First swedish KIA in the 5 SS-Div. Wiking

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Regiment Norge
Supporter

First swedish KIA in the 5 SS-Div. Wiking

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi!

In various books about foreign volunteers in the Wiking the first swedish volunteer who was killed in action with SS-Div. Wiking has been mentioned as Hans Lindèn in december 1941.

According to a list of nationalities serving in the SS-Div. Wiking dated 19.9.1941; "Aufstellung über Verluste und Aufzeichnungen der germanischen Freiwilligen" signed by Steiner he writes that 8 swedes are in the ranks of SS-Div. Wiking, 1 is KIA, 1 is WIA and 5 have gotten the Sturmabzeichen. It was not many foreign volunteers in Wiking at this moment only 1831 in total. Of these 148 was reported KIA, 337 WIA. A copy of this list can be found at NA T-175, Roll 107 frame 2630531.

Whats interesting is this until know completely unknown swede who are reported KIA long before the "official" first swede Hans Lindén in december 1941. To my knowledge his name are not known to well known researchers in Sweden and I guess that his name will be unknown until somebody searches through the Namentlicher Verlustlisten to various units within the SS-Div Wiking located at Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin! If not anybody here at the forum has some new discovered information.....
Regiment Norge
zeigler

Re: First swedish KIA in the 5 SS-Div. Wiking

Post by zeigler »

Hello! This is perhaps and old topic but im close friends with a researcher whos maybe sitting on the information you need. Also I have contact with known swedish writers that are experts on the subject at hand. Ill forward this question for you and get back soon!
Reenacting Regiment 24 "Danmark" in the Swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Thanks Zeigler!

I have also spoken on the phone with Lennart Westberg in Sweden, he has been researching the swedish volunteers since the mid 1970s. This KIA swedish individual are still unknown to him also, but if someone has gone through the Namentlicher Verlustlisten to WIKING at WASt there is a big chance that he might be found there.
Regiment Norge
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Regiment Norge wrote:Thanks Zeigler!

I have also spoken on the phone with Lennart Westberg in Sweden, he has been researching the swedish volunteers since the mid 1970s. This KIA swedish individual are still unknown to him also, but if someone has gone through the Namentlicher Verlustlisten to WIKING at WASt there is a big chance that he might be found there.
Very good! Ill ask Martin Månsson (if you know who that is) along with others! I take it youre intressted in the scandinavian voulteers as well? :)
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

I do not think Martin has this name either, he works together with Lennart and if this individuals name had been revealed I am sure Martin would have been notified about it...
Regiment Norge
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Regiment Norge wrote:I do not think Martin has this name either, he works together with Lennart and if this individuals name had been revealed I am sure Martin would have been notified about it...
Yes youre right. If Westberg doesnt know nobody else here in Sweden wont either but it was worth a shot! Nobody ive checked with have the info youre looking for. There has to be a file on it somewhere.. but where?
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

Could it be that this unknown man was of mixed nationalities, like a Swedish father and German mother and raised in Germany? That might explain why there's no known trace of him in Swedish records.
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

B Hellqvist wrote:Could it be that this unknown man was of mixed nationalities, like a Swedish father and German mother and raised in Germany? That might explain why there's no known trace of him in Swedish records.
Hi!

That´s a possibility, but I do not have any more information on who this swede are than what Steiner has written on the casualty report that says 1 swedes has been KIA and the document are dated september 1941...
Regiment Norge
Blanusa

Post by Blanusa »

Hello,

My friend Lars who is having his book on the Swedish SS-Volunteers published this summer asked me if I could post this for him:
-I have a list of unknown origin, which lists Swedes who is included in the Frontkjemperarkivet in Oslo, there is one name which is a possibility for this unknown KIA Swede. "Illmori Pleuna", the name is far from Swedish sounding, but as said - he is listed as a Swede in this list, and he was born on 6.7.21 and dead 19.7.41, why this possibly is the correct person. Is there anyone who has the possibility to visit the Frontkjemperarchive?

Best regards
Blanusa
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi Blanusa!

Sorry about the long delay in respons to your last post.

Illmori Pleuna is known to my and I got information from Finland that he is a finn of nationality. The WASt reported to me years ago that PLEUNA died at 16.7.1944, so some sources have wrong dates.
Regiment Norge