Italian Parachute Assaults

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Freiritter
Associate

Italian Parachute Assaults

Post by Freiritter »

Did Italian paratroops ever conduct an airborne assault during WWII?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Only the conquest of Cefalonia in April 1941 (without fighting, too. There were no defenders on island)

For the rest, only commando action
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Lupo,

Was the Cephalonia a parachute drop?

From memory, I seem to recall that seaplanes may have been used to deliver the troops.

Cheers,

Sid.
DrG

Post by DrG »

There was the air drop on Cefalonia: http://www.geocities.com/kumbayaaa/itro ... a1941.html.
Then the large commando operation made by the ADRA (Arditi Distruttori Regia Aeronautica) made by 14 squads of 10 men each started in the night of 13-14 June 1943: http://bunker.altervista.org/wwadra.html (Italian text)
Some Italian parachitists of the Reparto Camionettisti attached to the 2. Fallschirmjäger Division took part to an airborne attack on the day before Christmas of 1943 in Russia, the losses were 26 wounded and killed (Italian article in this page: http://www.italia-rsi.org/farsi/farsidislocazione.htm ).
At the end of WW2 the Italian Cobelligerent [with the Allies] Army took part to operation Herring: http://www.comandosupremo.com/Herring.html.
DasReichX
Supporter

Post by DasReichX »

Cefalonia is a place of a massacre, isn't it?
DasReich.X
Mark
FB

Post by FB »

DasReichX wrote:Cefalonia is a place of a massacre, isn't it?
Correct. The Aqui Division (and other smaller units) were "terminated" there.

best regards
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

FB wrote:
DasReichX wrote:Cefalonia is a place of a massacre, isn't it?
Correct. The Aqui Division (and other smaller units) were "terminated" there.

best regards
Addition: it happened in september 1943, more than two years after the named airdrop
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Sid,
the float planes (Cant. Z 506) landing was a Quixote enterprise by less than 100 Reali Carabinieri which arrived at Corfù on 28 April 1941. Everything went well as the local Greeks Regiment - three battalions of home guards - were willing to surrender, accorging their HQ orders, asking only for food (like at Cefalonia). The floatplanes were then used at Cefalonia too, on 30 April 1941, after the paratroopers drop, and, on 1 May, at Zante.
Bye EC
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Enrico,

Thanks. I am not going mad after all! There was a little truth to my memory.

Do you know anything about a seaplane landing by Italian-equipped Peruvian troops behind Ecuadoran lines in 1940 or 1941? I think the Peruvians landed a company to seize a port in the Ecuadoran rear.

Cheers,

Sid.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

I knew about paratroopers actions but not float planes landings. Is there any further detail available? EC
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Enrico,

Somewhere deep in my garage, buried under thousands of other books, I have several Peruvian and Ecuadoran military histories that I picked up while back-packing in South America in the 1980s. Unfortunately they are so deeply buried I can't get to them at present. If I ever do, I will let you know.

Cheers,

Sid.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I read somewhere that the Peruvians beat Hitler to the use of paratroopers in unit strength, dropping in March 1940, and that Hitler was a bit miffed as he wanted to be the first to use this new weapon. I didn't know that they were Italian-equipped. I would love to know more about this operation. The Italians parachuted in East Africa but in such small numbers that it didn't really really qualify as an airborne operation, a little like the delivery by parachute of a couple of replacement officers to 2 PARA in the Falklands in 1982.

PK
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Did any Italian paras serve in Yugoslavia?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

No. There were some little sabouters activities in Dalmatia in 1944-1945 against the just occupied Dalmatia harbours, but also if they were made by penny-packets patrols of X MAS men of the NP (Nuotatori-Paracadutisti, swimmers-paratroopers) they were carried by small submarines of the CB class manned by the X MAS sailors, not airborne.
Bye EC
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

to be correct: in winter 1942-43 the 185th Para Regiment had a tour of duty in Isonzo valley but IIRC they stayed always on this site of pre-war border (XXIII Corps operation area). Anyway that is actually Slovenia

bye
Lupo