Italian Saboteurs against US planes

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

gttf

Italian Saboteurs against US planes

Post by gttf »

Hello,
I’ve found, in at least three books (“B-24 Liberator units of the 15th AF”, “B-24 Liberator units of the 8th AF” and “Ploesti: the great ground-air battle of 1/08/1943”), the same info, with almost the same words, relevant to a landing of an Italian Saboteurs team from a submarine, near some Lybian air base, maybe towards the end of June, 1943. These commandos would have killed two American guards and blew up four airplanes.
AFAIK, the Italian bibliography mentions three different attacks by Italian saboteurs to airports near Bengasi:
- 24, febr.,1943: Er Regima airport (10 km from Bengasi) by a saboteurs unit depending from SIM (Italian Army Intelligence Service),dropped near Barce on febr., 14th, 1943: claim about 20 planes destroyed or damaged
- 18, June, 1943: Benina North airport by two parachutists of Italian Air Force ADRA Btl, dropped on June, 13th, 1943: claim of 18 planes destroyed or damaged
- 3, August, 1943: Bengasi airport: unsuccessful attempt by two squads (19 men) of Italian Navy “San Marco” regiment, landed from submarine “Menotti”: all captured after the landing.

Excluding the second attack (which, being part of a more than 100 parachutists drop, could not have been confused with a sea landing) and the third attack (all intruders were captured after the landing), only in the first case, there could be some similarity with the action described in the books cited before (as the drop of the Italian agents could have not been detected).
Has anyone details about the event described in the books cited at the beginiing of this message ?
Thanks in advance

Fabrizio
John W. Howard

Re: Italian Saboteurs against US planes

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gttf:
You might know about this site but just in case here is a link: http://www.afhra.af.mil/ This is the US Air Force's historical archives at Maxwell AFB in Alabama. They would certainly have official records of various kinds regarding the incident you mention. If you know the bomb squadron and bomb group of the US planes this would help. You will probably need to write to them for help, but they should be able to put you in touch with exactly what you need. You seem to have everything you need to make their job as easy as possible which is important. I hope this helps. Best wishes and good luck!!
John W. Howard
gttf

Post by gttf »

Hello, John, thanks for your kind suggestion

Regards

Fabrizio
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Fabrizio:
A little more information. Elements of the 47th Bomb Wing flying B-24's were based in the Benghazi area starting in February of 1943. The 98th Bomb Group was based at Benina Libya from Feruary of 1943 to September of 1943. Elements of the 347th Bomb Group were were originally based at Solluch( 30 miles south of Benghazi) on 24 February 1943, then moved to within a few miles south of Benghazi at a base called Bonina Number Two. I am not sure if these two bomb groups are the ones you are referring to, but they may have been. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
gttf

Post by gttf »

Hello John, infos very useful. I will try to take advantage from them.
Just a little comment: Bonina is probably Benina, one of the airports I've cited in my first message

Best regards

Fabrizio