African German Soldiers?

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Heerss

African German Soldiers?

Post by Heerss »

There is a saying there is no such thing as an African German soldier during wwII,how true is this saying?
I knew of Aficans being present in Germany after wwI & there where some Africans serving under foreign volunteers under german badges but where there any Africans that served with the real German army? ect..Heer,Wehrmacht?

Most foreign non German volunteers (Africans,Muslim,Chinese/Japanese) wore soft hats & never wore the hard German helmets like the Heer and Werhmacht wore.

I'd found this photograpgh of a full African (that looks like he is wearing the common German uniform) with a standard german hard helmet which only offical German soilders wore.
I would like to know more on this guy,and if it is a real ww2 photo and not a fake photoshop photo,thank you.
Attachments
Black German.jpg
Black German.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 12964 times
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: African German Soldiers?

Post by Alex Dekker »

There seem to be black africans who served as drivers for the NSKK, but so far I haven't seen any pics or evidence so far. I just heard the rumour. :x
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Just a few examples but the are plenty more !!
Alex Dekker wrote:There seem to be black africans who served as drivers for the NSKK, but so far I haven't seen any pics or evidence so far. I just heard the rumour. :x
Heerss

Post by Heerss »

The first photo (posted under the third post) was he actually serving under the werhmacht or was he serving under the African empire units under control by Germans?
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Heerss wrote:Most foreign non German volunteers (Africans,Muslim,Chinese/Japanese) wore soft hats & never wore the hard German helmets like the Heer and Werhmacht wore.
I'm sorry but that is just not true, all troops were issued with the "hard German helmet" regardless of their nationality, the pictures posted of the Arabs show that. The same helmets were also issued to Hungarian and Romanian troops .

The Heer was part of the Wehrmacht incidentally.
Alan
mconrad

Post by mconrad »

Heerss wrote:The first photo (posted under the third post) was he actually serving under the werhmacht or was he serving under the African empire units under control by Germans?
What African empire?
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

There is a black Frenchman (Norbert Desire) who enlisted in LVF and fought during the Moscow battles in 1941. In 1944 after LVF was disbanded, he apply to join the Charlemagne Waffen SS division but was turned down due to the colour of his skin.

There is a black Gestapo agent (a Frenchman) operating in Marseilles from 1942-45. He was "epurated" in May or June 1945

There is also a black Abwehr agent operating in South America, working for the Hamburg Ast station. He was caught in 1944 and was handed over to the FBI
Heerss

Post by Heerss »

Those Africans are French soldiers that happen to wined up as soldiers within German army?
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Pretty sure I've seen a documentary on this subject, probably aired more than 10 years ago. People originating from Imperial Germany's limited colonial territories, safest option during NSDAP period to enlist... would love to see it again.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"