Nero Caesar, the Great Fire of Rome, and the Bombing of Rome

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Iron_Bismarck
Supporter

Nero Caesar, the Great Fire of Rome, and the Bombing of Rome

Post by Iron_Bismarck »

On 19 July, 64 CE, Rome was devastated by a fire that destroyed or damaged 10 of her 14 districts. This was the "Great Fire of Rome" that Nero blamed on the arson of Christians & Jews.

precisely 1,879 years later...

On 19 July, 1943, Rome was attacked by US bombers. Many buildings were destroyed and over 1,000 Romans were killed (by WWII standards, the damage was light). Within 1 week, Mussolini had been deposed.

This is an extra-ordinary coincidence. Was the 19 July bombing of Rome designed to coincide with the anniversary of the Great Fire of Rome? Was this used as a "message", saying in effect, "you see what we're doing to cities in Germany, we could do this to Rome too, remember the past of your great Historical City" in order to get the ITA to capitulate (which they soon did)?

Or is it just a completely random coincidence?

It seems that Rome was bombed about 1 month later, around 19 August, too:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... id=googlep
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Rome was bombed by AMERICANS, surely the most historically ignorant people in the western world. I'd say coincidence.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

This thread would be of interest only to conspiracy theorists and trolls, and the now-disappeared Iron-Bismarcks of the world. I hadn't seen it before, and my very first reaction was b@lls-out LAUGHTER.....why? because the idiot obviously forgot about the move from the Julian to Gregorian calendars, and its NOT on the same date AT ALL!!!

I look forward to this one being perpetuated in the next error-ridden documentary he produces.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds