Finnish vol. in Langemarck

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Bart V.
Supporter

Finnish vol. in Langemarck

Post by Bart V. »

From which is the source, of following quote, which I got from page : http://www.feldgrau.com/6ssb.html ?
A Finnish volunteers battalion, a contingent of Flemish volunteers, and new recruits were added to the forming Sturmbrigade. A Panzerjäger-Kompanie, a Sturmgeschütz-Bataillon, and a Flak-Bataillon were also formed and added to the new Sturmbrigade.
I interviewed several Flemish Volunteers (which where in the SS-Freiwilligen-Sturmbrigade Langemarck), also one who got from Das Reich to the Sturmbrigade. He also was a writer of a kompanie. They all don't know about Finnish Volunteers who joined them. None ever heared of them or never saw them. Even the Kompaniewriter, who did had many connections in the Sturmbrigade, doesn't know about a Finnish bataillon who joined them.

Through my investigation I also never found evidence of Finnish Volunteers in the Langemarck.

Many thanks
Yours sincerely
Bart Verstraeten

http://www.vlaamslegioen.com
Juho

Re: Finnish vol. in Langemarck

Post by Juho »

I’m not quite sure about this, but it might be question about Ost-Bataillon 664, “voluntary” unit that was raised from Finnish speaking population of Ingermanland (i.e. the countryside around Leningrad) in early 1942. As ethnic group they were classified as Finns by the Germans. In late 1943 this unit was transferred to Finnish army and renamed as Erillispataljoona (separate battalion) 6.

I don’t know under which German units Ost-Bataillon 664 served, but its main task was to guard railroads against the partisans in the areas controlled by Germans near Leningrad. Only other Finnish unit in German armed forces I’m aware of was the Finnish SS-battalion, but it served in southern Soviet Union and was send back to Finland in summer 1943.
Herr Winkeler
Contributor

Re: Finnish vol. in Langemarck

Post by Herr Winkeler »

I recently bought the Vermisstenbildliste of the DRK WD III from Waffen SS unit 23 - 38 and other SS organisations.
and on page WD 347 stands:

Finninsches Btl. SS Brig. Langemark / FPN: 46785

There is only 1 person missing on that page and hilarious it is no Fin but apparently a Dutchman:

Weijman Wijnand
Born 02-06-1926
in 1939 wonende in The Netherlands
SS Man
Missing te Hammerstein at 00-01-1945

So does anybody have more info about the Feldpostnr: 46785 ??
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, ...) during WWII is welcome.