Destruction of French Waffen-SS Memorial in Bavaria

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Geoff Walden

Destruction of French Waffen-SS Memorial in Bavaria

Post by Geoff Walden »

In the locked thread - http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... sc&start=0, Rudi Welz said:

"I am ashamed about this bavarian politicans who are responsible for this policeaction. Maybe that some day this nice memorial will be removed over night like the nameplates of the men who are buried in the Spöttinger Friedhof in Landsberg. (This was ordered by the former bav. minister Weiss (CSU). Poor Germany!"

Rudi was, unfortunately, a prophet, as this is exactly what has happened to the memorial at Karlstein in Bad Reichenhall. During the third week of October 2007, without any prior notice or discussion, the local authorities removed all trace of the memorial where the French Waffen-SS soldiers were shot with trial and initially buried. There is nothing there now but bare ground.

The destruction of historic sites in Bavaria continues without pause.

Geoff Walden
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The destruction of historic sites in Bavaria continues without pause.
Would it help to sign an petition of some sort?

Are locals not appalled by this?
Annelie

Post by phylo_roadking »

Annelie, if you see the various threads on AHF about the systematic dismantling of sites on the Obersalzberg in particular BY the Bavarian locals, it would seem that activities such as this are progressing with at least the tacit buy-in of the local populataion. It's been going on there for some ten years plus now.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hi Phylo,

Am aware of this happening in Obersalzberg but that it is happening to
in as building sites etc but memorials of those buried seems like
over kill to me? Someone trying to make brownie points in their
particular political advancement perhaps?

Why not a petition to start things going? Can only help in that
it brings attention to the world that such things are going on?
Annelie

info

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

Possono distruggere i monumementi, ma non disrruggeranno mai i nostri ideali!!

(they can destroy the monument, but they can't never destroy your ideal!!

waffen211
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The people running Germany now are former DDR people. Anyway, that's Europe today for you. More to the point, wasn't this memorial on private property? Wasn't it privately funded? To destroy it and remove the component pieces surely counts as criminal damage and, possibly, theft? Or did the local authorities avail themselves of some planning law loophole? In fact, the the memorial have planning permission in the first place? If it did, and it conformed to the agreements, the action of the local authority could be challenged...as long as those mounting the challenge did not mind if their careers were over.

PK
haen2
WWII Vet

monument destruction

Post by haen2 »

What's new ?
It's like the Pharaos of old. Who, would deface or destroy, a gravesite of their fore-runners, (especially if they were not of the "same" dynasty), and replace it with their own stuff.
Also various groups of semites (of old) were good at this, and anything that did not fit in their current beliefs or habits, would be destroyed, preferably in the name of their God. The old testament is full of it.
Not too long ago a "holy"(sic) man of Islam ordered the oldest existing facsimily of a carved Buddah destroyed. In the name of God of course.
Sick people ???
You bet. But that is life.
"Anything" to fit into the political correctness of the time.
As for Bavaria ? One more place to not visit anymore.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Visited Bayern for the umteenth time in July, August & Sept. You are right, I was bitterly disappointed, as was my wife. The small towns and villages seem to honour their soldiers. However the cities - nothing short of disgraceful. I tried to find a monument to my fathers old Regt. No one in authority knew where to find one and we were sent on more than a few wild goose chases. My wife and I decided that we would grid the city and do a thorough search. We finally found a small plaque commemorating the "Einundzwanziger". It was afixed to an old 19th century monument. Horror of horrors though, below the plaque was another in the form of an apology for wrongs inflicted to God knows who and God knows who by. We both thought it was a bloody insult to the soldiers who served and died.
On coming home I wrote to the Oberburgermeister. He at least responed and voiced his own concerns.
What I got from all of this was that modern Germans, in Germany today lack backbone. They try and please everyone and in the process insult & denigrade themselves and end up pleasing no one. The older generation looks on in disgust while the under 50s stuff up what used to be a country that once was looked up to. Makes me mad just typing this.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID