French volunteers in Wehrmacht during Bagration, 1944

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

veiss
Supporter

French volunteers in Wehrmacht during Bagration, 1944

Post by veiss »

I've read this article http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=77

This paragraph draw my attention:
" One June 22, 1944, the German front is horribly weakened by the assault of 196 Soviet divisions. While the Wehrmacht retreat everywhere, a LVF battalion, formed in a Kampfgruppe, is asked to cut the Moscow-Minsk road in front of Borrisov, near from the Beresina river.

Lead by Commandant Bridoux, son of the Vichy war Minister, the Kampfgruppe is composed of 400 men, all veterans. Mgr Mayol de Luppe, 71 years old, is with them!

Their positions are equipped with MG42 machine guns, anti-tanks 37 guns and some Tiger Panzers. At dawn on this June 22nd, the Red Army luach a heavy infantry offensive, seconded by tanks. Thje battle will last till the 23rd at night. The Soviet didn't passed. The LVF retreated as no more ammunitions were available. 41 dead, 24 wounded but, in that opposite side, several hundred of dead and about 40 destroyed tanks.

Two weeks later, exhausted and starving, the survivors are gathered at Greifenberg camp, in Pomerania. The Legionnaires discover there that their French comrades have been taken into the Waffen SS. Here is the end of the LVF history, as all the Legionnaires were incorporated into the French Waffen SS Brigade"

It looks a bit strange for me. Russian forces approached the mentioned place of fight - town Borrisov on Berezina river only on June 29 and here it is told June 22-23. Fights at the area of the mentioned Moscow-Minsk road on June 22-23 were conducted by 78th Sturmdivision.
May be anyone can comment the described episode? What is the source of information given in the article?
Do not salute me. There are goddamned snipers all around this area...
Le Page

Post by Le Page »

I would imagine the LVF kampfgruppe was attached to the 78th. There was also a police battalion involved, and about 10 tanks I think. The tanks (or Stugs) may have been from the 78th.
veiss
Supporter

Post by veiss »

Sounds reasonable, thanks for idea. But the dates are still unclear
Do not salute me. There are goddamned snipers all around this area...