Murge division

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Murge division

Post by Lupo Solitario »

I read reports this unit had quite be destroyed by Yugo partisans in February 1943...it seems me a very hard result in fightings against irregular forces

Anyone has details?
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

I read reports this unit had quite be destroyed by Yugo partisans in February 1943...it seems me a very hard result in fightings against irregular forces
I believe that a large body of the Division Murge was wiped out during the partisan ambush and not the entire Italian divison. I think it was a motorised column or combat group or something like that whose task was to block the main partisan army from moving out from encirclement. This happened in February 1943 during the Battle of Neretva. If you look for more details I am afraid you will have to be more specific. lp, Klemen
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
FB

Post by FB »

In an Italian book about the events in the area after Sept. 8, I read that part of one of the Div. Regiments was recovering/reorganizing from the losses suffered earlier on in the year during a rather long Italo-German anti partizan operation.

I could be more precise (but the book, dealing with later events, doesn't state much more) but the book in question is still in a box, after a relocation. The title is "Non solo armistizio" and the author was, iirc, an Officer in Ufficio "I" (Informations) of Murge Division.

Best regards
Mishar
Supporter

Post by Mishar »

In my knowledge,the elements of the Operational Group(1st Proleterian,2nd Proletarian and the 7th Bania Division-top divisions)in a series of skillful flank attacks and using a bold maneuver in the period between 9th February and the 23rd March 1943 have wiped out(I mean,the largest part)of the Murge Division and have established a new frontline that was very important in the last part of the "Operation Weiss".

Unfortunately,I don't have any particular details.I have an excellent book about the "Operation Schwarz",but not on the "Operation Weiss''.
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Ok, mainly I am looking for:
1) some data about losses (I mean, an italian division should be at least an 8000 man strong) and make a ratio
2) some detail about tactical situation. Was there artillery and aviation? Had italians wrong something, had alternatives or what?
Mishar
Supporter

Post by Mishar »

In Prozor that was held by the Murge division I have this data:

During the battle around and in Prozor,from 15th to the 21st February 1943:

-killed:1.580 Italian soldiers and 25 officers
-captured:965 soldiers and 18 officers(between them one colonel and one lieutenant colonel)
-captured equipment:17 cannons,16 tanks,139 LMG's and 74 heavy machine guns(Breda),17 wagons of food,13 wagons of ammunition for cannons and mortars,1 700 000 riffle bullets.

Completly wiped out:259th Regiment of the Murge division,not counting the losses they have suffered in Jablanica.
rommel_gaj

Post by rommel_gaj »

Greetings,

check this very informative thread on "Comando Supremo":

http://www.comandosupremo.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

Cheers,

Gaius