Arab Volunteers

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

FK

Arab Volunteers

Post by FK »

Does anybody have information about the Arab volunteers in the German Armed Forces? I have been led to believe they were quite a few Palestinians etc. etc...

Any info appreciated..
Thank you
Fritz[/quote]
gubra

Post by gubra »

Hi Fritz

Some time ago I saw a TV-program called "the third reich in colors". Among many other scenes there is one from the DAK showing arab volunteers been sworn into the forces. In the TV-program it's assumed that they were intended to sabotaging the allies. However, nothing much came out of it.

Best regards

Gubra
Martin Schenkel
Supporter

Post by Martin Schenkel »

A while ago, I interviewed a German veteran, who was part of Sonderverband 288 (interview available on the main website), who stated that one of the kompanien was composed of Arabs, probably because 288 was originially destined for Iraq.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence" - Sun Tzu
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Some time ago I asked a related question on this site.

Apparently, the highest percentage losses suffered by any British Commonwealth unit in the Greek Campaign in April 1941 was borne by a Palestinian pioneer unit that was left behind in the Peloponese. Several thousand men were captured by the Germans.

My question was: Was there any connection between these men (who I presume were Palestine Arabs, not Palestine Jews) and the German-raised Arab battalion that appeared later in the war in Greece?

Can anyone on this thread help?

I should also mention that in one book in a series of about 23 volumes on debriefing of German officers published by the US Army after the war there is an article on Arabs in German service. From memory, it states that the Arab battalion I mention above fought well in the rearguard of the German retreat from the Balkans in late 1944 and was still in the front line in Croatia against the Yugoslavs in the last weeks of the war. You will have to double check this for accuracy.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hello Sid:

Could you please expound on this
< 23 volumes on debriefing of German officers published by the US Army >

I am interested in this.

Regards
Annelie
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Annelie,

Thanks for the other site details. I'll give them a bash later.

I haven't got the details of the 23 (or so) volume series on me, but I should have them for tomorrow.

Some articles in them are properly type set and were published as separate pamphlets by the US Army, mostly those on tactical aspects of fighting the Red Army on the Eastern Front. Victor Madej reproduced some of them in his pocket books in the 1980s.

However, most of the articles in them are reproductions of typed pages and have presumably not been reproduced elsewhere.

All the articles in these volumes are English translations of German language originals produced by captured German officers for their American debriefers.

It would appear that only a minority were translated for these volumes. One of them contains a list of many other articles never translated and presumably therefore never published.

I believe that a similar series was produced by the US air force on the Luftwaffe.

As I say, fuller details tomorrow.
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Axis Europa books published a book intitled "The East Came West: Muslim, Hindu, And Buddhist Volunteers in the German Armed Forces, 1941-1945". You will find the book at http://www.axiseuropa.com/

Regards
Michael
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have the title of the series of books I mentioned in my earlier posting:

Title: "World War II German Military Studies"

Subtitle: "A collection of 213 special reports on the Second World War prepared by former officers of the Wehrmacht for the United States Army."

In 24 Volumes.

Editor: Donald S. Detwiler

Garland Publishing, Inc.
New York and London, 1979.

The series index states that Volume I contains a "Complete listing by George Wagner of German Military Studies (ETHINT, A, B, C, D, P and T Series) held at the U.S. National Archives, with Author Index." From memory, this includes hundreds, possibly thousands, of articles that were not translated from German for the 24 volume series.

The bad news is that I cannot find the article on the Arabs in the index in the only volume I have (Vol.19). This has various articles on Eastern nationals (mostly Turkoman) and Cossacks, but not on the Arabs.

It is possible that I was mistaken as to the source. Nevertheless, my recollection is that it came from a report by a German officer who stated that the Arab battalion had performed well in the rearguard of the retreat from the Balkans and was in the front line in Srem in Croatia near the end of the war. Obviously this is not quotable without a reference, but it might give you a direction to follow.

Also I would confirm the previous poster's recommendation to try Axis Europa publications.

I hope this is of some help.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thankyou Sid:

Thankyou, I plan to do some researching at Nara in the future and that will give me a starting point.

Regards
Annelie
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

is the Arab unit in question the Deutsche-Arabische Bataillon Nr 845? And the colour footage, is it from "The Third Reich in colour" by Der Speigel TV? sorry if I brough up an old thread, was just curious here.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi HvM,

Yup.

Cheers,

Sid