Danish volunteers, who???

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Hans N
Supporter

Danish volunteers, who???

Post by Hans N »

#On the 12 jan. 1944 a danish volunteer brought back a Russian prisoner at Purmsati, the III.SS-Pz.Korps had tried to get hands on one for 10 days. This dane was decorated with the EK I and a leave. It seems that he belonged to II./SS - Pz.Gren.Rgt.24 "Danmark".

#On the 23 jan.1944 a danish grenadier knocked out 6 Russian tanks in front of the positions of 6./SS - Pz.Gren.Rgt.24 "Danmark" at Purmsati/Bunkas with Panzerfausts on one day. This was when the Russians started the 4th Battle for Kurland.

Who were these brave danes ?????

regards

Hans N
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Re: Danish volunteers, who???

Post by Regiment Norge »

This is an old topic...

Do you have any sources were this information was found?

A dane knocking out 6 russian panzer in one day????
Regiment Norge
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Danish volunteers, who???

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

The year is wrong, this is about events in Kurland in January 1945. The story of a Danish machine gunner seizing a Russian, and bringing him back to German lines for interrogation, is found in Tieke's Tragedy book (page 200 of the English edition).

Two pages later, it is mentioned that more than 40 Soviet tanks assaulted German positions on January 23. Ten were knocked out in front of 6./Danmark, with one Danish grenadier credited with six of the kills, accomplished with Panzerfauste.

I don't know the identity of these men, but I expect that Tieke wouldn't have mentioned these things if he didn't think they were true.