Georgian volunteers

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

jarek
Supporter

Post by jarek »

Hio guys,
Some infos about Georgian Bn I/9 and others unit of Georgian Legion (Legions)

Georgische Legion in 162. ID
formed 14.06.1942 in Gadjatsch (Gadjač - Ucraine) in Dulag 112
4.06.1943 - used to formation IR 303

CO’s from 14.06.42 - Maj. Nehls
from 28.06.42 - Obstl. Ristow
from 24.07.42 - Maj. Schmidt
from 21.09.42 - Obstl. Dr Maus
from 25.01.43 - Obstl. Heyne
from 24.02.43 - Obstl. Otto von der Linde
from 1.05.43 - Obstl. Otto Machtz

4 bns in Legion were formed:
I. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. I./9
II. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. I./298 and renamed II./4 (Geb.)
III. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. I./1 (Geb.)
IV. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. II./198
and V. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. III./9 - he did not finish forming
and VI. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. II./125 - he did not finish forming

Georgische Legion in Kommando der Ostlegionen
formed 24.02.1942 - in Wesola from cadre of IEB 360
12.08.1943 moved to Kruszyna
11.10.1943 - moved to France

COs: 2.03.42 - Hptm. Wilhelm Housselle
from 21.08.42 - Olt. Breitner
from Juni 43 - Obstl. Otto Machtz

8 bns in Legion were formed:

I. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 795
II. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 796
III. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 797
IV. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 798
V. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 799
VI. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 822
VII. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 823
VIII. Ausb. Btl. renamed Btl. 824

Bestreg.
Jarek
Heilsberg / Ostpreussen
gogi

Post by gogi »

Hello Jarek,

Thank you very much. I have already seen your infos about the Caucasians in the Wehrmacht on Axis. Com
It’s really very impressive.

Now additional infos from my recently published Book:

795. Georgische Btl. Formed in the spring of 1943. Co-s: Oberleutnant Schirr, Oberleutnant Ziller. In september of 1942 in North Caucasus, integrated in 23th German Panzerdivision. Participated in the battles near Naltshik and village Uruh in Ossetia. In the January of 1943 evacuated in Crimea. In May of 1943 was sent to Krushina, in Poland. In September of 1943 was sent to France and incorporated in 79th German Division near Cherbourg. In june-July of 1944 participated in the military actions and was destroyed fighting 82th USA Airborn division.

796. Georgische Btl. Formed in the spring of 1943. Co-s: Oberleutnant Eismann. Participated in the battle near Tuapse (North Caucasus). After the desertion from Bataillon of the several dozens legioners, at the beginning of 1943 transformed to 795. Turk. Nahschub. Btl.

797. Georgische Btl. Formed in the autumn of 1943. Co-s: Hauptmann Billesfeld, Hauptmann Masberg.
At the beginning of 1944 was sent to France and integrated in 79th German Infantry Division, near Coutances. Participated and was destroyed in the battle against US 4th motorised Division.

798. Georgische Btl. Formed in the autumn of 1943. Co-s: Hauptmann Kulke, Hauptmann Kobiashvili.
At the beginning of 1944 was sent in France and integrated in the 265 German infantry Division near Saint-Nazaire. Participated in the battle against US 4th motorised Division. Two companies of this Bataillon managed to withdraw in Germany.

799. Georgische Btl. Formed in the spring of 1943. Co: Hauptmann Schmidt, Hauptmann Bakradze. Was sent in France in the autumn of 1943. Participated in the actions against local partisans in the area of Perigeux. In the august of 1944 participated in the battle against allies. At the end of 1944 was sent to the Germany, in the training camp Neuhammer (Silesia). At the beginning of 1945 was sent to Danemark and, with 836 North-Caucasian Bataillon, integrated in the 1607 Caucasian regiment. After the end of the war, most of the legioners were handed over to Soviets.

822. Georgische Btl. Formed in the spring of 1943. Co: Hauptmann Breitner. At the beginning of 1944 incorporated in 16 Luftwaffe Field Division (Holland and Germany), than in 219 German Division, near Zandfoort (Holland). At the end of the war revolted against Germans on the Texel island and was destroyed in the battle.

823. Formed in the spring of 1943. Co-s: Hauptmann Schmidt, Hauptmann Muller. Was sent in France and integrated in the 319th German Division on the Guernsey channel island. After the end of the war, handed over to the soviets.

824. Formed in the spring of 1943, but very soon disbanded.

About the other Bataillons I will write later.

Respectfully yours,
Gogi
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Hello,
I read often that the Georgian Battalion 799 part of Division Brehmer participed in operation against the Maquisards of Perigord and Limousin, but after as 200 Georgians deserted in april-may 1944, the Battalion was disarmed and sent to Sissonne.
Regards
gogi

Post by gogi »

Hello,

Here is the complete information about 799. Georg. Btl.
Unfortunately, these excerpts from my Book are not in English.
This French translation of my text was kindly provided by my French friend.

Respectfully,

Gogi

G. Mamulia. Gruzinskij legion (1941-1945). (La Légion Géorgienne (1941-1945)). Tbilissi, Editions « Tsodna », 2003. p. 81-83, 98-99. (en russe).

Outre les bataillons géorgiens qui seront directement engagés contre les Alliés occidentaux lors du débarquement de Normandie, des éléments de la Légion Géorgienne furent employés par le commandement allemand contre les maquis du Massif central et du Sud de la France.. Ce fut en particulier le cas du 799eme Bataillon géorgien, formé en Pologne le 16 décembre 1942 comme bataillon de marche d'infanterie et transféré au début d'octobre 1943 à Périgueux où il fut employé dans les opérations menées contre les résistants français . Tout de suite, le commandant du bataillon, le capitaine allemand Schmidt, se heurta à de sérieuses difficultés. Dès le transfert à Périgueux, un petit groupe de sympathisants communistes s'était constitué au sein du bataillon, s'efforçant d'entrer en contact avec des membres de la Résistance française dans le but de rejoindre cette dernière. Dénoncés par des légionnaires géorgiens, les conjurés furent arrêtés . Quant au bataillon, à en croire le lieutenant Guivi Gabliani, responsable des questions militaires au sein de l’Etat-major géorgien de liaison, envoyé sur place en tournée d'inspection, il produisait « une impression juste satisfaisante » .
Il n'est pas surprenant que soit aussi mentionné dans les souvenirs de FTP communistes français, peu portés à faire l'éloge de la combativité des formations de « volontaires orientaux » recrutés par la Wehrmacht, que le commandement allemand a employé le 799eme Bataillon « avec plus ou moins de succès dans des expéditions punitives » .
Ce fut le cas en particulier en octobre et en novembre 1943 ce que corrobore un autre témoignage .
Il faut dire, par ailleurs, que la nature même de ces actions punitives soulevait des réticences chez la majorité des légionnaires.
Il n'est pas étonnant que les désertions pour rejoindre les rangs du maquis, en particulier celles survenues en avril 1944, à la veille du Débarquement allié, aient eu lieu justement dans une période d'intense répression allemande. Pour la dernière fois, une des compagnies du 799eme Bataillon prit part le 17 avril 1944 à une opération contre des maquisards près de La Linde dans le sud-ouest du département de la Dordogne. Après la désertion en masse, survenue à Périgueux le 23 avril, au cours de laquelle quelque 80 hommes passèrent à la Résistance française, le 799ème Bataillon géorgien fut muté au camp de Sissonne en Champagne dans le nord de la France .
En conséquence, après le débarquement du 6 juin, à la différence d'autres détachements de la Légion géorgienne en France, le 799ème bataillon échappa à la capture ou à la destruction et ses soldats purent retraiter de France en Allemagne. Dans son carnet de marche, à la date du 9 août 1944, le lieutenant-colonel Hansen note que, selon les renseignements provenant des unités et adressés à l'état-major du général commandant les formations de volontaires orientaux : «Le 799ème Bataillon se bat bien.» .
A la fin de 1944, le 799ème Bataillon se trouve à l'entraînement en Silésie au camp de l’entrainement Neuhammer . Il passe au début de 1945 sous le commandement du capitaine S. Kobiachvili chargé de l'instruction tactique à Neuhammer. Celle-ci achevée, le bataillon est envoyé à la fin de février au Danemark, où, avec le 836ème Bataillon nord-caucasien, il est affecté au 1607ème Régiment de Grenadiers du Caucase stationné autour de Viborg dans le centre du Jutland. Le capitaine Kobiachvili prend alors le commandement de ce régiment. Simultanément, le capitaine V. Bakradzé est nommé commandant du 799eme bataillon géorgien , devenu entre temps 1er bataillon du 1607ème Régiment de Grenadiers du Caucase : I/Kauk. Grenadier. Regt. 1607, dans la terminologie allemande .
Il était prévu d'incorporer ce régiment dans une future division caucasienne de la Wehrmacht, projet auquel la fin de la guerre mit un terme définitif . Ce n'est donc pas un hasard si, en avril 1945, se trouvait aussi au Danemark le bataillon azerbaïdjanais de forces spéciales « Bergmann II ». II avait été transféré d'Allemagne, dans la région de Aalborg, au nord du Jutland, et ses compagnies, chargées de la défense des côtes occidentales du Danemark dans le secteur du fjord de Ringkebing , se trouvaient à proximité des légionnaires géorgiens du 799ème Bataillon. A la même époque, une autre unité à recrutement caucasien, le bataillon azerbaïdjanais 1/111, fut mutée au Danemark .
Le commandement allemand craignait la possibilité d'un débarquement britannique. Mais les unités du régiment chargées d'assurer la défense des côtes occidentales du Danemark restèrent l'arme au pied à jusqu'à la fin de la guerre.
Après la capitulation allemande, les autorités britanniques d'occupation firent transférer le 799eme Bataillon dans le Schleswig allemand et elles donnèrent aux officiers de la commission soviétique de rapatriement l'autorisation de visiter les Géorgiens faits prisonniers.
Selon la propagande soviétique, la majorité des légionnaires fut volontaire pour être rapatriée. 120 hommes seulement décidèrent de rester à l'ouest. Le plus grand nombre y réussirent. En effet, il n'était pas très difficile de s'évader des camps de prisonniers très faiblement gardés par les Britanniques .
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Great, thank you very much Gogi :up:
Loïc L.

Re: Georgian Volunteers

Post by Loïc L. »

Hello,
about I/9 Georgische Feldbataillon
In the april of 1944 South France and then incorporated in the 1st Regiment of the Freiwillige Stamm Division. Bataillons companies were dislocated in Toulouse, Saint-Soulpice and Mazamet with the aim to guard road Toulouse - Bordeaux
where was the other Battalion (II/4), Albi and Carmaux ?
gogi

Georgian Volunteers

Post by gogi »

Hello,

According my information, II/4 Bataillon was in Albi and Castres. In Carmeux was one company of I/9th Georgian Bataillon, which guarded the coal mines there. In the august of 1944 one section of this company deserted to maquisards.

Cordialement,

Gogi
mightythor99
Enthusiast

how did your grandfather make it to germany? why didnt he

Post by mightythor99 »

get forced to go back to russia, after pow camp, and suffer fate of other russians who were pow's, etc? glad that he didnt go back there! you might not be here now if that was the case!
happy history'ing!!
:up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Is this
Obstl. Otto von der Linde
identical with the OTL. von der Linde who was BtlKdr. in IR 5 in the french campaign 1940 ?

Jan-Hendrik
Kordes

Georg. Feld- Btl. I/9 und Freiw. Stamm- Rgt 1

Post by Kordes »

Now I got new informations. My father was the Ia and Fw. Gerhard Uttecht was Ib. from both I got written informations.
The staff was at Krimskaya and the companies spred within Rgt. 57. After bbe retired from Kuban- Brückenkopf by air in gliders or pioneer- ferries to Crimea, there were several places of stationnement: Parpatsch alt the Asow sea, Duwankoj between Simferopol and Seweastopol and at least at Islam- Terek at the coast of the Asow sea. After a march to Sewastopol port, they were evacuated by an emty Rumainian coal transporting steamer. They were attacked severely by Russian planes and nearly got shipwrecked. But they reached the port of Sulina and even went up the Danube branch Salina to Braila. From there they went 4 weeks long through the carpatian mountains to Bethlen, Sienbürgen, belonging to Hungaria from 1940 to 44 or 45. From there railway transportation via Vienna to Castres/Mazamet/France. At the end of July changing to Agen. From there Retreatment via Montauban and Toulouse to Béziers. Then, after the allied southern invasion they made a deviation to the north through the Montagne noirs under severe attacks of the Maquis. The troup was stopped by a blown up bridge, abandoned all vehicles and went only by night till Chomérac, a village east of Privas. Seeing the Rhône route blocked by allied troups, they surrendered to a group of 7 airbourne US soldiers and the Maquis without fighting on August 29th. They were taken by the French to Privas, the officers were separated into POW camp Nr. 146 at Vals-les-Bains, the sergants, corporals and the common soldiers went to the coal mines at the environment of St. Etienne.
morkern

Post by morkern »

Hello,
I want to create a scenario with the gorgian troops (Bretagne) in the game Combat Mission, and I need gorgian family names for the units officers.
Someone can help me?
John W. Howard

How Many??

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Morkern:
How many names do you need? Am I correct in assuming you do not need actual names, but fictitious Georgian names? Let me know and I will try to help. Best wishes.
Last edited by John W. Howard on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W. Howard
John W. Howard

Georgian

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Morken:
Here are a few actual Georgian family names; one of them most of our members will know; the rest all have something in common, which someone might recognize. If you need more let me know.

Natadze Usupashvili Topadze Davitashvili Dzidziguri

Burjanadze Sikharulidze Saakashvilli Noghaideli Gachechiladze

Dzhugashvili Shevardnaze
John W. Howard
lebedo
Supporter

Re: Georgian volunteers

Post by lebedo »

I lived in Lavilledieu ,a small french village where the Georgian btn passed when retreating.My house was near the road the btn used to go to Lussas.The Georgians were ambushed by French Résistance and harassed by them until they regrouped in Lussas during the night.French résistants blowed a small bridge in a narrow valley just North of Lussas ,so the column had to abandon all its heavy weapons and vehicles.Scattered , the survivors regrouped later in another village , Chomérac ,and were surrounded by the résistants.They surrendered when a M8 howitzer of the french army came and fired a few rounds...You can have the french history of what is called here the battle of Lussas by Googlesing "Bataille de Lussas" and "Memoires d'Ardeche".
AHK
Contributor

Re: Georgian volunteers

Post by AHK »

Never heard of "Division Brehmer". Please post an OB.
Thanks,
AHK