Hungarian SS Website

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

zoltay

Hungarian SS Website

Post by zoltay »

A new web site on the various units of the Hungarian SS is under construction at [http://hunyadi.co.uk/]
panzermahn
Associate

Re: Hungarian SS Website

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Zoltay

The Maria Theresia, Horst Wessel as well as 31st SS divisions had large percentage of volksdeutsche from Hungary

There were also Hungarian volunteers in SS Jagdverband Suedost

Do you have the book on Hungarian Waffen SS by Dr. Norbert Számvéber? I heard it is the most definitive account on Hungarians in the Waffen SS

Joachim
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

http://mek.niif.hu/05000/05002/html/index.htm

Too bad Dr. Számvéber's book has never been translated to English :(
ducatim901

Post by ducatim901 »

Hi Panzermahn,
You can get pretty far with Google translator;
http://translate.google.nl/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8
Greetings Jack.
zoltay

Post by zoltay »

When building the website I stuck to the units that are classed as totally Hungarian (saying that even volksdeutsche ended up in Brigade ,,Ney" and possibly other units) There is plenty of information on 22 SS Division and 31 SS Division etc but very little on the Hungarian units. The book by Dr. Norbert Számvéber is included in the information on the website. I spent approximately 8 months translating the entire section on the Hungarian SS (I dont speak Hungarian) and it forms the basis for the website. Unfortunately due to getting a new computer I seem to have miss-placed the original word documents that I had saved the translation to.If you remember you sent me a copy of the memories of a man from ,,Hunyadi" who fought in Berlin. When the website is completed then I will be starting the translation of that and possibly added it to the website (or parts of it if it adds something to the history of the division).
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Yeah, it is really a pity that Dr.Szamveber's works still wait for a translation. Norbert is really a nic chap :wink:

By the way: 22.SS-Frw.Kav.Div. had no name, so far nobody was able to present an official document using "maria theresia" in connection with this formation :wink:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
zoltay

Post by zoltay »

It is a pity that a professional translation of the full book is not available but I have included all the information in the book concerning the Hungarian units on the website. It covers Kampfgruppe Deak, Brigade Ney, Ist Schi Battalion, 1st Sturmjaeger Regiment, Kampfgruppe Szalasi, Hunyadi, Hungaria, the Hungarian Army corps and the Alarm Regiment at Neuhammer. Please visit the site if you already havent.