Walloons

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

kordts
Supporter

Walloons

Post by kordts »

I just finished "Campaign in Russia" by Degrelle. It is a pretty decent book. The prose is quite good. Probably the best of any WWII memoir I have read so far. He presents his Walloons as Boy Scouts. Were they ever accused or suspected of atrocities? Most other accounts credit them as hard fighters.

Peace out,

Kordts
Here dead lie we because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose;
But young men think it is, and we were young.
Here Dead Lie We by A.E. Houseman
domitian

Post by domitian »

I would also try to find out some more about Degrelle before you start to admire him. :shock:
He certainly was'nt a boy-scout!
kordts
Supporter

Post by kordts »

I didn't say I admired Degrelle, I said his prose was good. However, if he didn't idolize Hitler so much, I probably would respect him more. I like his railings against corrupt politicians and business, though.

Peace out,

Kordts
domitian

Post by domitian »

O yes he was idolising Hitler very well. He even denied the Holocaust. So when he can't even aknowledge true historical facts than he isn't a very reliable source for other things he's wrinting about.
geisa

walloons

Post by geisa »

domitian wrote:O yes he was idolising Hitler very well. He even denied the Holocaust. So when he can't even aknowledge true historical facts than he isn't a very reliable source for other things he's wrinting about.
" He even denied the Holocaust "...Good gracious, could we not get into this subject, on this forum. Please??
kordts
Supporter

Degrelle

Post by kordts »

The reason I started this topic was for information about the Walloons. I know enough not take as gospel a book written by somebody like Degrelle. I think my posts speak for themselves, I am not a fascist, rexist or nazi. I simply asked if the walloons were as clean as portrayed in the book. If you can't help me out, don't respond.

Peace out,

Kordts
geisa

Re: Degrelle

Post by geisa »

kordts wrote:The reason I started this topic was for information about the Walloons. I know enough not take as gospel a book written by somebody like Degrelle. I think my posts speak for themselves, I am not a fascist, rexist or nazi. I simply asked if the walloons were as clean as portrayed in the book. If you can't help me out, don't respond.

Peace out,

Kordts
Hello Kordts,
I appreciated your reply and clarification. I just added my two cents' worth as a reply to another poster who mentioned the...holocaust. Out of context here as far as I'm concerned.
A good read about the Walloons is a book written by Eddy De Bruyne, titled " Les Wallons meurent à l'Est - Degrelle et les légionnaires Wallons au front Russe, 1941 - 1945"
Unfortunately in french only, unless there is an english translation available?

Happy New Year!
Joe
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Degrelle

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

geisa wrote:
kordts wrote:The reason I started this topic was for information about the Walloons. I know enough not take as gospel a book written by somebody like Degrelle. I think my posts speak for themselves, I am not a fascist, rexist or nazi. I simply asked if the walloons were as clean as portrayed in the book. If you can't help me out, don't respond.

Peace out,

Kordts
Hello Kordts,
I appreciated your reply and clarification. I just added my two cents' worth as a reply to another poster who mentioned the...holocaust. Out of context here as far as I'm concerned.
A good read about the Walloons is a book written by Eddy De Bruyne, titled " Les Wallons meurent à l'Est - Degrelle et les légionnaires Wallons au front Russe, 1941 - 1945"
Unfortunately in french only, unless there is an english translation available?

Happy New Year!
Joe
Hello Kordts,
I agree with Geisa. Eddy De Bruyne's book is very well and explicite.
And so far as I know ( Eddy can confirm I think ) the Walloon volunteers of the ''Légion Wallonie'' where never suspected or accused of any atrocities at all during the russian campaign. I can't say it where Boy Scouts but they where fighting very well and they had many losses.
Attention, I don't caution their choice to fight with the Germans but for the most of them it was their idiology to fight against Bolchewisme that push them to do it
I beg your pardon for my poor english
Happy New Year everybody
Prosper
kordts
Supporter

Walloons

Post by kordts »

Prosper and geisa,
thanks for the enlightening replies. Degrelle basically says that he fought to help ensure that Belgium would have a little leeway with Germany and hopefully independance in the future.

Peace out,

Kordts
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Walloons

kordts wrote:Prosper and geisa,
thanks for the enlightening replies. Degrelle basically says that he fought to help ensure that Belgium would have a little leeway with Germany and hopefully independance in the future.

Peace out,

Kordts
Hi Kordts,
That's right about Degrelle. But it was only a dream. He thought that after the war, he will be the leader of '' La Grande Bourgogne'' a country including Belgium, a part of France and a part of the Netherlands.
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper
kordts
Supporter

Walloons

Post by kordts »

Is Degrelle pretty much reviled in Belgium? How are the veterans treated?

Peace out,

Kordts
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Belgians rarely talk about Degrelle, I think it is normal because the new generation don't know him. It's better so
Regards
Prosper
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:Belgians rarely talk about Degrelle, I think it is normal because the new generation don't know him. It's better so
Regards
Prosper
It is because political correctness still reign in Belgium. :oops:
fons

Post by fons »

Been to belgium lately? have you ever been there at all?
I would say belgium was the least problematic in this sense of all the countries in north-west europe...

fons
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

ah, but since Degrelle lived in Spain for more than 50 years until his death in 1994, do Spaniards admire him, etc? Ah, and heh heh, in Spain, they have a "Friends of Leon Degrelle Cultural Association". Their site is http://www.leondegrelle.org, which is full of his writings, but it is not racist, neo nazi, etc. 8) rare......

anyway, you claim that Degrelle fought for his dreams of ruling Belgium. False, may I correct you, in his article "The Story of the Waffen SS", which is available for vieweing on the link I provided, he says that he fought for European culture against the Soviet Union, and for a Europe he claimed that would extend all the way to Vladivastok :shock: just my 2 cents, please don't take it politically :D

helmut