Deutschbalten in the Estonian/Latvian SS (?)

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

CvS

Deutschbalten in the Estonian/Latvian SS (?)

Post by CvS »

Hello all:

I am researching the history of the German-speaking Estonian nobility during WWII. While most of this minority was "repatriated" to Germany in 1940 from Estonia and Latvia - I was wondering if there are any Baltic SS experts who know if any Deutschbalten were part of the Estonian/Latvian SS formations?

Any assistance on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

CvS
Peeter

germans

Post by Peeter »

A few Estonian germans were in 20th SS, but most of them you can find in any other WSS or Wehrmacht unit. Last year I met one german (speaking still perfect estonian), who was fallschirmjäger.
estonian
Supporter

Re: Deutschbalten in the Estonian/Latvian SS (?)

Post by estonian »

CvS wrote:I was wondering if there are any Baltic SS experts who know if any Deutschbalten were part of the Estonian/Latvian SS formations?
CvS
On the web page http://www.okupatsioon.ee/propatria/pro2.txt (list of Estonian soldiers perish in the WWII) you can find a name Nikolai von Hennings, Sturmmann 24.07.1895 - 14.02.1942. If you watching date of death (at this time Estonian Legion wasn't born yet), then he was serving in some other Estonian SS formation.
November 1944, in Posen (Poznan) by initiatives of (senior intelligence officer of former Estonian army) col. Saarsen, was formed Estonian battalion FA-326 (Abwehrgruppe 326 or Frontaufgeklärungstruppe 326) commanded by German captain Helmuth Damerau.
Veterans of this battalion are talking about a Deutschbalt Sonderführer von zur Mühlen. In hes lectures he did not told about politics of III Reich, but very thoroughly about construction of car.