the north and the "combat groups" formed by royal gov in south.
Those untis were formed with, respectively, german and britsh assistance and employed related materials.
Unfortunately, the named Osprey book is the worst of the series dedicated to italians in WWII. Time ago, I published on comandosupremo.com a list of mistakes and absences included in it and I'm sure was not complete....

at your dispo

Lupo