Looking for info on Russian and allied PoW-camps

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Jebir

Looking for info on Russian and allied PoW-camps

Post by Jebir »

Hello

I am looking into the history of a Danish SS Volunteer, and I have come across a couple of notes I need more info about.

It is concerning 3 PoWcamps/prisons he was held in after being captured by the russians in Berlin may 2, 45.

Two russian camps in Germany (stayed in these for about a month, before transferred to Russia), only described as;
"Russian Camp at Kystrin" and "Russian camp near Posen" - in around may-june 1945.

And a camp in Belgium, with the following adress - around the beginning of 1947;
Ch. 236/1921
P/B Petit Chateau
Bruxelles

Can anyone give me ANY info on these camps/prisons?

Thanks in advance,
Jebir
Herr Winkeler
Contributor

Re: Looking for info on Russian and allied PoW-camps

Post by Herr Winkeler »

And a camp in Belgium, with the following adress - around the beginning of 1947;
Ch. 236/1921
P/B Petit Chateau
Bruxelles

Before WWII it were barracks for grenadiers.

Wen mandatory military service still excisted you had to go 3 days for full check up later on 1 day full check up.

Wen mandatory military service was abolished the building became a camp for asylum seekers.
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, ...) during WWII is welcome.
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

You may find guidance in the Russian / Soviet archives and ref camps lsited below.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... md%3Dimvns

Also...Might KYSTRIN have been KUSTRIN?

Best

Al:->
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... md%3Dimvns

Also, check www.dpcamps.org, check Belgium page, for info about Zedelghem and other enquirers.

Al
Jebir

Post by Jebir »

Hi Alan

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've been looking at the sites, and unfortunately, the dpcamps.org site is a bit messy, so I have not been able to find the Belgian site - can you give me a direct link?

The camp in question i "Küstrin" - so yes, both Kustrin and Kystrin would go :-) Do you have any info on it?

- Jebir

(Edit; and as far as I've found out, the "Posen"-camp would be Poznan)
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

http://www.dpcamps.org/belgium.html

More coming..........

Al:->
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

SEVEN YEARS AMONG PRISONERS OF WAR. By Chris Christiansen. Translated by Ida Egede Winther.

Chris Christiansen joined the staff of the Danish YMCA in 1940 and spent the next 8 years involved in prisoner of war relief work. His book is divided into four sections; Part One describes his work among Allied prisoners of war in Germany when he lived in Berlin for four years. In November 1942 he visited Stalag 3C at Kustrin east of Berlin where 7,000 Russian POWs had just arrived. When he returned 3 months later half of them had died from starvation or neglect...(NB: could this camp have been re-used by Red Army to house German POWs and DPs?...Al)..

The YMCA was not allowed to provide medicine, food or clothing, but they did provide musical instruments to some Russian POW camps. It is interesting to read that most of the Polish, French and Belgian POWs were released and repatriated early in the war or forced into employment as civilian workers in Germany. When the war came to an end the Russian forces arrived in Berlin and rounded up the many foreigners still in the city and shipped them eastwards into Russia.

Part Two describes the year that Chris spent as a guest of the Soviets in Moscow where he staged his own hunger strike. Thereafter he was sent to Krasnogorsk outside Moscow where he spent the Christmas of 1945 in company with German POWs captured at Stalingrad. Eventually he was allowed to go home and after a short period of recuperation moved to Britain where a quarter of a million German POWs were being held in 130 POW camps.

Part Three describes his work with the POWs of the defeated Third Reich, who never had to complain to him about the food or conditions in their camps, indeed at 3,300 calories per person daily they were fed more than the civilian population. In Part Four Chris goes to Egypt where the conditions under which the German POWs were kept was causing concern amongst their own chaplains and the YMCA tried to alleviate the situation.

Hardcover. Available from The University of Chicago Distribution Center, Billing Office, 11030 South Langley Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60628, USA. Tel 001-773-568-1550. Price US$34.95 incl postage. ISBN number 0-8214-1069-5.
Jebir

Post by Jebir »

Hi Alan

Thank you very much for the reply - seems like a book worth reading :-)

Do you know if part 3 is also about the Stalag 3C Küstrin, or more about the camps in general?

- Jebir